PDA

View Full Version : Speakers into middle doors. Or other ideas

BigRAWesty
10th April 2013, 01:53 PM
Why? well quite simply I like my tunes and with the draw system going in in already noticing the lack of sound coming from the 6x9's in the rear door.

So has anyone fitted to middle doors?
This is a GQ so I will be modding skins to house the speakers.
I have electric windows so that's one thing I have to dodge, but I cant see it being an issue with some spacers.

Was thinking of mounting them into the draw system as I will have spare room behind the seats. draws stop at baby seat points, but lid continues to back of seats. A good option, but worries they will be crushed when loaded up.

so what do you guys do when installing fold down benches off the rear doors?

Please put pics and a brief description. Ill compile a few ideas into a build thread as well as my build.

and leaving out is not an option..:D

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

BigRAWesty
10th April 2013, 01:53 PM
Reserved for build when it happens

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

BigRAWesty
10th April 2013, 01:54 PM
And another reserve

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

threedogs
10th April 2013, 02:34 PM
Just throwing this out there ,Have you made the verticle divider and top shelf cargo barrier style , You could fit 2 there
or if you have the OMG handles in cargo area utilise them, or at the back up the top facing forward, nahh got nothing kallen you're on your own lol

kevin07
10th April 2013, 04:56 PM
or get a gu i have a whopping big set of 10 x 7s in the middle doors

healy
10th April 2013, 05:13 PM
Why can't you put them into all 4 doors I did in th Q and now have them in the U aswell they sit about shin height there's plenty of room just use 6.5" splits sounds heaps better than 6x9s and 7x10s

NissanGQ4.2
10th April 2013, 06:29 PM
Can't put pics as I haven't done it yet, but this is what I have been thinking of

I have two 6 inch ( I think ) round in the front drivers side and passenger's side doors, these I will leave

I have two 6 x 9's behind the drivers and passengers seat, these were ok until the little kids started growing and are know kicking in the grills on the speakers, these have to be moved!

Current 6 x 9 location below

Mounting above rear door idea below

Mounting to roof above passenger seat idea below

I originally thought about mounting them at the rear doors up high and out of the way but after thinking about it some more have decided I will mount them above the rear seats and incorporate some reading lights for the passengers and some lights facing the rear for lighting when I open the rear doors, also going to incorporate some storage space for the kids books and toys

Well that's the plan anyway :)

Cheers

Toddie

threedogs
10th April 2013, 06:40 PM
Faded right, one in each door should sound ok I personally haven't worried about the sound system in the GU.
Last 4x4 had internal roll cage with huge amp etc hidden in the false roof, by could that pump out a tune.
must be getting old eh

oncedisturbed
10th April 2013, 06:41 PM
As Healy mentions, 6" or 6.5" splits produce a better sound and generally easier to install and take less room (in most cases).

In the instance of auto windows, you can either put in "spacers" or look at shallow mount speakers, there are a few brands making these

Winnie
10th April 2013, 06:44 PM
I reckon 6x9s are crap... As said 6.5" splits will outperform any day!

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

NissanGQ4.2
10th April 2013, 06:53 PM
I reckon 6x9s are crap... As said 6.5" splits will outperform any day!

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Well if you but me some 6.5" splits I will happily throw my 6 x 9's in the bin :)

healy
10th April 2013, 07:04 PM
I've got 6x9s boxed and just hooked up to the stereo in the garage with original set and now have thumping stereo to work to

Clunk
10th April 2013, 08:40 PM
As Todd already mentioned in his post...... Above the rear doors. Here's trolatron build thread, showing the same thing..... Reckon it look pretty damn good. I believe it's on the first page of the thread

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=358

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

NissanGQ4.2
10th April 2013, 09:09 PM
As Todd already mentioned in his post...... Above the rear doors. Here's trolatron build thread, showing the same thing..... Reckon it look pretty damn good. I believe it's on the first page of the thread

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=358

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Page 2, Post # 7............that's the one :)

04OFF
11th April 2013, 12:28 AM
Im a bit confused with all you guys saying 6.5 inch splits will out perform 6x9s ?, you are not mentioning brands or dollars spent, yet supposedly "every" 6.5 inch split will out perform "any" 6x9 ?

I can't see how you all can make such a statement, as not all 6.5" splits have seperate crossovers, and in fact some may have the same mid and high frequency drivers (tweeters/speakers) as a 6x9/s, and run the same capacitors to prevent overdriving of the smaller cones.

Some 6x9s have adjustable swivel tweeters so you can tune the direction in which they fire, a 6x9 will generally have the ability to produce better low end responce than the smaller 6.5", yet can still have the same mid and high quality drivers.

