PDA

View Full Version : MQ vs GQ Wheel Carrier

sweet_gq
17th December 2010, 12:25 PM
Hi All

Considering a project. I want a dual wheel carrier for my GQ. Never see them come up second hand. I see heaps of MQ wheel carriers (mainly single - but a start) come up dirt cheap.

Can I fit an MQ carrier to a GQ. I know the chassy rails are different but how different. Could i put a spacer block in between and use big arse bolts, or would it be a case of rewelding the chassy mounts off the bar?

I do a bit of outback touring so whatever i do must be corrugation proof. I can't justify $2k-$3k for a bar.

Feedback from those wiser than me would be appreciated

B

the ferret
17th December 2010, 05:16 PM
To fit an MQ carrier would be a pita, you would need to drill and bolt through the rear LH pillar, they were not all that strong and prone to rattle, mostly for looks and to hold a jerry can.
It may also interfere with the LH barn door operation. It would also need a new bumper.
If ya gunna go to the trouble of making a new bumper, ya may as well build the whole thing yourself and ya don't need to be a whiz bang welder to do it.
Some steel U beam, Holden stub axle and bearings from a trailer shop, a hub, some 50x50 x3mm sqare tube, a catch and some measuring and a bit of time, good luck.

Bigrig
17th December 2010, 07:39 PM
To fit an MQ carrier would be a pita, you would need to drill and bolt through the rear LH pillar, they were not all that strong and prone to rattle, mostly for looks and to hold a jerry can.
It may also interfere with the LH barn door operation. It would also need a new bumper.
If ya gunna go to the trouble of making a new bumper, ya may as well build the whole thing yourself and ya don't need to be a whiz bang welder to do it.
Some steel U beam, Holden stub axle and bearings from a trailer shop, a hub, some 50x50 x3mm sqare tube, a catch and some measuring and a bit of time, good luck.

Top job Ferret!!! Give the man all the ingredients and then don't tell him how to cook!!! *LMFAO* ... :thumbup:

That's like saying, "here you go Scotty, all you need is the hops, some water, some yeast and a brewing bottle" ... I'd just start crying!!!! :trink13:

the ferret
17th December 2010, 08:17 PM
Ah well, for all we know he may be able to do the job. Nothing like a bit of encouragement eh? I certainly don't mind helping, if he was local I'd be happy ta weld it up for a slab or two!!
He could think of it as a challenge.:eck05:

Avalanche20
12th May 2012, 06:50 PM
Cheers Ferret, I was pondering making my own and never considered a stub axle hinge. Now all I have to do is get a roundtuit. :)