PDA

View Full Version : 12V stove

Winnie
26th April 2013, 07:28 PM
Last weekend I went to Dargo with a few mates and when we got to the top of the pinnacles, one guy goes "who wants a hot pie?" We laughed because it was snowing outside, he goes to the back of his car and pulls out 5 hot pies. I thought he must have had a Travel Buddy but no, a $40 12V stove from Dick Smith! We were eating party pies and chicken strips all day! I went and bought one today, put half an inch of water in the bottom of it and cooked dim sims on the way home from work!
At over $200 I was never interested in a Travel Buddy but at $40 I snatched this up and it works great!

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/M4515/dick-smith-12v-dc-portable-stove

Only problem is that the lead gets pretty warm so I am going to open it up and put some thicker cable in. I reckon it's a great little toy!

MudRunnerTD
26th April 2013, 07:31 PM
yeah i went through a couple of those and never liked the hot lead and went the travel buddy and never looked back.

Bloodyaussie
26th April 2013, 07:55 PM
What were the pies like???

gaddy
26th April 2013, 08:09 PM
I could see that been great when night fishing the beaches in the middle of winter

Steve

Woof
26th April 2013, 08:11 PM
Just found them here for $26 http://www.yourchoyceshop.com.au/buy/12v-dc-portable-stove-82516

Cuppa
26th April 2013, 08:14 PM
I suggest that whilst you are replacing the cable that you also change the plug to either an Anderson plug or at the least a quality Hella style plug & socket & install heavier wires going to the battery (via a suitable fuse) . Cig lighters are not designed to take that sort of current & you risk setting fire to your car because of the wires supplying the cig lighter plug overheating. It would also be wise to ensure that it is wired so that it can only operate with the ignition switched on (ie. motor running) to avoid inadvertantly flattening your battery. Using a relay to achieve this would make sense.

Cuppa

threedogs
26th April 2013, 08:20 PM
X 2 with Cuppa plus big price difference between the Travell Buddy and the Dick Smith unit
considering they do the same thing. Dick smith for me, heard lots of good reports about them

Winnie
26th April 2013, 08:22 PM
I suggest that whilst you are replacing the cable that you also change the plug to either an Anderson plug or at the least a quality Hella style plug & socket & install heavier wires going to the battery (via a suitable fuse) . Cig lighters are not designed to take that sort of current & you risk setting fire to your car because of the wires supplying the cig lighter plug overheating. It would also be wise to ensure that it is wired so that it can only operate with the ignition switched on (ie. motor running) to avoid inadvertantly flattening your battery. Using a relay to achieve this would make sense.

Cuppa

Doesn't use as much juice as you'd think, the element is very small, has a 15A fuse in it, some cig chargers are up to 10A.

What were the pies like???

Just like they had come out of a pie warmer.

Just found them here for $26 http://www.yourchoyceshop.com.au/buy/12v-dc-portable-stove-82516

Bargain!!

Bloodyaussie
26th April 2013, 08:45 PM

Good find.. ordered one.

AB
26th April 2013, 09:44 PM
Looks like it would draw about 10amps.

Cuppa
26th April 2013, 11:59 PM
Doesn't use as much juice as you'd think, the element is very small, has a 15A fuse in it,

Yep I read that in the specs. Pulling 10 amps is plenty to cause a fire if the wires supplying the cig lighter are too light. It is not reasonable to assume that if a cig lighter is rated at up to 10 amps that the wires supplying it are. It is also a bit suss that a 15 amp fuse is supplied for use with cig lighters rated for 10 amps. The fact that the supplied cable gets pretty warm is also not an indicator of a quality appliance. Still it's your car & your decision about what you choose to do mate. I still suggest that at the very least that you ensure the supply wires to the cig plug are as heavy as those you intend to upgrade the appliance cable to, & that you check the current rating of your particular cig lighter socket. The advantage of spending a few more dollars on quality Hella type socket & plug is that they have more contact surface & a more secure connection, making it less likely to overheat because of resistance from a poor connection.

Cuppa

TPC
27th April 2013, 12:14 AM
Yep I read that in the specs. Pulling 10 amps is plenty to cause a fire if the wires supplying the cig lighter are too light. It is not reasonable to assume that if a cig lighter is rated at up to 10 amps that the wires supplying it are. It is also a bit suss that a 15 amp fuse is supplied for use with cig lighters rated for 10 amps. The fact that the supplied cable gets pretty warm is also not an indicator of a quality appliance. Still it's your car & your decision about what you choose to do mate. I still suggest that at the very least that you ensure the supply wires to the cig plug are as heavy as those you intend to upgrade the appliance cable to, & that you check the current rating of your particular cig lighter socket. The advantage of spending a few more dollars on quality Hella type socket & plug is that they have more contact surface & a more secure connection, making it less likely to overheat because of resistance from a poor connection.

Cuppa

Agree with you Cuppa, through my work I have seen what happens when under rated plugs and wiring are used for high current devices, and 10 amps is high current for a car appliance.

I am thinking of buying one of these myself but will change the wiring and use an Anderson plug, will also only use it on aux battery when not running.

NP99
27th April 2013, 12:21 AM

Nearly half price.....same item......there is always a hefty markup on gear :(

Winnie
27th April 2013, 07:17 AM

Cuppa

I've got 2 cig sockets under the seat with 6mm cable running to them so I'll be right there

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

AB
27th April 2013, 07:40 AM
Agree with cuppa too. As a safety precaution I wouldn't use it on the standard cig plug on the dash.

Whoever gets one of these though can they give us a report back...lol

twase
27th April 2013, 08:13 AM
FYI, if you have heating on the leads then you have significant power (IR) loss in the leads, upgrading them to a larger csa will result in the device drawing even more power from your lighter socket. Although the result might be hotter pies quicker I would suggest measuring the current draw after the lead upgrade to make sure you are not overloading your vehicles wiring.

kevin07
27th April 2013, 08:39 AM
well being a coeliac ( gluten intolerance) im up for one as i have to take food with me most of the time

Yendor
27th April 2013, 08:59 AM
Looks good Winnie. Can you adjust the temperature?

healy
27th April 2013, 09:11 AM
Nothing better than a travel buddy think I bought one last year at the 4x4 show for $150

Winnie
27th April 2013, 09:15 AM
Looks good Winnie. Can you adjust the temperature?

Nope no adjustment

threedogs
27th April 2013, 10:16 AM
Did Jaycar do a similar product ??, Must show yawl my hotdog cooker[homemade]
Fashioned it using a pot and guts from a 12v kettle.

@ Winnie how did Dim Sims turn out never had them boiled before or were you steaming them somehow??

I only used my unit via the AUX Batt cig outlet, but much prefer merit/anderson, But when travelling in convoy and sharing equipment not all people have EG a Merit socket, Thats why I've made adaptors for cig to merit and vice versa Easy to make and cheap to.

Winnie
27th April 2013, 10:22 AM
Did Jaycar do a similar product ??, Must show yawl my hotdog cooker[homemade]
Fashioned if using a pot and guts from a 12v kettle.
@ Winnie how did Dim Sims turn out never had them boiled before or were you steaming them somehow??

Little bit of water in the bottom and they steamed nicely.

threedogs
27th April 2013, 10:33 AM
Cool, steamed dimmys after a some wheeling how goods that.

MC97GQ
27th April 2013, 11:36 AM
Has anyone got a photo of it out of the plastic case or at least open,

Sounds like a good thing.

Mark

threedogs
27th April 2013, 12:15 PM
Think they look like alloy dishes both sides {smooth] , so you could for EG tip in a few tins of baked beans
go driving while they warm up.
This is pic of larger style

Winnie
27th April 2013, 12:24 PM
Think they look like alloy dishes both sides {smooth] , so you could for EG tip in a few tins of baked beans
go driving while they warm up.

Yep that's right. Easy clean up too. Just did a chiko roll yummy

MC97GQ
27th April 2013, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the photo 3dogs,

Winnie, how do you know how long to cook the food for: ie do you know what temperature it works at.

Sorry for all the questions just curious.

Mark

Winnie
27th April 2013, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't cook food in it, just heat it up. Just gotta guess whether it's done or not really. It says heats to 150c but would depend on what's in it.

threedogs
27th April 2013, 01:30 PM
look it up on ebay or similar and it tells you times like rice 30mins pies maybe 50 min stuff like that'
But I would think that would vary, cant think of anything better on a freezing day driving to whip out a few pies like Winnies mate did.

janderson
27th April 2013, 07:17 PM
Well for only $26 delivered, I purchase one. Be great when in the bush all day cutting fire wood. Homemade hot meat pies for lunch, got to be better than sandwiches.