Now sure, 6.5" splits have the ability to run your satellite speaker/tweeter in a higher or more suitable location for sound quality, but seperating the drivers is not "always" better, it depends on so many factors, including the type of car ,speaker location, and most of all ,the installer.

Often the tweeter can sound good near the main driver, now having the tweeter up high is not "everything", and unless you know how to set them up (most dont) you will see people just whack em where they fit easy anyway, with no regard to staging or sound quality, and sometimes, too greater distance from the main driver can sound very bad indeed.

For the average joe with no car audio skills, who is going to just put speakers where ever they fit, and will not be going to a lot of trouble to try and get the most out of the system, 6x9s are a great choice ! :biggrin:

BigRAWesty
11th April 2013, 12:44 AM
Well some top ideas, and nice thinking with the middle roof section toddie. Can build it into the cargo barrier, so its all flush and sexy...

That speaker pod is of its chops. The whole dam shorty is insane.. but can't for the life of me work out how he mounted it in?

And with mounting in the doors I was going to get a spacer which is sloped upwards. They will fit depth wise easily enough, just asking for others opinions..

Once draws are done, next is a roof console, so might be able to mount them there.. see how it looks..

Cheers for the ideas guys

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

healy
11th April 2013, 08:38 AM
Im a bit confused with all you guys saying 6.5 inch splits will out perform 6x9s ?, you are not mentioning brands or dollars spent, yet supposedly "every" 6.5 inch split will out perform "any" 6x9 ?

I can't see how you all can make such a statement, as not all 6.5" splits have seperate crossovers, and in fact some may have the same mid and high frequency drivers (tweeters/speakers) as a 6x9/s, and run the same capacitors to prevent overdriving of the smaller cones.

Some 6x9s have adjustable swivel tweeters so you can tune the direction in which they fire, a 6x9 will generally have the ability to produce better low end responce than the smaller 6.5", yet can still have the same mid and high quality drivers.

Now sure, 6.5" splits have the ability to run your satellite speaker/tweeter in a higher or more suitable location for sound quality, but seperating the drivers is not "always" better, it depends on so many factors, including the type of car ,speaker location, and most of all ,the installer.

Often the tweeter can sound good near the main driver, now having the tweeter up high is not "everything", and unless you know how to set them up (most dont) you will see people just whack em where they fit easy anyway, with no regard to staging or sound quality, and sometimes, too greater distance from the main driver can sound very bad indeed.

For the average joe with no car audio skills, who is going to just put speakers where ever they fit, and will not be going to a lot of trouble to try and get the most out of the system, 6x9s are a great choice ! :biggrin:
6x9s are the same price and sound difference is there splits are better sound wise and take up less room so easier to fit dosnt matter what car you have take a look at winning comp spec cars and price is the same if you want a nice brand for splits (infinity) if you want a nice sub go MTX thunder 9500 they have a nice amp as well if you want a good brand head unit go Alpine I have had comp spec stereos running over 5000 wrms do not look at peak power it's watt rms is what you look at when buying a speaker

04OFF
11th April 2013, 10:29 AM
6x9s are the same price and sound difference is there splits are better sound wise and take up less room so easier to fit dosnt matter what car you have take a look at winning comp spec cars and price is the same if you want a nice brand for splits (infinity) if you want a nice sub go MTX thunder 9500 they have a nice amp as well if you want a good brand head unit go Alpine I have had comp spec stereos running over 5000 wrms do not look at peak power it's watt rms is what you look at when buying a speaker

You still don't mention "why" splits sound better ? (keeping in mind my previous post)

I am not a newb to this stuff, as well as Running my own P/A hire buisness for 6 years (outdoor movies and event setups), and building various Home Theatre rooms (including my own) I used to also build my own car systems and compete in Car Audio comps, i have a hand full of trophys for winning car audio comps, i got out of it a while back, as i got sick of the BS with judges giving mates or shops a preverence with no real basis, often its who spent the money with these guys deserve to win , not always the best car.

So while im sure things have changed, i bet the BS is still there, and all those "winning" systems will have heaps of speakers, NOT just 6.5" splits, they will all have Subwoofers , mids and a vast array of speakers, so you can hardly account a win due to 6.5" splits, they are just used as a part of a bigger system ,most likley because,(as you suggest) they fit behind the door trim easy ,and they will be crossed over as mid to high range so are never asked to produce full range or lower frequencys (subs do this work)

Now you mention Subs, so one sub is good , but one brand and style is not suited to all applications, and all products by one Co are not always good (eg "all" Alpine head units are NOT good) so just suggesting a component or brand cos you think its good, does not take all the other important factors into consideration.

