PDA

View Full Version : Whining noise Nissan Patrol 1990 GQ 4.2L Petrol Manual.

spydabate
18th December 2010, 06:11 PM
Need help guys. I have a whining noise seems to be coming from rear engine area. Only just bought it. Also seems to be running hot.

Engine runs really well, gears change without a problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

YNOT
18th December 2010, 07:42 PM
Does the whining noise go away when you push the clutch in? If it does you have either worn bearings or gears in the gearbox.

The engine running hot could be any number of things, radiator, thermostat, fan hub etc.

Tony

Bigrig
18th December 2010, 07:49 PM
Hey mate - lknow very little about mechanics as it were, but had what sounds very similar to your problem this week. Literally picked mine up from the mechanics this morning for two reasons - whining noise (which ended up being the alternator - died about a week or so after the noise started) and engine running hot after I had the cooling system flushed etc - would sit just over half on the gauge whilst driving and under load would be right up near the line under H. Replaced the radiator will an all alloy number (tanks and everything) and a colder thermostat and now it is sitting just on a third on the gauge, and couldn't get it to rise (on gas which runs hotter) whilst giving it a flogging after I picked it up - if I did that previously, it would have definitely risen. Got a new 110amp alternator also and the whine is gone. Not saying yours is the same, but items to have checked. Have you had the radiator/cooling system flushed?? Is the whine on idle only, just after idle, or right through the rev range?? Mine was barely noticable on idle, fairly noticable just above idle, and non-existant through the rev range, but none the less only lasted about a week before giving up the ghost ..

Over to you Tony, do your thing mate!!!

PissantPatrol
19th December 2010, 01:37 AM
Or do you get the noise with the clutch pedal depressed? And a sort of rattly whine? If so, might be a thrust bearing without lubricant.

spydabate
19th December 2010, 12:50 PM
Hi Guys

Advice please. 90 Patrol GQ Petrol. Seems to be running hot although gauge reads ok. I have a whining noise when running on petrol but not on gas, could it be the fuel pump?

Dont know much about cars so any advice would be appreciated.

spydabate
19th December 2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks for replying guys. Noise is their on idle cant really notice it during revs. It only happens on petrol but not when running on Gas.

YNOT
19th December 2010, 01:45 PM
A previous owner may have fitted an electric fuel pump, follow the fuel line starting at the back and see if you can find an external pump.
What makes you think it's getting hot when the gauge says it's OK? I'm not doubting you, the factory gauges are not known for their accuracy, I'm just curious what symptoms your seeing.

Tony

spydabate
19th December 2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Tony

Yeah I thought maybe it has a electric fuel pump I guess it would have to running on gas as well. When running on gas you need the fuel to stop pumping yeah? so I guess it must be electric.

No real reason for thinking its running to hot. Ive only had the car two days maybe im just not use to it and worried ive bought a dud lol

Rod

spydabate
19th December 2010, 02:18 PM
noise doesnt go away when i push the clutch. However I just started it this morning noise still there but not as bad.

spydabate
19th December 2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Tony

Theres also an extra fan installed on the front of the radiator with a separate switch on the dash to operate it. Should I turn that on for normal every day driving or just towing.

spydabate
19th December 2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks mate. Will have the alternator checked out. thanks for taking the time to reply.

YNOT
19th December 2010, 03:20 PM
Hi Tony

Theres also an extra fan installed on the front of the radiator with a separate switch on the dash to operate it. Should I turn that on for normal every day driving or just towing.

I would be switching the extra fan on for low speed work mainly, eg, stuck in traffic or low range off road. Would also help when towing as you mentioned. Over about 70km/h it would have only limited if any benefit.

Tony

spydabate
19th December 2010, 04:23 PM
ok Tony thanks heaps I really appreciate your advice and the other guys too.

alex
19th December 2010, 05:16 PM
It could also be the fuse for the gas to petrol switch, i had a loose wire and it will make a noise and a wire with to much current goong through will get hot!!

MQ MAD
22nd December 2010, 01:53 PM
Additional fans are usually fitted to help cooling while towing,especially up hills

mackayboi
19th January 2011, 10:10 PM
Hi Guys,
Today I done an oil change, and after I did it, my car makes a whining noise, predominantly at gears 1,2,3 and 5. On Gear 4 the whining noise is non existent.

I have taken note from previous posting, thinking that it maybe the alternator, as I do have a dead battery being charged by the alternator a bit too much lately... (time for a new battery)

But I can't help thinking that it could be either one of my own thoughts about the problem...

1: too much engine oil?
2: Is the gearbox low on oil and if so how can i find out?
3: Could I have done something wrong during the oil change.

Please help!

YNOT
19th January 2011, 10:45 PM
I take it from point 1 that you changed the engine oil?

