PDA

View Full Version : Manuals

macca86
9th April 2013, 11:37 PM
To save heart ache can we please make manuals only available to forum sponsors or those with over say 100 posts to stop wankers getting 25 posts up then pissing off. It is costing the forum money band width etc. you can get the manuals on cd from ebay fpr 8 bucks stope being cheap c u next Tuesdays!

NP99
9th April 2013, 11:43 PM
I support that motion.

BigRAWesty
10th April 2013, 12:02 AM
I think in the latest change AB is changing outing the manuals on a separate server with access going to the members who have a basic membership.
I think. If not then yea I agree, its getting annoying. But any change will cost Ab.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

macca86
10th April 2013, 12:10 AM
may save the thousand wankers here just for manuals. how many people do we see spamming the intro section for manual mods cant be online all the time. I hate waking up clicking whats new then seeing wanker 123 commented on newby 123 saying welcome mate.

megatexture
10th April 2013, 12:42 AM
Yea agreed 25 isn't a deterrent enough to keep the riffraff out lol, I haven't even down loaded them yet lmao

Clunk
10th April 2013, 12:53 AM
Now now children play nicely.................. now who can tell me they didn't come across this forum doing some search or other for info on Google. Who didn't initially join up, rack up a few posts saying a few gdays to people in the intros before getting a feel for the place and posting up elsewhere.
And before anyone gets there heckles up, personally im not bothered if the manuals are here or not, I bought my manual off ebay , still yet to download a manual, even though I first came here searching for a gq user manual.
The ones that go and say Gday in the intros are only doing what is asked of them and at least they're doing it unlike some others that just post rubbish up all over the place from the onset.
With any luck the ones who post up the 25 intros will hang around a lot longer and join in a bit more, I for one was a slow starter and although I'm no more useful on here than a used bog roll, I still joined In the comradeship and have met a few top guys from being on here.

I personally I think threads like this go against the whole principle of what I believe the forum stands for.

And yes I also find it a pain wading past all the intros threads to look at or read other threads......... but guess what???!!!! I just flick passed them, because quite frankly there are for more pressing things to worry about.

Think about it............

That's just my 2 cents worth......... I'll shut up now

What you tapin at!!!!!????

macca86
10th April 2013, 12:59 AM
worth talking about I'm fine for people getting manuals but how may members do we have under 50 posts that got manuals and pissed off. I came here for manuals and to research before I bought rather than spam every page to get 25 posts in an hr I joined in with convos and asked questions rather than say hey mate 25 times.
its open for discussion just think with the strain andy has been under maybe time to change this to lighten the load

megatexture
10th April 2013, 01:08 AM
Mm... suppose it was raised to 100 post, its annoying flicking past 25 post of nothing imagine 100 post lol

Woof
10th April 2013, 01:14 AM
Now now children play nicely.................. now who can tell me they didn't come across this forum doing some search or other for info on Google. Who didn't initially join up, rack up a few posts saying a few gdays to people in the intros before getting a feel for the place and posting up elsewhere.
And before anyone gets there heckles up, personally im not bothered if the manuals are here or not, I bought my manual off ebay , still yet to download a manual, even though I first came here searching for a gq user manual.
The ones that go and say Gday in the intros are only doing what is asked of them and at least they're doing it unlike some others that just post rubbish up all over the place from the onset.
With any luck the ones who post up the 25 intros will hang around a lot longer and join in a bit more, I for one was a slow starter and although I'm no more useful on here than a used bog roll, I still joined In the comradeship and have met a few top guys from being on here.

I personally I think threads like this go against the whole principle of what I believe the forum stands for.

And yes I also find it a pain wading past all the intros threads to look at or read other threads......... but guess what???!!!! I just flick passed them, because quite frankly there are for more pressing things to worry about.

Well said Clunky and I totally agree with you mate, as long as they play by the rules that are set here, then as is good.