Dont forget that OP is not looking at a full on comp system, we are not talking about building a system with Subs , but most likley just fitting 2 simple speakers, so for a 2 speaker only install, 6x9s have a lot to offer when comapred to a 6.5".

healy
11th April 2013, 11:38 AM
I'm not saying the 6.5s will win a comp and i know he dosnt want a comp set up its an off road car my stereo is inder $500 for a reason because its gonna get hammered I'm saying 6x9s are shocking compared to 6.5s I suggest kallen go to a jb hifi or similar were you can play on the wall you will tell the difference big time it's clearer it's not just a cr4ppy bass sound as 6x9s or 7x10s etc will produce and running 6.5s around the doors you won't need subs as that's the point of a split and also works really well if you have or ever decide to run a DVD setup for kids etc in my and a lot of people I know agree 6x9s are a great paper weight. Sony have an explode range great really cheap but also do the job well and unless you want to hit a thousand for a set of speakers IMO is a great way to deck out a 4b and you don't have to stress about damage so much and I'm not throwing names out there but alpine clearly make superior units infinity make proberly the best speakers on the market MTX thunder series are best bang for buck you could get. I never enterd comps as the $hit that is involved with shops and mates is an unfair game I totally agree with you on that I use to build for me and mates as I build stuff to suit my needs I couldn't care about showing off to others. And hey look we have created to views for kallen to think about. Go the 6.5 splits lol

Cbates
11th April 2013, 11:50 AM
I agree with Healy! I have run 6.5 splits in my old celica and probably gonna put them in the patrol. They weren't amped and they sounded amazing, really clear and could keep up with the sub I was running, if your running a sub as well you probably don't need 6x9 as they can get distorted quickly when running piggybacked with a sub as they put out more bass than needed. I'd say a decent set of splits! Wait till jb has a 30% off sale and pick up some then! Good luck

04OFF
11th April 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm saying 6x9s are shocking compared to 6.5s I suggest kallen go to a jb hifi or similar were you can play on the wall you will tell the difference big time it's clearer it's not just a cr4ppy bass sound as 6x9s or 7x10s etc will produce and running 6.5s around the doors you won't need subs as that's the point of a split

Sorry mate but you are wrong here, 6.5" splits are not a substitute for subs and never will be, if you want sub 100hz frequency bass "that works", you need a sub, actually ,the whole point of splits, is to allow the installer to best place the tweeter, to obtain accurate audio staging and sound quality to suit the enviroment (the car).

Subs tend to have a much larger dia cone, as well as much longer cone travel, both designed to move a greater volume of air, this movement is often what we feel as bass, and is responsible for higher SPL (sound pressure level), so remember, a 6x9 has a slightly larger main cone (approx 8" round), so it has the potential to move more air than a 6" driver.

To be honest, Ive never heard any speakers from the xplode range that sound good, i am starting to think perhaps our idea of "good" is far apart ?

As for Alpine, yes i always ran top of the line Alpine head units in my comp systems, and still own Alpine head units in 2 cars, but some of the cheap entry level headunits have a very "made in china" sound i dont much like, in entry level gear i think heaps of brands would be equal or better.

It frustrates me a little, when you guys are basically saying, a two piece speaker is better than a single bigger speaker 100% of the time, all im saying is this is just not the case, im not saying one is better than the other, as it depends on the enclosure available, buget, install, installer ,way too many variables to say one is "always" better (but that is what you are saying anyway)

Anyway ,look this could go on for ages (lol) and does not help tho OP much now !:tongue:

Cbates
11th April 2013, 03:33 PM
I agree, the more pricey alpine gear is the way to go, had it in 2 cars also and has always performed!

BigRAWesty
11th April 2013, 04:47 PM
Ok guys, no need for a debate on speaker size, were all equal and its not the size but how you use it... ;)

How about which speaker position will give the best speaker range. Imo the across the top. Its a non obscured line for the high pitch, but a nice size box for the bass..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Ps, 6x9 4 ways rule supreme... :D

gu8 patrol
11th April 2013, 06:15 PM
Mate ive got 6 1/2 cobalt splits in the front,6 1/2 cobalt 3 ways in rear doors and 2, 8 inch subs in draw system facing rear seat,amp under drivers seat.

threedogs
12th April 2013, 08:47 AM
Setting up a sound system is a science and I really mean it, a few mates work at JB HI FI and they blow me away when they start waffling on.
Kallen saw you spotted that rear speaker set up on another thread, very neat install BTW,
Dont forget the old RIVNUT tool , makes intalling bits neater and easier, Not sure if blue mood lighting
would be your thing though lol more a red guy IMO lol

BigRAWesty
12th April 2013, 09:32 AM
Setting up a sound system is a science and I really mean it, a few mates work at JB HI FI and they blow me away when they start waffling on.
Kallen saw you spotted that rear speaker set up on another thread, very neat install BTW,
Dont forget the old RIVNUT tool , makes intalling bits neater and easier, Not sure if blue mood lighting
would be your thing though lol more a red guy IMO lol