The noise you describe is coming from the gearbox. The reason you can't hear the noise in 4th is because that is the only gear that does not actually use the gears in the gearbox, it's direct drive-input and output shafts locked together. It is most likely caused by either worn gears or bearings (or both). I can only guess that you are hearing the noise now because the engine is running a bit quieter after the oil change.
Check the gearbox oil by removing the fill plug in the side of the gearbox. It's about half way up one side (I can't remember which side) of the gearbox casing. The oil should be level with the bottom of the fill plug hole. Check the transfer case oil level the same way while you are under there.

Replace your battery ASAP. It won't do the alternator any good constantly trying to charge a dead battery. An alternator that is working hard will make a whining sound that can be heard easily in the engine bay with the engine at idle or just above. Will be a bit harder to hear with diesels.

Tony

mackayboi
20th January 2011, 10:19 AM
Yep I changed the engine oil
Hi,
yep I just done a simple oil change and now I have really stuffed things up.
I was reading online that over filling the oil actually damages the engine.

As I don't have a GQ Patrol manual readily available, could someone please tell me how much engine oil is needed? (6 cylinder, 4.2 Litre Diesel) from a GQ 1990 Patrol.

I really cant believe how a simple oil change, after all the other things I modified on my vehicle, is the one to get it undone.

I put in 9 litres of oil yesterday. and today I went to drain the engine oil, and nothing comes out! I mean it was not leaking oil from the 20km I driven. and it wasn't burning it up because there was no black smoke from exhaust.

MQ MAD
20th January 2011, 10:53 AM
Oil amount is best checked with the dipstick
With the workshop manuals here i only use fluid levels as a guide

9L of oil gone from a 20Kl trip ???
If its not on the road,or excess black smoke (ya dont want this either)
Check under the car on the floor,if its wet , theres your oil

The only way to over fill oil is using oil amount as gospel

YNOT
20th January 2011, 12:06 PM
Yep I changed the engine oil
Hi,
yep I just done a simple oil change and now I have really stuffed things up.
I was reading online that over filling the oil actually damages the engine.

As I don't have a GQ Patrol manual readily available, could someone please tell me how much engine oil is needed? (6 cylinder, 4.2 Litre Diesel) from a GQ 1990 Patrol.

I really cant believe how a simple oil change, after all the other things I modified on my vehicle, is the one to get it undone.

I put in 9 litres of oil yesterday. and today I went to drain the engine oil, and nothing comes out! I mean it was not leaking oil from the 20km I driven. and it wasn't burning it up because there was no black smoke from exhaust.

4.2 Diesel takes "about" 11 litres to fill if you replace both oil filters, but as MQ MAD said, fill by the dip stick.

If you pulled the sump plug out and no oil came out, you have a problem. Stupid question but you did put oil in the top of the engine right? Or is it just that when you checked the oil level on the dip stick it was dry? 9 litres of oil is a LOT to loose in 20km, there would be oil every where. Oil smoke is blue.

Tony

mackayboi
20th January 2011, 02:47 PM
Yep, I would like to admit a stupid mistake.

I actually emptied the gearbox oil... then I filled the engine with about 18L of oil (Due to the fact that 9 litres were in there already and the new 9 litres put in)... and worst of all, I only found out I done the wrong thing after I heard the whining noise in the gearbox and the engine a bit upset after driving about 20Kilometres...

The good ending to this nasty story? Well Nothing has ceased up (good ol' Nissan Quality I guess)
And I don't have a repair bill on my oily hands...
I am getting new oil for engine and gearbox.

I post this to all as kind of something to laugh at, but also as a lesson to know which plug to pull BEFORE you start the job :)
(If only I had the service manual handy.......)

Bob
20th January 2011, 03:35 PM
Yep, I would like to admit a stupid mistake.

I actually emptied the gearbox oil... then I filled the engine with about 18L of oil (Due to the fact that 9 litres were in there already and the new 9 litres put in)... and worst of all, I only found out I done the wrong thing after I heard the whining noise in the gearbox and the engine a bit upset after driving about 20Kilometres...

The good ending to this nasty story? Well Nothing has ceased up (good ol' Nissan Quality I guess)
And I don't have a repair bill on my oily hands...
I am getting new oil for engine and gearbox.

I post this to all as kind of something to laugh at, but also as a lesson to know which plug to pull BEFORE you start the job :)
(If only I had the service manual handy.......)

You now have 25 Posts so you can download Service Manual

MQ MAD
20th January 2011, 08:18 PM
So its called a "Dipstick"for a reason ???

Well i cant larf (I should tho)
But we all make mistakes somewhere along the way

Did i mention i bought a RD28 GU once ???
(Oops the cats outta the bag)

Download the manual mackayboi,or buy a workshop manual

mackayboi
21st January 2011, 12:59 PM
My Car is running as smooth as ever Now.
After new gearbox oil, and New High grade engine oil (dad always done my oil change with the cheapest oil) The car rides beautifully.

I did get the service manual download, that is a great resource to have... I sure have learnt to spend a few minutes looking at a guide before taking my initial instincts to do a job that potentially could land a huge repair bill.

Fortunately for me, The car was not damaged, and I am a happy Patroller again.