PDA

View Full Version : 98 GU 4.5L mechanical repairs

zuluwoffle
16th December 2010, 01:29 PM
Hey Guys,

Just need some advice from all the pros out there.

Just got an inspection done on the Patrol I just bought and the report has come back with some nasty things and I was just wondering if anyone can advise how much it would cost approximately to fix?

Some sludge in the engine
Oil leak on the tappet cover
rear main oil seal possibly gone
possible reco auto tranny needed
front trailing arm bushes require replacing
front wheel bearings reuired to be repacked and lucky last
rust about the size of a fist to be repaired.

Thank you in advance for the advice given

Matt

YNOT
16th December 2010, 09:08 PM
G'day Matt,

Some sludge in the engine................Unless the sludge build up is severe I wouldn't be overly concerned. You can get oil treatments for cleaning out the sludge, not sure but may be called CEM?

Oil leak on the tappet cover..............Probably just a leaking rocker cover gasket. No big deal, about an hour to fix maximum.

Rear main oil seal possibly gone.......Replacing the rear main seal on a Patrol is a big job, you would want to be sure that is where the oil is leaking from before giving the go ahead on this one. 6 to 8 hours to fix.

Possible reco auto tranny needed.....Have you noticed any slipping, flaring, clunking, harsh gear shifts, torque converter lock up shudder, or any other strange behavior from the auto? If not just get a transmission oil flush. If you do ever get the auto taken out for what ever reason, get them to replace the engine rear main seal while it's out.

Front trailing arm bushes require replacing.......Very common. Takes about 4 hours maximum to do both arms.

Front wheel bearings required to be repacked.....About 2 hours to do both sides.

and lucky last, rust about the size of a fist to be repaired......I'm not a panel beater so I have no idea on this one. Where is the rust?

Tony

zuluwoffle
17th December 2010, 08:18 AM
Hi Tony,

Thanks for that mate. I'll give the whole engine a good degrease and have a look to see where the leaks are coming from to be certain. The gear change between 1st and 2nd is a little harsh and there is some flaring between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th. But I will get a transmission oil flush first and see if that helps and go from there.

The rust is behind the drivers side wheel arch. It hasn't bubbled the paint but i reckon if you were to put your finger on it you would go through.

Thanks again

Matt