NP99
29th April 2013, 02:38 AM
Damn........DS had them on sale while back for $15

threedogs
29th April 2013, 09:04 AM
@ Winnie you should have brought shares before you told everyone about them lol

@NP99 wow thats a good price, Jaycar sell a similar unit for $50.
Can see it staying in the 4BY all the time,
might have to start a sticky for recipes

Bloodyaussie
29th April 2013, 09:30 AM
Well for only $26 delivered, I purchase one. Be great when in the bush all day cutting fire wood. Homemade hot meat pies for lunch, got to be better than sandwiches.

Thats right... nice change from the normal lunch options.. I will be re doing all the power leads and plug though??

threedogs
29th April 2013, 10:32 AM
@ Kevin07 heres what I take camping, as not many ppl have compatible 12v accessories.
as for the stove you might just want to change the plug to merit if you're not confident in pulling the pie
warmer/stove apart. Hopefully another member will do a DIY project for all to follow, hint to someone.
As you can see I have a plug for any situation
@ BA can you do step by step so others can upgrade their stove as I think a few were sold in the last week lol

threedogs
1st May 2013, 01:02 PM
Bumped, My stove just arrived, interested to see how it makes grilled cheese sandwich.
Smaller than what I thought , about 2 pies wide, But for the price I can't complain.
Might make a small rack to house 4 x pies. I'll give it a run asap
Now we need recipe thread

jack
1st May 2013, 01:30 PM
Still waiting on mine, we have a recipe thread but looks like it lapsed.
Maybe time to restart it http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1526-Recipes-and-Food

Edit; It's arrived, now to work out how to replace the lead as advised by Cuppa

Maxhead
1st May 2013, 03:07 PM
Still waiting on mine, we have a recipe thread but looks like it lapsed.
Maybe time to restart it http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1526-Recipes-and-Food

Edit; It's arrived, now to work out how to replace the lead as advised by Cuppa

I don't reckon you need any recipes. Its just plug in, throw in the tucker, wait and enjoy :)

Winnie
1st May 2013, 05:04 PM
That's right, maybe not so much recipes, but "what is REALLY awesome in this thing"
I did a chiko roll the other day.

Stropp
1st May 2013, 06:17 PM
mmm chicko roll reminds me of the sheila on the harley eatin a chicko roll mmmm :)

threedogs
1st May 2013, 06:21 PM
@ strop big bucks that poster now. how would you do a grilled sandwich or rice.
are you just re heating??/

Still haven't used my Dream pot and had that 3-4 yrs now

Winnie
1st May 2013, 06:50 PM
Yeah the little book that comes with it says you can do grilled cheese sangers.... I guess because the bottom gets pretty damn hot that would grill it?

meh
2nd May 2013, 08:57 AM
Jaycar have these on sale at the moment $39.95
New store opened at browns plains

jack
2nd May 2013, 11:04 AM
meh, looks exactly the same as the $26 version except I think it heats up to 150C

janderson
2nd May 2013, 05:17 PM
meh, looks exactly the same as the $26 version except I think it heats up to 150C

Mine arrived today. It also heats to 150c, the $26 one

NP99
2nd May 2013, 06:30 PM
The DS procurement manager must be scratching his head. wtf with the spike in sales :)

threedogs
2nd May 2013, 06:49 PM
@ NP99 told Winnie to buy shares before letting the cat out of the bag,

ShaunM
2nd May 2013, 08:18 PM
The DS procurement manager must be scratching his head. wtf with the spike in sales :)

Haha, I've ordered one too. Looking forward to a hot lunch on the road.

janderson
3rd May 2013, 06:35 PM
Tested mine today. Run it for about 2 hours. The plug didn't get hot at all, the lead did get a little warm but I don't think its an issue. The unit itself did get quite hot, I would be careful as to what it sits on during use.

Winnie
3rd May 2013, 06:41 PM
Really? The plastic outer of mine doesn't get warm at all.

janderson
3rd May 2013, 06:47 PM

I better have a closer look tomorrow. Maybe check the inside temp.

Bloodyaussie
3rd May 2013, 07:08 PM
Mine arrived today but have yet not unpacked it yet.....

Will test it tomorrow!!

janderson
4th May 2013, 04:20 PM

test done. Lead at 30c to 32c over 3 hour period. Plug remained cool. However it was a problem to keep it in the socket, kept on popping out enough to turn off. Inside base reached 142c in 1 hour and got to 150c when checked at 3 hours. Bottom of the unit on the out side, after 1 hour 40c, and after 2 hours it reached 51c. Temp around the centre on the out side reached 66c in 2 hours.

