PDA

View Full Version : Update:Smoking Engine

Roger
14th December 2010, 10:05 PM
G'day all I have change the fuel filters and checked the air filter Can't drain fuel as no bung in tank so I suppose you mush have to pump the fuel from tank? I have been checking others on Internet and seems like a lot of people have similar problems so here is some of the answers they have come up with. Hope this can help http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

February 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm
it sounds alot to me like the (MAFS) mass air flow sensor has had it. The sensor is located just after the air cleaner box and is very prone to failure if the filter is not changed regularly, or in abnormaly dusty driving conditions. im led to believe that these air sensors cannot be cleaned properly once clogged and replacement is often the only option

my brother in wa had a similar problem, it turned out to be contaminated fuel some kind of algae that lives in diesel , he had to replace fuel tanks and fuel system.and have the seals in the turbo checked may have blown onemight be worth a look. good luck.

while i am unfamiliar with this particular engine i suspect an injection timing problem i noticed you mention belts have been replaced recently. this is a engine with an overhead cam and timing belt driven injection pump? even a slightly off-time pump will give your symptoms and one that is off a whole tooth will give hard starts and lousy performance to boot. you need to start at the basics.
note in extreme cold white smoke from diesel exhaust on initial start-up is normal -15 degrees F and below. if turbo seal was bad the smoke would be blue and could potentially run away [self fuel via lubrication oil]
black smoke is typical of over fueling or late injection
white smoke is typical of too early injection smoke may at times go black due to governor trying to compensate by adding more fuel.

Bigrig
14th December 2010, 11:24 PM
G'day all I have change the fuel filters and checked the air filter Can't drain fuel as no bung in tank so I suppose you mush have to pump the fuel from tank? I have been checking others on Internet and seems like a lot of people have similar problems so here is some of the answers they have come up with. Hope this can help http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

it sounds alot to me like the (MAFS) mass air flow sensor has had it. The sensor is located just after the air cleaner box and is very prone to failure if the filter is not changed regularly, or in abnormaly dusty driving conditions. im led to believe that these air sensors cannot be cleaned properly once clogged and replacement is often the only option

my brother in wa had a similar problem, it turned out to be contaminated fuel some kind of algae that lives in diesel , he had to replace fuel tanks and fuel system.and have the seals in the turbo checked may have blown onemight be worth a look. good luck.

while i am unfamiliar with this particular engine i suspect an injection timing problem i noticed you mention belts have been replaced recently. this is a engine with an overhead cam and timing belt driven injection pump? even a slightly off-time pump will give your symptoms and one that is off a whole tooth will give hard starts and lousy performance to boot. you need to start at the basics.
note in extreme cold white smoke from diesel exhaust on initial start-up is normal -15 degrees F and below. if turbo seal was bad the smoke would be blue and could potentially run away [self fuel via lubrication oil]
black smoke is typical of over fueling or late injection
white smoke is typical of too early injection smoke may at times go black due to governor trying to compensate by adding more fuel.

Good job mate ... well done on hunting this stuff down and posting for others!!