PDA

View Full Version : ecu in 4.2 GU causing Intermittent sparks

PhilD
17th December 2010, 01:24 PM
hi am new to posting to this forum , though have been reading it for some time. have a GQ 4.2 on straight gas. Have had a failure of engine spark. At first it was just restarting when hot ,once going would run strongly no probs but if stopped wouldn't restart ,wait untill cold then all was happy . But last week it failed whilst driving, tacho goes to zero ,all that was required to make it go was lift the bonnet, hook the trusty multmeter on to the coil infeed and mutter sweet nothings in patrolese and it would go again ( but this isnt fun on a highway). today I stated digging further and found that the ecu has had 5-10 ml of water inside it drained and dried the red light comes back on and the engine dash light is on and it even started and run for its warming up bit (the tacho curiously showed 4000 rpm all the while). my local 4wd supplier/wrecker has few petrol patrols in this part of the world and even less petrol ecu's for me to test to see if this truly is the problem that is stopping the trusty GQ from going. has any one repaired an ecu or has the circuit and logic diagrams for an AH 23710 35J00 MECM-P610 C3 2819 hitachi

YNOT
17th December 2010, 10:13 PM
TB42e has an electronic distributor with timing controlled by the ECU, so water in the ECU could be causing or contributing to the fault. I would definately be getting the ECU inspected and tested before you spend money anywhere else. Being a QLDer I don't know who is in your area that could do that. I don't like your chances of finding circuit or logic diagrams.

Cutting out when hot is a classic symptom of a faulty distributor module, you may have more than one fault.

Tony

PhilD
17th December 2010, 11:50 PM
after posting my woes
took the ecu flushed with contact cleaner, tooth brushed and dried and put it back in and she fired up cleanly .
did some local drives and hasn't missed a beat (yet)
will try further a field tomorrow
i don't need much of the ecu as the fuel injection side has been gutted out
just need the distributor's timing to connect to the power transisitor on the coil
PR is there a conventional dizzy to suit this donk
philD

YNOT
17th December 2010, 11:59 PM
Carby model TB42 Patrols used a conventional points type distributor.

Tony