PDA

View Full Version : Roof rack security

timmyw
13th April 2013, 12:48 AM
Hi all
We are heading off for 12 weeks shortly, towing out KK. Up through Alice, Darwin, kununurra. Etc
I carry solar panel, extra wheel and a box of bits on the roof.
Just wondering how important it is to lock on all items on and the best method?
Cheers Timbo

megatexture
13th April 2013, 01:06 AM
That's a tough one.. you could get a wire bike lock for the tyre but the rest might need a good few straps to make it look like a pain to get to the gear and/ or throw a Tarp over it so they can't see what's up here

93patrol
13th April 2013, 01:11 AM
There's another thread on here about tie downs where Cuppa puts up a pretty good post on outback towns and security.

Basically ratchet straps from bunnings or similar not occy straps. And people I country towns are more likely to leave your stuff alone. You'll find cities where the pilfering happens.

I am on my phone otherwise I would link it for you. If I get a chance tomorrow I find it

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Stropp
13th April 2013, 11:36 AM
just be very aware at some of the nt towns lock your car at the servo and dont leave anything in the car in view of value as there will be a crowd of locals hanging around and if you leave the car for a minute you will get pilfered, takes them no time at all.

Cuppa
13th April 2013, 02:30 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19491-Roof-rack-strapping

threedogs
13th April 2013, 02:49 PM
You may find a very minor few prey on the tourist as an easy target, but common sense should prevail.
lock your car when you go to pay for fuel.
keep all valuables out of site
Park where you can keep an eye on your 4x4
as per the other thread dont be paranoid about it and spoil your trip
just be aware it may happen, hopefully it wont, enjoy

NP99
13th April 2013, 02:52 PM
When I park for an extended stop I raise the bonnet to release the hot air from the engine bay. Probably no need these days but Dad did when we were kids, it's just a hang over I think :)

NP99
13th April 2013, 02:54 PM
just be very aware at some of the nt towns lock your car at the servo and dont leave anything in the car in view of value as there will be a crowd of locals hanging around and if you leave the car for a minute you will get pilfered, takes them no time at all.

Back in 1989 that happened in our army convoy!!!!

timmyw
14th April 2013, 07:09 PM
A great thread. Thanks.

threedogs
14th April 2013, 07:40 PM
Try looking at the MSA website I'm sure they have large canvas lockable bags for the roof rack

NP99
14th April 2013, 10:03 PM
Try looking at the MSA website I'm sure they have large canvas lockable bags for the roof rack

As long as there are no zips in them!