PDA

View Full Version : VIC - Campground vandalism causes closure

NissanGQ4.2
23rd April 2013, 07:47 PM
Came across this on FB which was linked the DSE website: http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/about-dse/media-releases/campground-vandalism-causes-closure

Thought I would post it up for you VIC members :(

Cheers

Toddie

Campground vandalism causes closure

22 April, 2013
The Hawthorn Bridge Campground on Latrobe River Road in the Neerim State forest is facing permanent closure after constant vandalism, the most recent incident being the destruction of the toilet block, again.

Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) District Manager, Peter McEwan said staff have been frustrated for many years by continual damage to the site.

“We are at a loss to explain it, but this campground seems to be a target for mindless vandalism over and over again and we can no longer continue to maintain the site,” Mr McEwan said.

“In 2003 the toilets were rebuilt after being deliberately burned down and have since been exposed to varying levels of vandalism constantly over the past 10 years, leading up to this latest incident.”

“The toilet block was destroyed in mid-February - the walls were torn off, possibly using a winch on a four wheel drive vehicle, causing the structure to collapse.”

“The toilets have since been removed for public safety reasons and will not be rebuilt.”

“The site will be closed indefinitely until further notice.”

Camping is not permitted at the nearby day visitor area (Latrobe Trail Bike Visitor Area) located along the same road.

The closest formal campsites are located at Toorongo Falls and Poplars, north and east of Noojee.

Members of the public are strongly urged to report any suspicious behaviour or acts of vandalism on public land areas to the nearest DEPI office or to Victoria Police, with registration numbers if possible.

macca
23rd April 2013, 08:08 PM
Just want to tap them on the head with a house brick

MEGOMONSTER
23rd April 2013, 08:16 PM
F.......g pricks, that's all I can say.
I want to be part of a lynch mob and string him up by his own winch.

Cuppa
23rd April 2013, 08:26 PM
Geez there some real wankers out there!

Cuppa

Bloodyaussie
23rd April 2013, 08:34 PM
Just want to tap them on the head with a house brick

More like a 12g in the knees!!!

Faarrk it pisses me off!!!

BigRAWesty
23rd April 2013, 08:51 PM
Not cool. Some people have no respect..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

TPC
23rd April 2013, 08:54 PM
I can never understand people doing this sort of thing, what possible pleasure could you derive from senseless vandalism like this.
I have seen vandalized toilets in several places, would love to catch the bastards doing it.

MEGOMONSTER
23rd April 2013, 08:59 PM
Unfortunately it people Winnies age doing shit like this.

Sir Roofy
23rd April 2013, 09:41 PM
Another day closer to having more tracks closed along with amenities
when will they realize what they have done
when the gates are locked they,ll be the first to complain
the poplars and torongo parks arnt that flash

Jaycee
23rd April 2013, 09:41 PM
The behaviour of these vandals is absolutely disgusting. The offenders should be found and prosecuted to the full extent of the law...

BUT, I object to the all-to-common simple minded reaction of the rangers in closing the campground down. Why exactly are we punishing all decent law abiding citizens for the actions of a few degenerates?

If we used the same policy in other areas of life, then all bus stops would be closed down following any graffiti or smashed glass. All train stations would be permanently closed for the same reasons. We wouldn't stand for these draconian policies by other public agencies working on our behalf, why do we put up with it time and again from the people who we employ to manage our forests and parks for us? We should be insisting they do more to enforce existing laws and catch the perpetrators instead of taking the easy option every time.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd April 2013, 09:55 PM
BUT, I object to the all-to-common simple minded reaction of the rangers in closing the campground down. Why exactly are we punishing all decent law abiding citizens for the actions of a few degenerates?

This is the reason for it “We are at a loss to explain it, but this campground seems to be a target for mindless vandalism over and over again and we can no longer continue to maintain the site,” Mr McEwan said."

