PDA

View Full Version : How to keep a ZD30 Engine quiet

raneydelrey
16th December 2010, 11:53 PM
Hi guys,

I know this sounds crazy and stupid but I know that ZD30 Engines are diesel and such its very noisy (but masculine) now reason why I ask this is my patrol when I rev the engine it gives a loud masculine sound (like its saying get out of the way or your dead) been hearing other diesel engines and yet they are much more tamed and less noise, somebody told me that it has to be the engine Oil but not working some say its the fuel hmmmm not either is there anybody out there can help me Thank you in advance

my third 256
17th December 2010, 02:27 AM
could be the exhaust that is confusing you

YNOT
17th December 2010, 07:15 AM
The ZD30 has a very distinct clatter because it is a direct injection diesel. You will find Holden Rodeo 2.8 turbo diesel to be similarly noisy for the same reason. Most other diesels are quieter because they use indirect injection. Common rail diesels although direct injection also, are quieter because they use multi shot injection.

Tony

raneydelrey
22nd January 2011, 11:10 PM
HI My third, - No its not the exhaus
Hi Ynot - to tell you the truth i am not that very familiar with the zd30 engine isn't this a CRD type

the evil twin
22nd January 2011, 11:18 PM
HI My third, - No its not the exhaus
... i am not that very familiar with the zd30 engine isn't this a CRD type

Post 2007 IE series 5 and up yes ZD30's are CRD, which is why Tony is correct about injection rattle.

Don't be dicking around with the engine oil too much ZD30's are particular about their spec's

YNOT
22nd January 2011, 11:19 PM
From 2000 thru to about 2007 the ZD30 had electronically controlled direct injection-known as ZD30 Di (with the distinctive sound), 2007 on ZD30 has common rail injection.

Tony

the evil twin
22nd January 2011, 11:41 PM
I love the diesel clatter. Hence my sig.

Oh, is thaaaat what your sig meant...

I thought you liked the sound of daggy sheep... :tongue:

Simon
23rd January 2011, 12:00 AM
what exactly do you want to quieten? The cabin noise or noise outside the car? If its cabin noise you can lift the flooring and put in another layer of sound deadening blanket, if its outside you can turn the radio up, wind your window up or put another muffler into the system... None of which will help much...

Never dick with oils or anything in the motor to make it quieter - unless the noise is because it is broken... I have a 2005 ZD30 and to be honest in normal driving at 60 clicks no radio i can hardly hear it, and hardly hear it idling over... maybe yours is about to become a suicide bomber? hehe

Chaz
23rd January 2011, 01:18 AM
Tony is spot on with the direct injection theory, but a lot of the noise is also from the fuel pump itself. Mine is much quieter since running 5W50 Mobil1 synthetic oil and 2T in the fuel, particularly when cold.

molongmick
23rd January 2011, 09:59 AM
Oh, is thaaaat what your sig meant...

I thought you liked the sound of daggy sheep... :tongue:

X2, was not quite sure, thought it was a dodgy seat belt buckle lol:icon_bonk: