PDA

View Full Version : GU Patrol towing a monster 6 tonne load

Mark
19th May 2010, 06:19 PM
Hi all, just thought i would show you my work horse.

Its a 2000 model GU 4.2 litre turbo diesel Patrol we use for my playground business called Imaginationplay.

At the start of our business without my Nissan Patrol we would not be where we are today.

I ended up running a 3 inch exhaust through which increased the torque and KW.

I'll have to hunt around and find the dyno results as running a 3 inch exhaust and tweaking the turbo a bit was a massive difference.

With a full load i can even hit 5th gear going up hills such as the Eltham-Yarra Glen Road heading up from Yarra Glen to Christmas Hills if anyone knows that area you will know its a big hill.

The trailer is 2 tonne and ive had maximum 4 tonne (scary stuff) on the back which means it was towing a total of 6 tonne...

Heres a pic of the rig towing a smaller load but you get the idea!

Cheers!

AB
20th May 2010, 02:24 PM
Wow! That's one monster trailer you got there Mark.

That's some serious weight your pulling "6 tonne", any issues with over heating coming up hills, etc?

What about pulling up going down hills?

Mark
20th May 2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, going up hills can overheat her sometimes if carrying a big load.

I think a lot of that has to do with the radiator blocking up with dust, common problem with the Patrol I heard?

After a good clean out though it should help a bit.

Pulling up down hills...haha...Yep, you need to choose your gears wisely and slow up way before the T intersection thats for sure!

Timbo
21st May 2010, 09:23 AM
If that's a DX ute I don't think they came out standard with intercoolers.. If you chucked an ST bonnet with scoop on it, and the top mount intercooler from a 2.8td, your EGT's (exhaust gas temperatures) would come down a lot more I reckon. If you're pulling 6 tonne up hills then I guess nothing is really going to help much, but in general, an intercooler would help your heat issues if she's overheating up hills.

Mark
21st May 2010, 09:44 AM
Yes, It's the DX G-Unit and the Intercoolers are not standard on that series. That has crossed my mind a bit for the ST bonnet, scoop, etc but like you mentioned pulling that kinda weight may not help it cool down that much. It seems to be doing the job ok but I'm worried that she'll boil one day.

Mark
21st May 2010, 04:44 PM
Here's another pic close up with it full loaded up with steel and playground equipment.

This was taken a while back as my Patrol looks new and clean..haha...Actually i can tell its old because a while back i left the undercarrage compartment door open it was dragging along the ground for a few kilometres and bent the door up. I remember driving along thinking "whats that sound", pulled over and realised what happened.

Those were the days!

The photo doesn't really give it much justice by how big this trailer is.

DX grunt
3rd June 2010, 10:16 PM
G'day Mark.

Boy are U my friend ! LOL. I've got a 2005, 4.2 TDi Ute - ex Telstra job. Being ex guvvie, it's got all the fruit including snorkle and 'hole in the bonnet'. I checked my radiator out today and found about half an inch of 'sludge' at the bottom of the overflow tank. I guess it hasn't been flushed out for a while. It used to be up around Broome & Kununurra, which is full of red dust.

Love your ute.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Mark
4th June 2010, 08:51 AM
Cheers DX Grunt, yep thats the only issue with Patrols that i can see.

I spoke to another mate the other day and he had the same issue.

Red dust especially getting stuck in the radiator and causing overheating.

Apparently you need to flush them out, Gerny the hell out of them and keep on top of it every 6 months or so.

GU89
23rd June 2010, 08:06 PM
Just on the low down, but wouldnt 6 tonne be illegal lol

Mark
23rd June 2010, 08:49 PM
on the low down....Not on private property for testing....It's all good!;)

patch697
29th June 2010, 03:06 PM
G'day Mark. What braking system do you run on that trailer? I've got a boat just under 3t and am about to put Carlisle Hydrastar brakes on the trailer. It's an electric over hydraulic system with in-cab control and breakaway function. This will be replacing an old vacuum-actuated brake system which didn't have breakaway function. Trailers exceeding 2t require breakaway function to be legal (in Vic anyway).

Cheers mate.

We run a similar system to the one your fitting to a 4ton lead rated tri axle trailer with disc brakes setup on 4 out of the 6 wheels & it works bloody brilliantly & would highly recommend it although the price will put most ppl off.

Cheers
Paul

Mark
29th June 2010, 03:33 PM
G'day Mark. What braking system do you run on that trailer? I've got a boat just under 3t and am about to put Carlisle Hydrastar brakes on the trailer. It's an electric over hydraulic system with in-cab control and breakaway function. This will be replacing an old vacuum-actuated brake system which didn't have breakaway function. Trailers exceeding 2t require breakaway function to be legal (in Vic anyway).

Cheers mate.

Sorry mate, missed this question.

I'll have to double check it. The guys are up north at the moment.

I'm pretty sure its got discs all round with the brekaway...Not sure.

They come back next week so ill check it out then and let you know.

patch697
29th June 2010, 09:49 PM
What brand brake system do you have Paul? Reason I'm going with Carlisle Hydrastar system has glowing reports from just about everyone who's got one. Have a look at the various fishing forums for best info on trailer brake systems.

To tell you the truth I don't remember the brand name but I will check it out for you, im pretty dam sure it had Hydraster on it so I'd say its the Carlisle. The trailer builder fitted them when we told him what we intended to do with the trailer & he said thay were the best thing around so im guessing its them.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
31st July 2010, 06:26 PM
Any update on this Paul?

To tell you the truth I forgot all about it mate.... I will see what I can do about it this week.

paul8693
19th August 2010, 09:30 PM
quality rig the 4.2

tondeshund
25th August 2010, 05:36 AM
nice rig mate i love how it looks

Clunk
19th October 2013, 01:50 PM
Yeah, going up hills can overheat her sometimes if carrying a big load.

I think a lot of that has to do with the radiator blocking up with dust, common problem with the Patrol I heard?

After a good clean out though it should help a bit.

Pulling up down hills...haha...Yep, you need to choose your gears wisely and slow up way before the T intersection thats for sure!

Does windows take ages to boot up too?

coiled
21st October 2013, 08:13 AM
A good example of how tough these things are! I would like to see how well the dual cab utes and Jeep Grand Cherokees etc with their 3.5T last with this sort of treatment.

BigRAWesty
21st October 2013, 08:19 AM
does windows take ages to boot up too?

wtf???? ???

AB
21st October 2013, 08:23 AM
wtf???? ???

x 2....This is a dino thread back when the forum first started.

Clunk
21st October 2013, 10:23 AM
wtf???? ???

x 2....This is a dino thread back when the forum first started.

Classic MC mccraptastic, I was actually quoting Lucas from the other day regarding his lappy woes

rusty_nail
21st October 2013, 10:36 AM
Classic MC mccraptastic, I was actually quoting Lucas from the other day regarding his lappy woes

hahahaa what a doozey!

BigRAWesty
21st October 2013, 12:30 PM
I guessed that. But who would know with you??? Lol

mudski
25th March 2015, 07:55 PM
Hi all, just thought i would show you my work horse.

Its a 2000 model GU 4.2 litre turbo diesel Patrol we use for my playground business called Imaginationplay.

At the start of our business without my Nissan Patrol we would not be where we are today.

I ended up running a 3 inch exhaust through which increased the torque and KW.

I'll have to hunt around and find the dyno results as running a 3 inch exhaust and tweaking the turbo a bit was a massive difference.

With a full load i can even hit 5th gear going up hills such as the Eltham-Yarra Glen Road heading up from Yarra Glen to Christmas Hills if anyone knows that area you will know its a big hill.

The trailer is 2 tonne and ive had maximum 4 tonne (scary stuff) on the back which means it was towing a total of 6 tonne...

Heres a pic of the rig towing a smaller load but you get the idea!

Cheers!

I'll check it out later. I've made an absolute mess of the dash now. I've had to walk away before I set fire to the thing.

the evil twin
25th March 2015, 08:01 PM
I'll check it out later. I've made an absolute mess of the dash now. I've had to walk away before I set fire to the thing.

You know after posting that comment here we are now genuinely concerned for you, mate?

Retrograde spatial displaysia by proxy is not a laughing matter

Internet hug sent your way

mudski
25th March 2015, 08:13 PM
You know after posting that comment here we are now genuinely concerned for you, mate?

Ok! This is weird! My post was in response to your post in my thread about my electrical issues. And it pops up here in this thread I have never read? Using MC so this prolly explains it.

the evil twin
25th March 2015, 08:26 PM
Ok! This is weird! My post was in response to your post in my thread about my electrical issues. And it pops up here in this thread I have never read? Using MC so this prolly explains it.

This thread did the same to Clunky a couple of years ago

BigRAWesty
25th March 2015, 08:40 PM
Good old mc crappa strikes again.
It must be a programming clash with old threads in the archive??
Happens a bit really.

mudski
25th March 2015, 09:15 PM

I just googled that thingo you said as I have NFI on what it is. Knowing you its probably a term for chronic masturbation or something and this thread came up on top of the list. Lol.

Edit : I can only see half of whats in this thread on my tablet....

AB
25th March 2015, 09:49 PM
Wow, thread dig ;)

Winnie
25th March 2015, 10:04 PM
Funny how many of the early early member are from around the Yarra Glen area... Lmao

AB
25th March 2015, 10:14 PM
Funny how many of the early early member are from around the Yarra Glen area... Lmao

It's my brother ;)

Winnie
25th March 2015, 10:19 PM
It's my brother ;)

I worked that one out! Hahaha

mudnut
25th March 2015, 10:28 PM
It's my brother ;) Is this your brother AB?