PDA

View Full Version : Wide Beach on the Murray (Near Strathmerton)

Bob
30th April 2013, 09:32 AM
Wide Beach is a great spot to Camp on the Murray and as its name suggests it is a Wide Beach of clean Sand.
Ideal Family Camping spot
Not far from Strathmerton to replenish Supplies
Also a very clean Public Toilet Block is in the Town with Hot Showers available for Campers (Coin Fed)
Rubbish can also be dumped in Bins supplied by the Local Community
Accessible for Caravans

GPS Co-Ordinates are :-

S 35Degrees 48.696
E 145 Degrees 38.630

Easily accessed from Strathmerton on well made Dirt Roads until near the Camp

There are numerous other Camp Spots along this stretch of the Murray (Either Bush or on Sand Banks)

If you Camp at this Spot I hope you enjoy as much as we do

Her are some Pics of the Area
You will notice in the last Pic there was a Fire on the Beach. I can assure you that prior to leaving all Ashes were buried (after being extinguished) in a spot off the Beach and the sand Raked over to fit in with the rest of the Beach

Bloodyaussie
30th April 2013, 09:48 AM
Thank you very much Bob!!!!!

Sir Roofy
30th April 2013, 09:57 AM
Looks over crowded there bob

taslucas
30th April 2013, 11:45 AM
Beautiful looking spot mate

FanTapstic!

jack
30th April 2013, 12:04 PM
Great looking spot Bob

rusty_nail
30th April 2013, 02:01 PM
is this the spot you head noth of out of the middle to western end of town? absolutely top spot guys, it does get busy, but there is nothing more peaceful than camping on the murray hey.

Bob
30th April 2013, 02:06 PM
is this the spot you head noth of out of the middle to western end of town? absolutely top spot guys, it does get busy, but there is nothing more peaceful than camping on the murray hey.

You head out on the Road to Ulupna Island and that Road is at the Western end of Strathmerton.
We were lucky as there were only 3 Camps on the Beach but the time before was at least 10 Camps

rusty_nail
30th April 2013, 02:07 PM
yep thats the spot. glad you got to enjoy it mate!

threedogs
30th April 2013, 02:14 PM
AAah the serenity, and fish there as well. looks like it ticks all the boxes,
did you tick the fly box or starting to get too cold for them now,???

Bob
30th April 2013, 02:19 PM
AAah the serenity, and fish there as well. looks like it ticks all the boxes,
did you tick the fly box or starting to get too cold for them now,???

There were a few around but when the Wind came up they disappeared.
The Weather was very mild for this time of the Year but the Nights were quite fresh.
There was lots of good Wood from Trees knocked down in that Tornado recently

threedogs
9th September 2013, 04:24 PM
I'm liking it, I'll show Phil tomorrow.
I'll see what Janderson has to say first though

Bob
9th September 2013, 06:14 PM
Just received this email from Parks Victoria

We will be going to Carters Beach which is very close to Wide Beach

'Hi Bob,

Key visitor destination that are currently closed:

• Barmah Lakes Camping Ground & Day Visitor Area
• Barmah Island
• The Gulf boat ramp
• Morgans Mill boat ramp
• Ulupna Island, Ulupna Beach, Doctors Bend, Pump Beach, Breen’s Beach, Forest Beach.

Key destination that are currently open:

There is limited access at the Western end of the National Park along the first 500 metres of Sand Ridge Track, access to the Dharnya Centre education area. Park visitors as they access this small area of the National Park at Rices Bridge (off Moira Lakes road) are able to use boat ramp. Visitors can then launch into the Broken Creek and then access the Murray River to the North. This location is also where commercial boat tour operators depart from. Visitors can also access the small section (300 metres approx) of Boundary Track heading South from Sand Ridge Track along to Rices Weir where are a couple of dispersed camp sites. This is a popular fishing destination.

Visitors to the area can also access some high bank camping at what is called the Ranch (Murray River Park), this fronts the Murray River and has not been affected by flood water. The Ranch is located approximately 2km South of the Barmah township.

Visitors can also access a small section of high bank camping at Carters Beach, there is limited camp sites available.

Another alternative is the Broken Creek (Natural Features Reserve) from Barmah to Nathalia and then onto Numurkah, over 40km’s of creek frontage that is not affected by any flood waters. Visitors can enjoy camping, fishing, boating, canoeing and this area is pet friendly.

Kind regards,

Dianne Murcott
Information Centre - Parks Victoria
Ph: 13 1963

NP99
9th September 2013, 06:24 PM
Ulupna is pretty boggy on a good day! Campers would leave it messy when I camped there in the 80s. All up there is a great camping. Cod numbers are up too I hear.

janderson
9th September 2013, 06:34 PM
Just received this email from Parks Victoria

We will be going to Carters Beach which is very close to Wide Beach

'Hi Bob,

Key visitor destination that are currently closed:

• Barmah Lakes Camping Ground & Day Visitor Area
• Barmah Island
• The Gulf boat ramp
• Morgans Mill boat ramp
• Ulupna Island, Ulupna Beach, Doctors Bend, Pump Beach, Breen’s Beach, Forest Beach.

Key destination that are currently open:

There is limited access at the Western end of the National Park along the first 500 metres of Sand Ridge Track, access to the Dharnya Centre education area. Park visitors as they access this small area of the National Park at Rices Bridge (off Moira Lakes road) are able to use boat ramp. Visitors can then launch into the Broken Creek and then access the Murray River to the North. This location is also where commercial boat tour operators depart from. Visitors can also access the small section (300 metres approx) of Boundary Track heading South from Sand Ridge Track along to Rices Weir where are a couple of dispersed camp sites. This is a popular fishing destination.

Visitors to the area can also access some high bank camping at what is called the Ranch (Murray River Park), this fronts the Murray River and has not been affected by flood water. The Ranch is located approximately 2km South of the Barmah township.

Visitors can also access a small section of high bank camping at Carters Beach, there is limited camp sites available.

Another alternative is the Broken Creek (Natural Features Reserve) from Barmah to Nathalia and then onto Numurkah, over 40km’s of creek frontage that is not affected by any flood waters. Visitors can enjoy camping, fishing, boating, canoeing and this area is pet friendly.

Kind regards,

Dianne Murcott
Information Centre - Parks Victoria
Ph: 13 1963

So you are now going to carters beach now

Bob
9th September 2013, 06:45 PM
Yes Jeff..................

Bob
9th September 2013, 07:00 PM
Ulupna is pretty boggy on a good day! Campers would leave it messy when I camped there in the 80s. All up there is a great camping. Cod numbers are up too I hear.

Cod Season is closed until 1st December

janderson
9th September 2013, 07:01 PM
Yes Jeff..................

top spot, spent many times there. will try and drop in on Friday or Saturday.
Don't forget to feed me mate.

Bob
9th September 2013, 07:03 PM
Be great to see you again Jeff

Just for those who don't know the spot

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1921-Carters-Beach-on-the-Murray

NP99
9th September 2013, 07:10 PM
Cod Season is closed until 1st December

Yes, my brother in law lives close by. He can catch them just by dropping his anchor overboard :)