NP99
4th May 2013, 04:28 PM
Jaycar have these on sale at the moment $39.95
New store opened at browns plains

High jack for a moment, that cig lighter ext cord in the jaycar advert looks like a potential problem!!!

threedogs
4th May 2013, 06:21 PM
Going to put a merit plug on mine tomorrow, never liked cig lighters plugs on anything 4x4.
Brought a neat little red "T" handle for the 50 amp anderson plug, makes life easier
pulling them apart.

janderson
4th May 2013, 06:35 PM
Going to put a merit plug on mine tomorrow, never liked cig lighters plugs on anything 4x4.
Brought a neat little red "T" handle for the 50 amp anderson plug, makes life easier
pulling them apart.

I'm going to have to get some merit plugs and sockets and add to battery box. Use to use stainless marine plugs but cannot seem to be able to get them now.

NP99
5th May 2013, 12:54 AM
Sales will increase further. I gave the link to some army mates....... :)

Bloodyaussie
5th May 2013, 09:00 AM
How long would it take to cook a frozen meat pie?????

Winnie
5th May 2013, 09:36 AM
At least an hour I reckon, probably more. The idea is to put the stuff in before you're hungry when you're on the tracks, and when you pull up to camp it's ready.

BigRAWesty
5th May 2013, 10:36 AM
Would be good to set the temps.. I know for a fact that a meat pie will be ready to eat from frozen in 3hours at 80 degrees.
But she would be one sorry looking pie at 150...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

NP99
5th May 2013, 10:43 AM
Would be good to set the temps.. I know for a fact that a meat pie will be ready to eat from frozen in 3hours at 80 degrees.
But she would be one sorry looking pie at 150...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Maybe 90min@150?

MEGOMONSTER
5th May 2013, 09:13 PM
Last weekend I went to Dargo with a few mates and when we got to the top of the pinnacles, one guy goes "who wants a hot pie?" We laughed because it was snowing outside, he goes to the back of his car and pulls out 5 hot pies. I thought he must have had a Travel Buddy but no, a $40 12V stove from Dick Smith! We were eating party pies and chicken strips all day! I went and bought one today, put half an inch of water in the bottom of it and cooked dim sims on the way home from work!
At over $200 I was never interested in a Travel Buddy but at $40 I snatched this up and it works great!

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/M4515/dick-smith-12v-dc-portable-stove

Only problem is that the lead gets pretty warm so I am going to open it up and put some thicker cable in. I reckon it's a great little toy!

Went and looked at this today at Dick Smiths Point Cook and is a little small for my liking. But I suppose for a couple pies it'll be good enough.

threedogs
5th May 2013, 09:19 PM
@ Mego Yeah not for a 3 course meal ,but great to have some hot food after a few hours 4x4ing
on a chilly day. While you do your thing its cooking [heating] away ready for your lunch break

NP99
5th May 2013, 09:20 PM
Went and looked at this today at Dick Smiths Point Cook and is a little small for my liking. But I suppose for a couple pies it'll be good enough.

It's ok for a few beers if you're from the motherland :)

MEGOMONSTER
5th May 2013, 09:21 PM
@ Mego Yeah not for a 3 course meal ,but great to have some hot food after a few hours 4x4ing
on a chilly day. While you do your thing its cooking [heating] away ready for your lunch break

That's why I went to have a look at one, I thought this would be great when going fishing on a day trip.

Bloodyaussie
5th May 2013, 09:22 PM
That's why I went to have a look at one, I thought this would be great when going fishing on a day trip.

In your giant hands it would look like a box of matches????

threedogs
5th May 2013, 09:26 PM
Just fill it with baked beans/spagetti and crack some eggs on top, Happy days with some crusty bread

MEGOMONSTER
5th May 2013, 09:32 PM
I am still contemplating which way to go.
Even the travel buddy looks tiny and expensive.
But looks great.

threedogs
5th May 2013, 09:34 PM
Have a look at the Jaycar unit ,pretty sure thats bigger

MEGOMONSTER
5th May 2013, 09:34 PM
I'd love to put some cheese kranskis in one and have then ready to snack on later. That sounds like a plan. Mmmmmmmm kranskis.
I think I'll have another look at them, with an open mind.

Bloodyaussie
5th May 2013, 09:38 PM
I'd love to put some cheese kranskis in one and have then ready to snack on later. That sounds like a plan. Mmmmmmmm kranskis.
I think I'll have another look at them, with an open mind.