Well its not that they cannot continue to maintain the sites is because the governing bodies do not want to spend our money maintaining it. Its easier for them to gate everything up rather than spend our money looking after it, Vandalism is just there excuse, even if there was none you would find it would soon be closed down. More of our money in there back pockets

Dales300exc
23rd April 2013, 09:58 PM
I still can't understand why people do this. Destroy high country huts, toilets, anything and everything.

Theres no need for it. Just ruining it for everyone.

That camp site was far less used before the bridge went. Now its like a highway.

happygu
23rd April 2013, 10:33 PM

You would think so, but I've seen deadbeats of all ages out camping.......and although I don't like saying it, but it seems to always be the ones with a small group of guys, and two car loads full of alcohol....it must be a bravado thing.

Mic

MEGOMONSTER
23rd April 2013, 10:37 PM

Just so you all know I'm just shittin Winnie, no offence to you.

happygu
23rd April 2013, 10:42 PM
I did figure that out, but I am standing up for him (and his kind).... fine outstanding fellow He is.....

NissanGQ4.2
23rd April 2013, 10:50 PM
fine outstanding fellow He is.....

bahahahahahhhahahhahahahahaha

trekster
24th April 2013, 06:48 AM
Disappointing and disgusting, I feel for you guys down there I really do, It will always be the minority of idiots that ruin it for the rest of us, Very sad especially with parks etc being closed to us......

Bob
24th April 2013, 07:51 AM
Another day closer to having more tracks closed along with amenities
when will they realize what they have done
when the gates are locked they,ll be the first to complain
the poplars and torongo parks arnt that flash

I am afraid that the Day is getting closer to the Vic High Country being closed forever due to vandalism and bad behaviour.
Also People leaving Campsites full of Rubbish.
It will be a Sad Day when this happens

“After one look at this planet
any visitor from outer space would say
‘I want to see the manager.’”

~ William S. Burroughs

MC97GQ
24th April 2013, 08:04 AM
This is the reason for it “We are at a loss to explain it, but this campground seems to be a target for mindless vandalism over and over again and we can no longer continue to maintain the site,” Mr McEwan said."

Well its not that they cannot continue to maintain the sites is because the governing bodies do not want to spend our money maintaining it. Its easier for them to gate everything up rather than spend our money looking after it, Vandalism is just there excuse, even if there was none you would find it would soon be closed down. More of our money in there back pockets

Todd,

Whilst I agree with you to a degree, also look at it from the point of view of the Parkies. Every monday morning you go out to a location and find it trashed(either rubbish left behind or vandalism), it would get pretty disheartening. Then you have budget restraints, you have to spend money that could upgrade other amenities continually repairing one place.

I know this will ruffle feathers, but we all need to take responsibility and ownership for these places, I am not a fan of dobbers, but if we see people doing the wrong thing we need to get license plate numbers and report them. I don't advocate approaching people that do this sort of stuff, as it might get you into more trouble than you need. But a quick call to Crimestoppers or something similar might see idiots like these finally get their wings clipped.

My thoughts

Mark

macca
24th April 2013, 08:05 AM
We went back to Canarvon Gorge a couple of years back after visiting them 27 years before. Its a bit of a walk to get into the areas of significant Aborigonal art so you need to be interested to bother having a look.
There is a rock wall covered in art, sprayed hand silouettes, drawings and carvings in the rock....and F-WITTS have scratched their names over it all!!! The Rangers said it wasnt like that when we 1st visited. We were shocked at the damage and he confirmed it is recent damage. Just devastating to see what some people do.

Bob
24th April 2013, 08:08 AM
Todd,

Whilst I agree with you to a degree, also look at it from the point of view of the Parkies. Every monday morning you go out to a location and find it trashed(either rubbish left behind or vandalism), it would get pretty disheartening. Then you have budget restraints, you have to spend money that could upgrade other amenities continually repairing one place.

I know this will ruffle feathers, but we all need to take responsibility and ownership for these places, I am not a fan of dobbers, but if we see people doing the wrong thing we need to get license plate numbers and report them. I don't advocate approaching people that do this sort of stuff, as it might get you into more trouble than you need. But a quick call to Crimestoppers or something similar might see idiots like these finally get their wings clipped.

