PDA

View Full Version : Cargo parcel shelf

threedogs
26th April 2013, 07:13 PM
Finished my roof platform so time to make so internal shelving.
Looking out the back it looks like I can make a decent size parcel shelf.
as with the previous build if I don't start this thread It'll never get started,
Thinking only 20mm RHS and some mesh left over from roof platform build.
I haven't measured it yet but think about 1100 x 900 with 200mm sides,
We'll see. Plus still have normal vision out the back. Dont like drawers ,too heavy 80kg plus after awhile you never know what you have in them and you are carting around stuff when your home,never heard of anyone removing drawers after a trip. IMO. Shelf is only for light stuff like pillows blankets ,etc

MudRunnerTD
26th April 2013, 07:34 PM
looking good 3D

gaddy
26th April 2013, 08:29 PM
Sounds like a good call I will be keen to see how it goes ,

Steve

threedogs
26th April 2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks there are 2 omg handles in the cargo area so should be possible without
drilling any holes. Will probably have led strip lighting of description, after removing
OE cargo light

pearcey
26th April 2013, 08:44 PM
TD I built one for my Mav mounted of the cargo barrier mounts and the third seat seat belt mount.
Carry solar panel and a couple of deck chairs which are now very easy to get to all so toss wet weather gear or parkas up there as these are some times bulky but are light and don`t damage hood linings and light fittings

threedogs
26th April 2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks I was surprised at how far down I could come with the shelf..
Also may incorporate a plexi glass cargo barrier 1/2 height from roof down

P4trol
26th April 2013, 09:27 PM
More pics 3D!

threedogs
27th April 2013, 10:29 AM
Those other pics are my roof rack I just made.
Only started thread so I could start shelf.

P4trol
27th April 2013, 11:43 AM
Sorry,

I was getting all excited too soon.

threedogs
28th April 2013, 08:24 PM
Whipped out the tape measure today and came up with a shelf that'll be
1200 wide and about 200mm down from the roof and just on 550mm deep approx.
the front flap I'm going to do spring loaded. I'll grab the steel tomorrow and
cut it all up and weld together.

BigRAWesty
29th April 2013, 01:46 AM
Good to see on of us is getting off our bums and doing this.. :o
I was looking at itcthe other day and instead of going off the 4 6mm screw for the handles, I was thinking a frame from 3rd row seat belt tops to 2nd row seat belts. And the put the shelf where you like. I think it'll be a lot stronger this way compared to the 4 screws..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
9th May 2013, 03:54 PM
Bit of an up date, its about 1200 wide by 650 deep and will hang down about 200mm More if I can get some one to hold while I measure.
But sadly that wont happen. Going to have plexi glass walls screwed to some 12mm round with tabs for clear. Front panel not sure yet ,
if I'll just use a small gate closer or some spring loaded hinges I have from "Q"mart. Getting there,
Also only using off cuts from my roof rack, so Its basically free.

@ Kallen Already use the third row seat bolt holes as my spare is mounted internally.

Bluecrab
4th June 2013, 10:54 PM
Gday, just wondering mate, what did you use to fix roof rack to bars? Rekon they look like Rhino bars same as mine. I used cpl of steel galved stilidge bases for platform and hold em on with s/s truck hose clamps. Just dunnit to hold my craypots, obviously I rachet strap all to the bars