PDA

View Full Version : Safari Datsun SWG 1980

prophet1
20th April 2013, 01:31 AM
Hi everybody, I am new to Nissan Patrol, so let me intro myself. I am a minister in South Africa, right opposite the Kruger National Park, love fly fishing and outdoor acticities. I own a Datsun Safari 1980 L28 Motor Station Wagon. I am starting to rebuild from the ground up and need lots of Nissan friends and tips, obviously.:jawdrop:
Hopeful and thanks

prophet1
20th April 2013, 01:43 AM
Hello my new friends,
Greetings, I can't wait to enter into coms over my mistress, my Datsun Safari 1980 SWG. So hear I am going to begin, done the intro, etc. so lets chat. Can anyone tell me if the front brake calipers of a Nissan Safari GQ Y60 will fit the front axle of my Datsun Safari MQ 160 1980 L28 engine? These vehicles are extremely rare in SA.
Forgive my directness, but in SA we do not have the clubs and freinds that is found overseas, or the PARTS :mad:
Thank you

prophet1
20th April 2013, 02:01 AM
Here is a rare one for you, that you may never have heard before - my Datsun Safari clocked out at over 485000 klms, with the engine never have being opened, EVER !! When I opened it several of the head bolts had actually fused into the cast iron engine block from never having been removed - AWESOME. Thats my girl for you.
No ridge on the the ports. not even a sign of one,a little tell tale smoke and some compression loss from the tired rings, but that was all.
Eat your heart out Toyota:bananarock:

prophet1
20th April 2013, 02:04 AM
Hi again, forgot - can anyone tell if the front and rear axles of the GQ Y60, in a complete state fit the MQ 160 Datsun Safari chassis without any or very little mods. Thats the coil spring axles. Thanks

MudRunnerTD
20th April 2013, 02:45 AM
Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find all the a seers you need here. Please don't start the same thread in a heap of different sections mate, your thread will be seen tomorrow. It's the middle of the night in Australia now.

You will just flood the "what's new" with 5threads that say the same thing!

Thanks for your cooperation.

Cheers MR

NP99
20th April 2013, 07:14 AM
Quality - what is that :)

prophet1
20th April 2013, 07:40 PM
Hi and thanks, I am new to this and thought that you needed to put them in each specific catagory, for that area of discussion. Thanks for the welcome, I am looking forward to many chats and am hungry, no starving for insider information and experienced brains to pick from. Also to just find someone to chat about our Safari's and their great heritage and abilities. I have owned my Saf for 20years now and she has served me above the call of duty. Now I have stripped her to the bare metal and am planing to methodically and completely restore her to a state of brand newness. Although I am very mechanical and very good with my hands, there is many things that I need help with, for example some great modifications, without loosing too much authenticity and originality on the Saf? I am not an experienced 4x4 fundie, but a keen one, but more kleen or restoring her to a strong 4x4 status and mostly to be able to reach those almost impossible fishing spots.
I am going to ask many, many questions, its what is in my heart and on my mind, thats primarily why I joined, to get that knowledgs out of the 'old boys' out there. I need help with this project and my remote location denies any of the very, very small handful of old clob in SA.
Thank you for listening

prophet1
20th April 2013, 07:44 PM
Hi NP99, greetings from South Africa - for me 'quality' is a state of mind and heart, the balanced state between the two brings excellence in life and all that we put our hand too. have a good one ..

GQ TANK
20th April 2013, 08:49 PM
Have a look at Nerok.info for MQ / MK info.

I belive the front disks athe the same for early GQ & mk / mq's.

I just had a look at Neroks - the front single caliper can be used - but you need to use part of the MQ as well

prophet1
22nd April 2013, 07:08 PM
Thank you, I have looked at the sight and got a lot from there to digest. I really appreciate your time and help. take care rgds

GQ TANK
22nd April 2013, 09:56 PM
I had a mk (later model of the MQ - with a L28 (that was replaced with a RB30 before it was stolen) - have now upgraded to a GQ.