Clunk
10th April 2013, 01:15 AM
Oh how I would love to wade through over a 100 threads of intros just to find something I'm interested in.
Its not only the manuals that suck up the resources but that's another matter.
Would upping the post count to get the manuals help??.... I doubt it very much.
Would making them available to sponsors only help??.... no doubt what so ever and it would probably help with keeping the number of spammers down.

At the end of the day, its up to AB how he wants to run with the manuals.

cgm
10th April 2013, 01:22 AM
Putting level to 100 just means 100 spam instead of 25. Mods will be happy with that - not! :)

tapatalk on galaxy note

Maxhead
10th April 2013, 06:40 AM

Nicely said mate,

I think this subject has been covered plenty!

What is asked of someone to get the manual is to post 25 posts and that's what they do.
If they are rubbish posts then different story.

Lets move on.

.........on the move

taslucas
10th April 2013, 07:32 AM
New members are told in the introduction to "welcome a few other members and your post count will be up in no time". That's why a lot of them put up a heap of posts in the intro section.....they are told to!
I, like a lot of others didn't even come looking for a manual and I was well over 2000 posts when I finally did download it haha. When I comes to car mechanics I'm dumb and no amount if reading the manual will fix that. It's the real people and the real life tips and experience on here that have helped me in my never ending quest to throw money at my patrol:-)
The only thing that slightly annoys me is the near weekly "what do I need for a 2" suspension lift" question. But I can easily ignore that and go hang some sh!t on Winnie, growler or clunk. :-)

FanTapstic!

AB
10th April 2013, 09:00 AM
Hey blokes, yeah the manuals aren't an issue anymore with the bandwidth. We're on our own server now so that is not the issue.

We originally sourced all of the manuals as a bait to get more people on here to start the forum and it was a huge success. Then it got out of control with the bandwidth and I had to make the 25 post restriction to limit the downloads. Most times people do the right thing, put up an intro and welcome 24 other members. That part doesn't really bother me. They found this place because of the manuals and they might come back to ask questions as the manuals are not a complete bible of everything you need to do know to fix every single problem.

If I was to do anything I would rather just make it free for everyone with no post restrictions.

BigRAWesty
10th April 2013, 09:57 AM
Fair call. And good to here the new home is supporting it all well.
I actually get a bit if a laugh from the spammers, like the other night.. you watch the post count .. 20, 21, 22, there neraly there, 23, 24.. then bam see you later.. its like you mods are playing cat and mouse.. :D
Good stuff...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MC97GQ
10th April 2013, 10:15 AM
If I was to do anything I would rather just make it free for everyone with no post restrictions.

Hey Andy,

What would be the problem with doing that, I know it seems a bit rude for someone to just sign up to get the manuals, but it probably would save you and the mods the hassle of deleting the spam.

Also what if the introductions section was removed from the what's new search, so those members who don't want to troll through a bucket load of new introduction threads don't have to.

Just some thoughts

Mark

AB
10th April 2013, 10:22 AM
Hey Andy,

What would be the problem with doing that, I know it seems a bit rude for someone to just sign up to get the manuals, but it probably would save you and the mods the hassle of deleting the spam.

Also what if the introductions section was removed from the what's new search, so those members who don't want to troll through a bucket load of new introduction threads don't have to.

Just some thoughts

Mark

Hey mate, the only problem that could arise would be 1000's of other sites grabbing them and putting them all on their sites.

We have hundreds of websites linking to us which helps our Google Rankings. Manual directories sites, PDF sites and numerous automotive sites. If we did open it up for all then we would lose those links and all of those spammy directory sites would come in and take the manuals. I know of a few people (including myself) worked for months trying to find all of these so it would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to have everyone take it off us.

Understand that we took it off other people...lol....But to spend months finding it all and collaborating it all into one section is the winner.

fracster
11th April 2013, 12:12 PM
I just googled Nissan patrol and Google found this place for me. I read a bit, decided that a lot of you guys knew a lot about Patrols, a lot of you have my kinda sense of humour, even BA.