Your making me hungry... I love a Kransky in a roll with ham cheese and tomato and tomato sauce...yum yum!!!

threedogs
5th May 2013, 09:39 PM
I'm a hot CSABI fan at camp. cut a piece and toast over fire mmmmmmm Csabi

MEGOMONSTER
5th May 2013, 09:49 PM
I love a good kaiserfleisch on a camp fire and would probably work just as well in this 12v stove.
Kaiserfleisch is just smoked pork belly.
I think I am being too picky, as I am just used to the big pie warmers and see this little tiny box of a warmer.

threedogs
12th May 2013, 10:54 AM
This is what I used to use, called it my Hotdog cooker. Just took the guts out of a 12v kettle and put in inside this pot.
Controlled by a thermostat, just plug in go driving for an hour or so. cut some rolls in half. Instant HOT DOGS.
Will try this Dick Smith one up Tallarook on the 2nd with BA and the gang. thinking heinz spaggetti with 2 eggs cracked on top.
This product is a good example of value for money, If I get 10 meals out of it, I'd be happy. Looked after I can see it lasting a while.

@ Winnie which ones you find better Chicko rolls or Dim Sims, just getting ideas for meals

Winnie
12th May 2013, 10:58 AM
Well that depends if you like chiko rolls or dim sims better! Both tasted like they came from the fish and chip shop.

threedogs
12th May 2013, 11:00 AM
Thinking big pile of steamed dimmy's now .
Thanks Winnie

NP99
22nd May 2013, 01:01 AM
Check out the price here

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LION-PRODUCTS-12-VOLT-PORTABLE-OVEN-STOVE-/261088500076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cca16596c&_uhb=1

BigRAWesty
22nd May 2013, 01:12 AM
Check out the price here

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LION-PRODUCTS-12-VOLT-PORTABLE-OVEN-STOVE-/261088500076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cca1 6596c&_uhb=1

Bargin...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

patrolmq
22nd May 2013, 11:53 AM

Thanks, got mine from these guys, bargain! Just need to find a use for it now LOL!

NP99
22nd May 2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks, got mine from these guys, bargain! Just need to find a use for it now LOL!

Much better than the $80 odd

mudski
22nd May 2013, 09:18 PM
How long did you have to wait for delivery. I ordered mine on the 6th and its still not here. One thing i have noticed that they never sent a confirmation email and my email addy I used they don't recognize now.

ShaunM
22nd May 2013, 10:28 PM
How long did you have to wait for delivery. I ordered mine on the 6th and its still not here. One thing i have noticed that they never sent a confirmation email and my email addy I used they don't recognize now.

I ordered mine and got a confirmation email on the 1st. It hasn't arrived yet. I sent them a message requesting an ETA earlier tonight.

Woof
23rd May 2013, 01:26 AM
From memory mine took about 2 weeks, yes get in touch with them for sure

threedogs
23rd May 2013, 08:03 AM
Had to go back through this thread but mine only took 5-6 days,
contact them for sure.

mudski
23rd May 2013, 12:14 PM
Hmm. Can somebody tell me the name of the company who debited the fund from you on their bank statement? PM me with this if you wish. As I recieved no email conformation and my email addy no longer exists on their website I am thinking maybe I got it from somewhere else. But I was charged $26 on the day I ordered it from my CC account. I just need to confirm this part...But I do remember going on their website as I found it strange that I didn't need to create an account, Just order it, fill in your details on their website and pay for it...
Thanks.

threedogs
23rd May 2013, 12:47 PM
mine was paypal.
Plus has anyone done the wiring upgrade yet ,[DIY]

janderson
23rd May 2013, 04:18 PM
I did mine with PayPal to. It came from big pond shopping on ebay, $26. Was delivered in 3 or 4 days. I haven't done the wiring upgrade, used it heaps with no problems.

Woof
24th May 2013, 01:36 AM
Hmm. Can somebody tell me the name of the company who debited the fund from you on their bank statement? PM me with this if you wish. As I recieved no email conformation and my email addy no longer exists on their website I am thinking maybe I got it from somewhere else. But I was charged $26 on the day I ordered it from my CC account. I just need to confirm this part...But I do remember going on their website as I found it strange that I didn't need to create an account, Just order it, fill in your details on their website and pay for it...
Thanks.

Here you go mate, DEALSA PTY LTD INGLEBURN AUS

mudski
24th May 2013, 09:54 AM
Here you go mate, DEALSA PTY LTD INGLEBURN AUS
Thank you. Thats the company who took the money.

Just to be sure is was here where you got it from?
http://www.yourchoyceshop.com.au/buy/12v-dc-portable-stove-82516

Woof
24th May 2013, 03:10 PM
Thank you. Thats the company who took the money.

Just to be sure is was here where you got it from?
http://www.yourchoyceshop.com.au/buy/12v-dc-portable-stove-82516

That's it mate

jack
24th May 2013, 03:10 PM
Hi Mudski,

Got mine from them and took about 5 days max.
27 Apr 2013 DEALSA PTY LTD INGLEBURN -$26.00
Paid direct with credit card.

ShaunM
9th June 2013, 09:16 AM

Has yours turned up yet Mudski? I still haven't received mine despite several emails with Dealsdirect (who i found run the yourchoyceshop site).

threedogs
9th June 2013, 09:38 AM
Gee thats way too long, does PayPal cover that or have you done your dough,??

Bloodyaussie
9th June 2013, 09:40 AM
I got mine 4 or more weeks ago and only plugged it in last weekend.... leads did not get hot at all and I had it on for 4 hours.

I still have some learning to do on how to heat a good meat pie?

mudski
9th June 2013, 12:00 PM
Has yours turned up yet Mudski? I still haven't received mine despite several emails with Dealsdirect (who i found run the yourchoyceshop site).
Nup. Considered it gone. I contacted them, even though they have taken the money from my account, they said they need proof as they have no records of me purchasing it. What, your company name on my bank statement is not proof?

threedogs
9th June 2013, 12:22 PM
Only small amount ,but not the point if in Aust put the ombudsman on them.
Rip off 100 customers thats $2600 easy money in anyones book

Woof
9th June 2013, 08:42 PM
Nup. Considered it gone. I contacted them, even though they have taken the money from my account, they said they need proof as they have no records of me purchasing it. What, your company name on my bank statement is not proof?

That sucks mate, don't leave it............report them to Consumer affairs or Dept of Fair Trading, it is the principal of it all

Winnie
10th June 2013, 02:36 PM
I got mine 4 or more weeks ago and only plugged it in last weekend.... leads did not get hot at all and I had it on for 4 hours.

Open the lid every few minutes to let out the steam or it will be soggy. Turn the pie over every few minutes too. I had mini chicken Kievs on my trip which was amazing!

NP99
22nd September 2013, 04:45 AM
Did the out standing orders arrive guys?

ShaunM
22nd September 2013, 05:49 AM
Mine never came. I ended up getting my money refunded though. I've since bought a Travel Buddy and love it.

Clunk
22nd September 2013, 12:00 PM
Open the lid every few minutes to let out the steam or it will be soggy. Turn the pie over every few minutes too. I had mini chicken Kievs on my trip which was amazing!

But doesn't that defeat the purpose of switching them on, plonking the food in and leaving it until ready?

taslucas
22nd September 2013, 12:45 PM

and you call yourself a bloody aussie!

Bloodyaussie
22nd September 2013, 02:49 PM
You bored mate.....??

janderson
22nd September 2013, 04:02 PM
But doesn't that defeat the purpose of switching them on, plonking the food in and leaving it until ready?

I wrap the pies in foil, (spray foil with oil spray to stop sticking) place in oven top down for 1/2 hour. Turn over for another 1/2 hour to 1 hour. Doesn't go soggy at all.

Bloodyaussie
22nd September 2013, 06:55 PM
My pies are never soggy after I learnt to rotate and also open the lid every now and then....

Toasted ham and cheese sandwiches are the best!!

megatexture
22nd September 2013, 08:14 PM
I wrap the pies in foil, (spray foil with oil spray to stop sticking) place in oven top down for 1/2 hour. Turn over for another 1/2 hour to 1 hour. Doesn't go soggy at all.

After 1.5 hrs at 150 degrees nothing will be soggy lol

rafa
27th September 2013, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=Winnie;366415]Little bit of water in the bottom and they steamed nicely.

Winnie, were the dim sims sitting in water? how much is a little a bit and how long you cook em for?

what else have you cooked in them?

Marty

Winnie
27th September 2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah they did sit in the water, just fill it up about 1cm full of water and cooked for about 20 minutes, but I put boiling water in to start with and they would have been ready long before then but I did not check.