PDA

View Full Version : Using original CD stacker with aftermarket stereo?

Yabb
19th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking at upgrading the stereo unit in my 98 GU Ti and would like to continue to use the original CD stacker.

I haven't purchased a new unit yet or removed the original to have a look at the connections but was wondering if anyone else has been down this road before and whether it's possible.

MC97GQ
19th April 2013, 01:29 PM
I couldn't see why you couldn't do it,

The only thing that I would think of is you might need to find out what brand the original stacker and stereo is ie: Pioneer, Sony etc

As you might need to purchase the same brand of head unit so it controls the stacker.

I am sure someone here should be able to point you in the right direction, good luck with it,

Mark

Yabb
19th April 2013, 08:49 PM
Cheers Mark

my third 256
20th April 2013, 01:05 AM
get a unit with a usb port then put all your tunes onto it in mp3 mode
can put 50 + albums on it or a socket for a mps player
this is what i have
sockets ar on the rh side

Yabb
20th April 2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah, was also thinking about what I could use the space for if I can't use the stacker.
Thanks for the replies guys.

oncedisturbed
21st April 2013, 12:02 AM
you can always fill the void with a pocket or fill auto gauges.

As MC97GQ has mentioned, to use the stacker with an after amrket head unit, you will need to ensure it is compatible. It will be a cheaper option to rip the lot out and go with a unit with a USB input and use a slim USB stick full of songs. I have a USB stick that is about 12mm long and hold 16gb worth of tunes that I picked up from Dick Smith for around $30, best part is that because is it is small, won't get knocked about or damaged by people reaching for the controls or other items nearby

Yabb
21st April 2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks Fellas,
If I go the MP3 option at least I won't have problems with tracks skipping while on rough surfaces.
Problem solved!
Cheers