Manuals are a bonus for me to be honest.

Site is what it is and what the users make it to be honest.

Ben-e-boy
11th April 2013, 12:49 PM
New members are told in the introduction to "welcome a few other members and your post count will be up in no time". That's why a lot of them put up a heap of posts in the intro section.....they are told to!
I, like a lot of others didn't even come looking for a manual and I was well over 2000 posts when I finally did download it haha. When I comes to car mechanics I'm dumb and no amount if reading the manual will fix that. It's the real people and the real life tips and experience on here that have helped me in my never ending quest to throw money at my patrol:-)
The only thing that slightly annoys me is the near weekly "what do I need for a 2" suspension lift" question. But I can easily ignore that and go hang some sh!t on Winnie, growler or clunk. :-)

FanTapstic!

or send people stickers with pubes stuck to them lmao

taslucas
11th April 2013, 05:12 PM
or send people stickers with pubes stuck to them lmao

I'm NEARLY %100 sure it was an eyelash!!!!! Hahaha

FanTapstic!

Winnie
11th April 2013, 05:13 PM
It was still funny as farrrrrk!

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Ben-e-boy
11th April 2013, 05:17 PM
It was still funny as farrrrrk!

quiet you... You still need to come good on your challenge and do big red. ( yes I havnt forgotten and never will)

AB
11th April 2013, 05:19 PM
quiet you... You still need to come good on your challenge and do big red. ( yes I havnt forgotten and never will)

Yep, I'll fly up for that one too.....Can't wait!!!!!

Winnie
11th April 2013, 05:25 PM
One day Benny one day.....

taslucas
11th April 2013, 06:23 PM
Who got the "eyelash" sticker? Or did it go in the new fire pit?? Lol

FanTapstic!

Maxhead
11th April 2013, 06:33 PM
You still need to come good on your challenge and do big red. ( yes I havnt forgotten and never will)

Yep, I'll fly up for that one too.....Can't wait!!!!!

I'll defiantly come up for this one as well...start planning Chrisso!!! LOL

AB
11th April 2013, 08:01 PM

Better mod that puppy up before the hill sunshine...lol

Winnie
11th April 2013, 09:19 PM
But AB it's a TD42..... it will crawl up anything LMAO

Clunk
11th April 2013, 10:32 PM
It probably will ........

with someone at the wheel who knows how to drive it .......

and tie their own shoelaces ......

and "go poopy" by themselves ......

Did I mention you look young???

LMFAO!!

Scotty (Bigrig)

You're a cruel cruel man Scotty....... Correct but cruel hahahaha

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

seehuusen
10th June 2013, 08:45 AM
if it's such a major effin problem, let me host the bloody files.... *sigh*
oh no, bandwidth, what a third world problem! (yes new to this forum, yes I was looking for a manual)

You do realize that this is how many of us found this site, yeah? and as such, it is actually attracting a new audience to your closed society...

AB
10th June 2013, 08:53 AM
oh no, bandwidth, what a third world problem! (yes new to this forum, yes I was looking for a manual)

You do realize that this is how many of us found this site, yeah? and as such, it is actually attracting a new audience to your closed society...

Welcome to the forum mate, It's usually not really a problem at all with bandwidth anymore but we all decided to leave the rule in place as a lot of people spent shiploads of time trying to source these manuals. It's not really that hard mate, put up an introduction about yourself and just go and welcome another 23 members and job done... 5-10 minutes.....Not hard really???

I'm also quite aware of the manuals attracting the audience as I do online marketing for a living. We are up 140,000 visitors a month and a lot of those people are after the manuals so if you do the math then bandwidth can be an issue if left open for every lazy bugger that can't be bothered contributing anything back to the forum.

EBay has them for sale if thats too much trouble mate.

Bloodyaussie
10th June 2013, 09:03 AM

Oh poor you.... you want to take for free and all you can do is complain !!!
We are not a closed society but a very open and friendly one who enjoy sharing our knowledge and interest with others.