My thoughts

Mark

I agree...............

NP99
24th April 2013, 08:20 AM
Camera's in place........arrests made.......before the judge........just promise not to be a f'wit anymore........on ya way.......cycle starts again :(

MC97GQ
24th April 2013, 08:23 AM
Camera's in place........arrests made.......before the judge........just promise not to be a f'wit anymore........on ya way.......cycle starts again :(

NP99,

We could start a whole new thread on truth in sentencing in our courts, but that's probably best left elsewhere.

But you are right.

Mark

Jaycee
24th April 2013, 09:02 AM
Todd,

My thoughts

Mark

I too understand how frustrating and disheartening it must be for the parks staff, but by closing these areas down all they are doing is giving up vast areas of our country to these degenerate criminals to do with as they please. If the vandals are willing to destruct public property like the original post indicated, a locked gate and a "closed sign" is not going to keep them out - quite the contrary... Now they have free reign to do as they please because they have very little chance of being seen by anyone.

The best thing we can do with these areas is actually use them, patrol them, make it known that these sorts of actions are not and will not be tolerated. These sorts of cowards won't do anything wrong if there are honest people around to see them.

If we see a friend or acquaintance do something stupid tell them to pull their head in (many groups of vandals has one or more people in the group who don't agree with the actions of the group, but who don't say anything for fear of being ridiculed).

Insist that our authorities follow through on trying to catch them and prosecute them rather than surrender and spend all our resources on harassing and trying to exclude the honest law abiding citizens they are employed by (us!).

threedogs
24th April 2013, 09:08 AM
@ Jaycee they are closing these places down at any opportunity they can get and for any reason.
We as in Victorians need to fight to keep what tracks we have ,left open and not give the powers that be
any excuse to close them. If that includes me dobbing in a young / old buck doing donuts in wet grass or
other mindless stuff like leaving crap everywhere I will take regos ,times etc and pass it on. WTF should I/we be punished because
of some mindless idiots. Rule one dont give the powers that be any fodder whats so ever to close tracks.
We have the best 4WD destinations in Australia being the High country, Even our camp up the Murray is littered with Shite everytime
we roll up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Take your Shite home and dump it in a roadside bin, plenty on the side of hwys.
Cost nothing to keep a site clean, and ppl will thankyou for it behind your back,,,,,,,,,,,Pay it forward

Jaycee
24th April 2013, 09:33 AM
@ Jaycee they are closing these places down at any opportunity they can get and for any reason.
We as in Victorians need to fight to keep what tracks we have ,left open and not give the powers that be
any excuse to close them. If that includes me dobbing in a young / old buck doing donuts in wet grass or
other mindless stuff like leaving crap everywhere I will take regos ,times etc and pass it on. WTF should I/we be punished because
of some mindless idiots. Rule one dont give the powers that be any fodder whats so ever to close tracks.
We have the best 4WD destinations in Australia being the High country, Even our camp up the Murray is littered with Shite everytime
we roll up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Take your Shite home and dump it in a roadside bin, plenty on the side of hwys.
Cost nothing to keep a site clean, and ppl will thankyou for it behind your back,,,,,,,,,,,Pay it forward

I couldn't agree more threedogs.

Although the vandals and criminals are the catalyst for a lot of these closures, and we should do everything in our power to stop them, as you suggest, the more important issue in my mind is that the public servants we employ to manage our parks and forests have been allowed to think that these parks and forests belong to them and they are doing us a favour by allowing us to use them. It really annoys me that as a community we accept the fact that these bureaucrats and politicians can lock us out of vast areas of public land because they are too lazy and or incompetent to enforce existing laws against a small percentage of visitors to these areas who do the wrong thing.

As a society we are giving up far too many rights based on fear mongering and lazy reporting by sensational media and power hungry politicians. As the honest law abiding majority, we need to make a stand and tell them that we expect these public servants to fix the problem without taking away our civil liberties in the process or we will find new public servants who can!

NissanGQ4.2
24th April 2013, 11:58 AM
Todd,

My thoughts

Mark

Agree with you Mark, I would hate to be a ranger going out each day and finding amenities destroyed and rubbish left around the place, but also believe ( this is just my view ) that places will still slowly get closed down regardless of vandalism or budget restraints. Can you imagine the amount of money the government would save having these places closed........ no need for road grading, no need to have a ranger remove rubbish etc. Most NP, State Parks are free or cost little to enter so realistically its not making them money.

I really don't understand the mentality of those that find that it would be fun to destroy amenities put there to give them some luxury while out camping and really don't understand why someone could be so lazy not to take there rubbish with them and dispose of it properly.

When I went to the Tuff Truck Challenge the other week to camp for a few days and watch the 4b's compete I took my own rubbish bags with me, every car going in was given a big black plastic bag 2 put there rubbish in and there was plenty of bins around the place. The amount of cans and rubbish left on the ground during the event was disgusting. Even driving out on the last day the amount of rubbish bags left by the side of the bin was a sad sight, I would hate to be the one cleaning up the place after the event. All my rubbish went in the bag supplied and came home with me........... was not hard 2 do at all :)

macca
24th April 2013, 07:27 PM
Going back a few years we were camping at Swans Crossing a little north of here. A great spot with room for heaps of camps and some great 4WDing nearby.
On Sunday morning the Forest NSW truck turned up to check the place and put bog roll in the dunny, empty the bins etc.
The blokes name was Col and he actually built this camp many years ago and loves to see people use it.
He also told us of a place called Cobrabald which is an absolute gem of a spot which we have visited every year since, again he built the camp and its facilities there as well.
But he was sad to inform us of a third little gem he built has been closed as it was close enough to Port MacQuarie for the Drop kicks & Dickheads with their Doof Doof cars to get there and destroyed the place.
We have seen the access road to it and has been torn up pretty bad by a Forests dozer so will never be opened or accesible again.

National Parks up our way have closed heaps too, but its financial which truly sucks. They dont have funds to keep access for all so we with capable vehicles are locked out too.
The biggest issue is for them to call it a Wilderness Area, that's it you can only walk in there. Mostly it started happening in the time of Bob Carr, our run and hide Premier that has floated to the surface as Gillards forign minister, he is supposed to be a greenie bushwalker that hated tyre tracks left in his patch so we were simply excluded.

I hear what you say TD but lose the "my State" bit, this is a national issue, we have to start somewhere but as usual no one in authority is listening.
There is an election coming up that you could use your vote as an encouragemnt to a party that has your recreation in mind.

paulyg
26th April 2013, 01:22 PM
Maybe there could be an ad campaign, similar to the drink and drive, your a bloody idiot, trash a campsite your a f...wit.

89gqpatrol4x4
26th April 2013, 04:49 PM
Agree with you Mark, I would hate to be a ranger going out each day and finding amenities destroyed and rubbish left around the place, but also believe ( this is just my view ) that places will still slowly get closed down regardless of vandalism or budget restraints. Can you imagine the amount of money the government would save having these places closed........ no need for road grading, no need to have a ranger remove rubbish etc. Most NP, State Parks are free or cost little to enter so realistically its not making them money.

I really don't understand the mentality of those that find that it would be fun to destroy amenities put there to give them some luxury while out camping and really don't understand why someone could be so lazy not to take there rubbish with them and dispose of it properly.

When I went to the Tuff Truck Challenge the other week to camp for a few days and watch the 4b's compete I took my own rubbish bags with me, every car going in was given a big black plastic bag 2 put there rubbish in and there was plenty of bins around the place. The amount of cans and rubbish left on the ground during the event was disgusting. Even driving out on the last day the amount of rubbish bags left by the side of the bin was a sad sight, I would hate to be the one cleaning up the place after the event. All my rubbish went in the bag supplied and came home with me........... was not hard 2 do at all :)

Not hard is it! The thing I don't understand is that 99.9% of people who do this wouldn't just sit a home watching the tv and throw there empty cans and chip packets on the floor, so why do they do it when their out. How lazy and selfish are people getting!