PDA

View Full Version : sealant for a snorkel

jgoose
20th April 2013, 09:14 PM
Hi all whats the best sealant /silicone to use when installing a snorkel as the standard silicone stuffs up the MAF sensor ive only ever made mine out of stainless in the past & havnt had to use it

threedogs
20th April 2013, 09:15 PM
Not sure if RTV is odourless,

jgoose
20th April 2013, 09:23 PM
Im not sure either im going to try n find some tomorrow but ive lost my sense of smell in a work acco so i need to rely on the pimply faced kids that half the stores emply now days i just thought id ask & hopefully save the pain

threedogs
20th April 2013, 09:31 PM
It may say odourless in the directions. Who knows

BundyDave
21st April 2013, 09:15 AM
Hi there

I used automotive sikaflex, you can get it from bunnings it is safe for sensors, from memory it is black "tube" has a pic or a red car on it. Not cheap but good stuff.

Cheers :D

TapTap Makatini

taslucas
21st April 2013, 10:14 AM
A lot of them will say if they are sensor safe.

jgoose
21st April 2013, 08:09 PM
Hi. I use to use sikaflex years ago to reattach the lower sill trims to my vnss i forgot all about that stuff. Yep its costly but it works gr8
Thanks for the memory recall

04OFF
21st April 2013, 09:55 PM
Yes Sikaflex is the go , or soudal T-rex is what i just used for my snorkel :smile:

megatexture
22nd April 2013, 12:18 AM
Just read the label it will clearly state if its sensor safe and will be reflected in the price tag

If this is the stuff your referring to it hasn’t got it written on it that its sensor safe from memory so its up to you.. http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Sikaflex-227-Adhesive-310ml-Black.aspx?pid=11079#Cross

When I refit mine as I didn’t trust Nissan to seal it up correctly i used this stuff http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Permatex-Ultra-Blue-RTV-Silicone-Gasket-Maker-Multipurpose-300mL.aspx?pid=114970&menuFrom=51001#Cross

04OFF
22nd April 2013, 09:43 AM
The Sikaflex 227 is Sensor safe, just to confirm, i had it sealing my Snorkel for over 12 months it works well.

The Sikaflex creates a stronger joint/bond than the ultra blue, i prefer a strong glue for sealing a snorkel, the ultra blue is good for gaskets etc, but sika is good for sticking stuff together you dont want to come apart !

jgoose
23rd April 2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Ive just picked up the sika 227 iwas just gunna make a s/steel snorkel but scored a safari for nix. So ill probly spend the time on a s/steel one for the nav instead. Thanks again for all the help

aceblueheeler1992
16th July 2013, 04:23 PM
sikiaflex..........

threedogs
16th July 2013, 04:39 PM
So having just had snorkel fitted yesterday I should seal with sikaflex, I was hoping it was sealed
when fitted.

TheLocksmith
16th July 2013, 06:56 PM
So having just had snorkel fitted yesterday I should seal with sikaflex, I was hoping it was sealed
when fitted.

No, I have heard a lot are not water tight. It has been said if its not in the instructions, fitters don't have to do it? Not saying this is the rule, just what I have heard.

When I got my snorkel fitted, he did a great job! After cutting and drilling he filed everything then painted everything.

As he fitted the snorkel he gasket everything. Afterwards he went around and checked all the seals. Used locite on everything and was very neat and tidy.

He spent 3 hours fitting and going over the rig explaining everything. He said he can do whatever I wanted or he can do what is really needed. He set me straight on lots of things and we agreed the work to be done is what he would do if it was his.

Got no worries! My snorkel is air/water tight!

kouks92
30th September 2013, 09:53 PM
is there anywhere were you can buy safari snorkel templates from

NP99
30th September 2013, 10:54 PM
is there anywhere were you can buy safari snorkel templates from

Yes.......me!

Lionel84
30th September 2013, 11:32 PM
Sikaflex. I just installed a snorkel today on my Y61 with a ZD30. Pain in the ass to work on but I got it done in the end :)

It says use Sikaflex or any polyurethane sealer. I checked the seal between the snorkel duct and the filter box. It looks good, I just hope the one further up the bend is good too :S

NP99
30th September 2013, 11:45 PM
Sikaflex. I just installed a snorkel today on my Y61 with a ZD30. Pain in the ass to work on but I got it done in the end :)

It says use Sikaflex or any polyurethane sealer. I checked the seal between the snorkel duct and the filter box. It looks good, I just hope the one further up the bend is good too :S

You'll soon know mate.........