PDA

View Full Version : Transmission oil eruption, $100+ down the drain (literally) & driveway

soulburner2000
14th April 2013, 10:49 AM
Pics tell the story.

Been having to warm vehicle up for 5 -10 minutes before driving lately, or it'll stay in first til auto gets up to temp.
About to take my boy to his first footy game of the season, when he runs inside & tells me something's wrong with the GQ. I give up, I'm done. The weather's too unseasonably hot and I can't be bothered getting under and getting filthy just yet, so don't know what split/broke/gave up just yet. Hoses are all still connected through radiator from a glace.

All I know is that I put $120 worth of trans oil when I changed the filter less than a week ago, and here it is now running down my driveway into the gutter. I'm so frustrated and p'ed off, but it's having a calming affect for now.

Any idea's where it may've failed? I will get under there, but need to stay away for now...

Parksy
14th April 2013, 12:44 PM
At a guess, either your pressure or return hoses to the oil cooler have burst. If the engine was running, this will empty the gearbox. If so, head to supercheap, buy some new hose and hose clamps and fluid and hopefully you're on your way.

Have you tried the nulon g60 or what ever the automatic varient is? Chucked the g70 into my manual and this made a world of difference. Might help with your cold start dramas.

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Nulon-G60-Auto-Transmission-Treatment-300mL/1396

Stokezi
14th April 2013, 12:53 PM
check it is not coming from the gear box bell housing

NP99
14th April 2013, 12:59 PM
Or fluid pipe to the radiator?

Dales300exc
14th April 2013, 01:02 PM
If its burst a hose its possible as well its blocked and not returning. Maybe thats half the problem

soulburner2000
15th April 2013, 02:21 PM
still can't bring myself to have a look at it - I'm just so sick of spending money on it

The transmissionn oil as it cycles through the radiator appears to be different on my mine to how it's shown in the service manual. I still don't know why and no one else seems to.

I'd rather walk and catch buses everywhere than waste another cent on this vehicle - just can't afford it at the moment.

NP99
15th April 2013, 04:08 PM
Did the Ford/Nissan models have slight differences?

NissanGQ4.2
15th April 2013, 05:49 PM
Could be coming back up the filler tube, did you work out if you had the right dip stick for your gearbox oil??????

By the picture of the dipstick in your other thread you have way to much oil in it if its the correct one, my full level is probable 1cm up the stick for hot?

Maybe blew a seal because of it been over full.....

lhurley
15th April 2013, 07:57 PM
Do you roughly remember how much oil you put into it? I know they take 12L odd dry, ie 100% empty in the box and torque converter, they should only take about 4-5L if you just drop the pan. If there is to much oil it will come up the filler pipe. Something could also be blocking a line.

I learnt the hard way to not just ignore any odd things with the auto, it cost me nearly $5K cause my torque converter collapsed and basically destroyed the entire box. I was not happy, i also didnt have to car for 2 months.

NissanGQ4.2
15th April 2013, 08:04 PM
Do you roughly remember how much oil you put into it?

This thread will fill you in a bit mate: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19763-GQ-auto-problem-ALMOST-fixed-still-need-some-help-ideas-suggestions-to-nail-it&p=360777#post360777

soulburner2000
16th April 2013, 02:00 AM
Did the Ford/Nissan models have slight differences?

I'm pretty sure they're all nissans, except for the badges and slight cosmetic changes. Everything electrical/mechanical I've pulled off mine has 'nissan' written on it

soulburner2000
16th April 2013, 02:04 AM
can't even get it started now. I went out to start it up to see if that would help me locate where it was pumping out, but no go. I've never had rouble starting it before. The nightmare continues

NP99
16th April 2013, 07:29 AM
I'm happy to come up and lend a hand as well.

lhurley
16th April 2013, 02:55 PM
Im only having a stab in the dark here, but you might be having Torque converter issues. Im not 100%, just guessing. When my tc let go, leading up to that day, it almost had a mind of its own. Wouldnt changed out of first unless it was warmed for a little while, didnt like overdrive, felt sluggish, then driving down the highway, BOOM, no 3rd, crunchy 2nd and a wicked burnt oil smell.

The car wont start if the auto isnt in good shape. If it was me, i would have it at a transmission shop. Mine has already cost me a bucket load of money, but that has just taught me that when somethings not right, fix it properly.

soulburner2000
17th April 2013, 02:48 PM
I've been crook in bed since Monday. I'm just gonna leave it for now.Thanks for the offers of help, dunno what I'm doing yet...

Managed to get up the energy to spray degreaser and hose off, but thought I was gonnan pass out so haven't gone any further

NP99
17th April 2013, 08:46 PM
I've been crook in bed since Monday. I'm just gonna leave it for now.Thanks for the offers of help, dunno what I'm doing yet...

Managed to get up the energy to spray degreaser and hose off, but thought I was gonnan pass out so haven't gone any further

Rest up mate, think positive and some good will come your way!

soulburner2000
18th April 2013, 03:36 AM
I found the 'leak'. Must've been rubbing on the compressor.

On the positive side, I shouldn't need as much oil to refill as I thought.

On the negative side, still won't start. But I've been repairing hoses and wires all night (3:00am now), so whatever it is can wait. There's always RACQ I suppose.

I connected the battery charger and will wait and see...

my third 256
18th April 2013, 06:40 AM
good find and maybe a cheep fix
might be a sensor for fluid level that wont let you start motor

NP99
18th April 2013, 06:41 AM
Good find.....

soulburner2000
18th April 2013, 10:10 AM
sent my son to get me a couple of litres of transmission oil (thought it'd need somewhere around that mark), and after the first litre, started rig up. Once hot, this is what I saw. Still a little over according to the stick, but I'll take it. Hopefully, this is done. Thanks to all the folks who came up with suggestions or offers of assistance - hope I can pay it forward....

jack
18th April 2013, 02:10 PM
Good result mate, hope you can pay it forward.

soulburner2000
18th April 2013, 05:03 PM
went out today and got a heap of fuel hose, top and bttom radiator hoses, couple of metres of oil cooler hose, and a bunch of clamps.

For the hose from the thermostat housing to the radiator 'filler' neck, could I use some oil cooler hose if there's enough left over? Can't see why I wouldn't.

Actually, should I start a new thread with this?
Nah, surely it'll be ok...

NP99
20th April 2013, 08:17 AM
I'd use the hose as you suggest