PDA

View Full Version : Headlight turning itself on and flattening battery

PissantPatrol
18th December 2010, 08:00 PM
After rain and perhaps more particularly after splashing through water the left headlight turns itself on and flattens the battery...sometimes the case.

Otherwise the battery can lose charge overnight and still turn engine over but run out of crankiness if it doesn't fire and catch fairly quickly...often the case.

I'm not running out of crankiness...and I'm turning into a case.

Any ideas...like where to start?

Cheers,
Rick

Bigrig
18th December 2010, 08:07 PM
Sounds like an earthing problem to me mate - like the ground is hitting/touching the body of the car or something and hence lighting up. Others on here will have far more knowledge on this than me for sure, but I think to be able to come on without turning the switch is suggestive of an earthing issue. Have you checked the wiring behind the headlights and back to the fuse box??

YNOT
18th December 2010, 08:15 PM
Assuming the headlight wiring is still standard, the headlight turning itself on could be an intermittent short in the combination (headlight) switch. The headlights are switched independently (left and right) by the combination switch without the use of relays. It could be a good time to install a headlight loom with proper wiring and relays.

Battery discharging over night could be a faulty battery or alternator, or a current drain. First thing I would do is get the battery and alternator tested. If they both test OK you will need to do a current drawer test. To do this you will need to fit an amp meter in series with the battery cable and check what reading you get. Anything over about .05 amp and you have a problem, start removing fuses while watching the meter. When you pull a fuse and the current reading drops, you've found the circuit with the fault, and just need to find where in the circuit the fault is.

Tony

Bigrig
18th December 2010, 08:19 PM
Assuming the headlight wiring is still standard, the headlight turning itself on could be an intermittent short in the combination (headlight) switch. The headlights are switched independently (left and right) by the combination switch without the use of relays. It could be a good time to install a headlight loom with proper wiring and relays.

Battery discharging over night could be a faulty battery or alternator, or a current drain. First thing I would do is get the battery and alternator tested. If they both test OK you will need to do a current drawer test. To do this you will need to fit an amp meter in series with the battery cable and check what reading you get. Anything over about .05 amp and you have a problem, start removing fuses while watching the meter. When you pull a fuse and the current reading drops, you've found the circuit with the fault, and just need to find where in the circuit the fault is.

Tony

Yep, just like I said!! lololol ...

PissantPatrol
18th December 2010, 08:36 PM
Auto electrics always makes me feel a bit dim (pun intended) but I couldn't figure out how this one would work. I'll try and chase it from headlight to fuse as you suggest, thanks.

PissantPatrol
18th December 2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks Tony, I'll have a look at the loom. Interesting point about the switching. I would say there are relays in the system but I'd have to look to be certain.

Anyway, your procedure for finding the fault is most welcome, ta. I'll give it a whirl.

And Bigrig, that's exactly what I took your potted version to be saying. ;-)

Cheers,
Rick

YNOT
18th December 2010, 10:04 PM
Another 13 posts and you have access to the manuals. Page 961 has the wiring diagram for headlights (GQ Patrol service manual)

Tony

Bigrig
18th December 2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks Tony, I'll have a look at the loom. Interesting point about the switching. I would say there are relays in the system but I'd have to look to be certain.

Anyway, your procedure for finding the fault is most welcome, ta. I'll give it a whirl.

And Bigrig, that's exactly what I took your potted version to be saying. ;-)

Cheers,
Rick

Good to see someone understands me!! lol

Woof
18th December 2010, 10:12 PM
Hey Rick, with all of Scotty's posts you have to be able to read between the lines mate.................the answer is always there.
Tony is different, he just puts it up there nice and simple like.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

NissanGQ4.2
18th December 2010, 10:19 PM
:beer::beer::beer: In other words, if you are drunk while reading Scotty's post it will all make perfect sense :beer::beer::beer:

Finly Owner
18th December 2010, 10:52 PM
:beer::beer::beer: In other words, if you are drunk while reading Scotty's post it will all make perfect sense :beer::beer::beer:

Nice so very nicely said..

Bigrig
18th December 2010, 11:49 PM
Hey Rick, with all of Scotty's posts you have to be able to read between the lines mate.................the answer is always there.
Tony is different, he just puts it up there nice and simple like.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Thanks Doggy - could of said it better ...

Bigrig
18th December 2010, 11:50 PM

But Todd could!!!! *lmfao* ...

Bigrig
18th December 2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks Doggy - could of said it better ...

Meant "couldn't have said it better" ... oopsey!!!

Bigrig
18th December 2010, 11:52 PM
Nice so very nicely said..

Not drunk tonight, so nah nah na na nah (picture my hands like antlers beside my head and my tongue hanging out whilst saying that!) ... lol ...

PissantPatrol
19th December 2010, 12:18 AM
Not drunk tonight, so nah nah na na nah (picture my hands like antlers beside my head and my tongue hanging out whilst saying that!) ... lol ...

I can sort of picture that - very Xmassy; like a thirsty Rudolph (oh, sorry ... but without the red nose).

So I should have a carton handy while reading forum posts. Ah well I spose I can make such a sacrifice.

madmacca
21st February 2011, 10:43 PM
Hi mate
was wondering if you had sorted your headlight problem
a mate has found his new to him gq has the lh light staying on unless he goes to high beam

cheers Macca

big_fletch
22nd February 2011, 12:18 AM
Hey ya guys, would I be right in going to say that you own a gq mate??? I had one with same problem just other day, infact its still in our yard ( have done a few now).. was doing exact same as what you described as well, gq's have problems with the combination switch, if you put car somewhere dark where you can see the lights against a wall, put the switch in normal position (indicators and headlights off) and just slightly move the switch forwards and backwards I could almost garantee that the Highbeam on the passenger side will come on, and therefore the switch is faulty.. try that and let us know how you go mate??

Fletcha