PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Issues?

DannyGQ
24th June 2010, 05:13 PM
I have a 2001 GU and my steering wheel wobbles due to the front wheel alignment I think.

I have had many alignments adjustments with different alignment places ie
pedders, tyerpower,.

Can anyone help me with what the problem might be and were i could
take it to be fixed. Im currently located in Darwin. Cheers :)

Timbo
24th June 2010, 06:46 PM
What kind of wheels/tyres do you have on it? Do you do much off roading?

I used to find with the stock nissan wheels that after a trip, the inside lip of the rim would fill up with mud and it's almost impossible to get out unless you take the wheels off. This was enough to throw the wheels out of balance every time. After I changed to Sunraysia's, my wobbles disappeared. Also, another problem I had was the wheel weights. They tend to fall off in heavy off roading and of course, it throws the balance out.

My wheels have been wobbling for a while now and I have a pull to the left happening. I've been too lazy and broke to get it looked at, but I definitely need too.

It's weird that pedders or tyrepower haven't fixed it yet or at least told you what it could be. My advice would be to take to to an actual 4wd shop. In my opinion, you don't take a piano to a guitar shop to get tuned. :D

MudRunnerTD
29th June 2010, 12:22 AM
Hi Danny, is it on a GQ or a GU? My GQ is fine but my GU IV is terrible for this.

Tyre wear to the left front outer edge is shocking.

the Wheel alignment is perfect.

Finally i have found someone who knows what he is talking about and matter-o-factly tells me that it is a common problem to Nissan and Toyotas and it is due to the size of the camber on the roads here. The factory spec for the alignment assume no camber on the road and therefore are not suited to our roads.

I am getting some 1-degree offset king pin bearings fitted in the next week or so to the front left and this should sort out the problem.

Expensive fix but cheaper than a pair of front tyres.

DannyGQ
29th June 2010, 09:09 AM
Hi Danny, is it on a GQ or a GU? My GQ is fine but my GU IV is terrible for this.

Tyre wear to the left front outer edge is shocking.

the Wheel alignment is perfect.

Finally i have found someone who knows what he is talking about and matter-o-factly tells me that it is a common problem to Nissan and Toyotas and it is due to the size of the camber on the roads here. The factory spec for the alignment assume no camber on the road and therefore are not suited to our roads.

I am getting some 1-degree offset king pin bearings fitted in the next week or so to the front left and this should sort out the problem.

Expensive fix but cheaper than a pair of front tyres.

Hi MudRunner, yeah its my GU.

1-degree offset king pin bearings, would never have thought of that and obviously none of the gurus up here did either.

Great help, thanks for that!

patch697
29th June 2010, 01:01 PM
Forgive me for being a dere on this subject matter but didn't the GU's run IFS?

Cheers
Paul

Woof
29th June 2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Danny, just a suggestion, have you tried swapping the front wheels around.
I had the same problem on my 2007 GU, did this problem solved.

poopatrol
29th June 2010, 09:44 PM
Hey Danny, first i'd be balancing the wheels, second i'd be replacing panard bar bushes, if still wobble look at steering damper king pin bushes. Most gu wobble because of wheel balance or panard bar bushes . Also note . Check that the rims are not bent as nissan factory wheels have a habit of not being round and also crack.. Good luck..