PDA

View Full Version : Single cab SWB GQ RB25DET Project

GU89
15th December 2010, 09:39 PM
Hey all, decided to start a project truck to keep me out of trouble.

I have thought up a combination, SWB GQ rolling chassis, RB30/RD28 GQ gearbox and transfer, RB25DET engine, GQ Ute cab and custom tray.

I have a few Q's I was hoping to discuss along with the rest of the project.

1. I know R series engine will bolt up to a R series gearbox, however which gearbox do you think will mate better with the RB?

2. Will the SWB tailshafts join up to the RB/RD gearbox that was only offered in the LWB?

3. The RB25 bolts into the gearbox and engine mounts on a RB/RD GU/GQ chassis but will I have to modify the shorty engine that had a TB/TD mounts to accommodate the RB25?

4. What is the best way to connect the dash cluster and which is the best to use?

Thanks,

YNOT
15th December 2010, 10:32 PM
Hey all, decided to start a project truck to keep me out of trouble.

I have thought up a combination, SWB GQ rolling chassis, RB30/RD28 GQ gearbox and transfer, RB25DET engine, GQ Ute cab and custom tray.

I have a few Q's I was hoping to discuss along with the rest of the project.

1. I know R series engine will bolt up to a R series gearbox, however which gearbox do you think will mate better with the RB? RB/RD gearboxes are the same as far as I know, GU RD gearbox has a longer bell housing and requires a custom flywheel.

2. Will the SWB tailshafts join up to the RB/RD gearbox that was only offered in the LWB? Front tailshaft will be OK, SWB rear tail shaft may need a different front flange, not 100% sure.

3. The RB25 bolts into the gearbox and engine mounts on a RB/RD GU/GQ chassis but will I have to modify the shorty engine (did you mean chassis?)that had a TB/TD mounts to accommodate the RB25? Engine mount brackets on chassis will need to be moved.

4. What is the best way to connect the dash cluster and which is the best to use? I would think using dash cluster from an RB30 Patrol would be the easiest.

Thanks,

Should make for an interesting project.

Tony

GU89
16th December 2010, 07:54 AM
Yeah I meant chassis, Thanks for your input. I really cant see any of that being a major issue so now I have to find a cheap shorty to start on.

GU89
16th December 2010, 07:10 PM
Ive had a quick change of direction. Came across a very well priced RB30 GQ in town, im going to pick it up next week. Wont be a shorty anymore but thats ok I can handle that, I will still be taking the wagon body off and fitting a ute cab though.

Now the big question is do I transplant a whole RB25 in or do I make a RB25/30 hybrid with the 30's bottom end?

I would like the better performance but if it is to much of a **** around im just going to transplant a whole RB25.

Cheers for your input

YNOT
16th December 2010, 09:52 PM
For better torque I would be doing the RB25/30 hybrid. My understanding of combining the 2 is you need a slightly longer timing belt and the belt tensioner needs to be moved requiring one or two holes to be drilled and tapped. Not a huge amount of work.

Tony

Teaser photo, you'd swear Nissan put the engine there from new.