Yea I know.. had a few setups back in the day. Use to do comps and won a few of the basic, budget categories.. my eb falcon could be heard miles away..
Dislodged the boot skin several times.. :D
Well ill do the front roof console and template up some points to see how it looks..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Airstrike
16th April 2013, 03:29 PM
How did you go? I want to do the same now I chopped into a dual cab. Front only speakers suck...

tip it tap it slap it

BigRAWesty
16th April 2013, 04:04 PM
How did you go? I want to do the same now I chopped into a dual cab. Front only speakers suck...

tip it tap it slap it

Well after looking at it the middle row covers most of the door pannel, so it may not be any better.. will have a play..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

ozzyboy
16th April 2013, 04:40 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6954-ozzy-s-GQ/page3

Does mě just fine. Cheap and a good sound.

Ozz

Airstrike
16th April 2013, 07:14 PM
Looks good Ozzy.. Did you do anything with the back seat doors? I am trying to get 4 speakers in all 4 doors now I have no rear end.

ozzyboy
16th April 2013, 09:00 PM
Nah máte. 6x9,s on the drawers throw out that nice sound in the guts.
Im a fan of 6x9's, just not in doors.
Ozz

TMC
16th April 2013, 09:56 PM
I have focal splits up front for high and mid range which I can't rate highly enough and alpine type r in the mid doors.
Soon twin 8" sub in rear when drawers happen.
IMO it works and works well.
When you guys do it though dont forget to put down some dynamat or focal B.A.M sheets in the doors behind the speakers. Really makes a difference..

BigRAWesty
16th April 2013, 10:52 PM
Also quilt stuffing makes a sweet bass expanding product. But only good for fixed glass panels..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Airstrike
17th April 2013, 12:22 AM
I have focal splits up front for high and mid range which I can't rate highly enough and alpine type r in the mid doors.
Soon twin 8" sub in rear when drawers happen.
IMO it works and works well.
When you guys do it though dont forget to put down some dynamat or focal B.A.M sheets in the doors behind the speakers. Really makes a difference..

Can you post some pics here TMC I am keen to see the set up.

TMC
17th April 2013, 01:57 PM
So I never read the first page and realise the problem you all have is the gq.

Mine is a gu so had 6.5 holes there already just upgraded the cables to 16awg massive cable but I'm abit of a sound nerd from back in my sound producing days.

As for the gq I personally would stick away from the rear of the car unless you have a sub. Then you only really need a component type speaker as you low frequencys are handled by a sub.
The whole Idea of 6x9 type speakers are to handle more low frequencys without a sub. Splits. More highs and lows.
As previous people have said on this thread you could go on for hours about it.

So best bet. Make a mould for you mid doors. Or a spacer.
That way your not losing sound from the back when it's packed full of gear

Cheers..
Troy

threedogs
17th April 2013, 03:49 PM
I had 6x9s 4ways in the doors and cargo area of last 4x4 boy could that crank out some tunes, the Three Tenors crystal clear flat out not doof doof lol.
Hurry up Kallen so I can start doing mine, Are you running head unit off AUX battery, Decent sound system will drain your main battery very quickly

BigRAWesty
17th April 2013, 05:06 PM
I had 6x9s 4ways in the doors and cargo area of last 4x4 boy could that crank out some tunes, the Three Tenors crystal clear flat out not doof doof lol.
Hurry up Kallen so I can start doing mine, Are you running head unit off AUX battery, Decent sound system will drain your main battery very quickly

Trying to finish draws before next wednesday.. so it'll be after Anzac day. Sorry td.

As mentioned thought the gq middle seat covers most the door.. so yea ill cut some card board templates and stick on to see.
Apart from in the cargo area I am building an overhead console, and might move head unit up there to allow room in the dash for my drinks holder.. I hate hanging wires so uhf will stay up front..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Airstrike
18th April 2013, 01:55 AM
Im thinking of putting these on the doors (I have electric) maybe then a minimal hole into the card of the door.

http://www.aerpro.com/p.php?pcode=APF69HGR

TMC
18th April 2013, 02:08 PM
That's the go mate. Even pods.

Cheers..
Troy

BigRAWesty
18th April 2013, 07:38 PM
Im thinking of putting these on the doors (I have electric) maybe then a minimal hole into the card of the door.

http://www.aerpro.com/p.php?pcode=APF69HGR

Yea I was to, you going to face them up?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Airstrike
7th May 2013, 11:28 PM
Yeah face up so I can blow my ears out. I drive distances so the louder the better.

tip it tap it slap it