Then there are people who just take and do not want to give back.......??

NP99
10th June 2013, 09:11 AM
Geez AB, you are a saint.......I wanted to lunge at him!

AB
10th June 2013, 09:14 AM
Geez AB, you are a saint.......I wanted to lunge at him!

I always like to let people know the reason behind the rule first and give them a chance to understand and kindly reply. If the reply is rude or aggressive then they are banned of course.

growler2058
10th June 2013, 09:54 AM
ROFPML
Love these threads

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

MudRunnerTD
10th June 2013, 10:06 AM

So you have been a member here since March 2011! And This is your first post! In the same period the people that have responded here have probably made a combined 17,000 posts.

Closed Community? Nah mate, your an Idiot!

No point Banning you really is there! 1 single Junk Post in over 2 years!

Get back under your Rock Farkwit

Kindest regards
our Community!

Edit***

Feel free to head over to the Introduction Section and post an Introduction thread. We ask All New Members to Say Hello when they come into the room. courtesy! You know, Manners ;)

*sigh*

threedogs
10th June 2013, 10:20 AM
X 2 the rules say and some senior members here tell newbies to say hello to others in the intros and you'll have your manual in no time
Forum asks for 25 posts hopefully intros or comments on members ride, once they have the manual, fixed their 4x4 you would hope they'd
return and repay that favour. But some ppl are funny fish

NP99
10th June 2013, 10:27 AM
It's not hard to contribute in a positive manner, plus there is some funny stuff to read!

threedogs
10th June 2013, 11:41 AM
Ahhhhhh remember the ground hog video fondly Rlmfao that day Kaahhboooommm !!!!

fracster
13th June 2013, 02:35 AM
Jesus, is it really so hard to contribute, all you have to do is laugh at BA, and Growler eating hot as f*** chilis.

menace 2
13th June 2013, 04:52 AM
I posted in an earlier thread which had seemed to demonstrate the comradery and approach that would have probably initiated the forum back in the day and there has been many other threads the same…I am relatively new to forums , in fact this is the only one I am in , and being extremely new to here compared to a lot of blokes and ladies involved , I don’t think I am even qualified to get involved with the politics of this thread.
Macca has started this thread because he has concerns and frustrations along with other members also and probably rightly so..I was not aware of this manual thing until a thread about 3 weeks ago mentioning it so it just goes to show how much I read , I just jump in ! lol..I was thinking that with an issue such as this that maybe it is a better idea for Administrators , moderators , and long term associates who may have influence with the runnings etc to initiate the discussions by way of PM’s or other forms of contact to discuss any solutions rather than expose it to the world .
I joined this forum to be part of something that I am also interested in and at the same time to hopefully involve my cheese and kisses who is english limited being from a different country from her comfort zone of expat friends to meet other fair dinkum aussies in events if the occasion arises and is convenient ,so everyone joins for a myriad of reasons and there is obviously going to be exploitation from some people for the wrong reasons if it is on offer…I don’t have the answers , shit..I wouldn’t have a clue how to run something like this on a day to day basis but as a newbie I couldn’t help but think , what are thoughts of oneself unless 400 odd posts etc are completed ..I am like a blue heeler , I hang in there but I wondered if any other potential newbies would divert somewhere else for fear of being seen in the same light as a “manual exploiter “ until a certain amount of posts completed due to the exposure of the distaste it creates .
I hope I haven’t overstepped my mark by putting thoughts to words and by all means ..tell me to piss off , but as I said before I am like a blue heeler , I hang on and copted on the chin…lolololol
Cheers all

PM..I have all my own manuals , workshop manuals and CD’s and a world of knowledge here….lolololol but thanks for the offer that I obviously missed when joining

AB
13th June 2013, 07:32 PM
Appreciate your post mate and a very justified comment to boot.

I think the main issue I have with all this is the lack of respect to the person who signs up knowing full well of the 25 post rule and the reason why this in place to suddenly put up their first post as a blatant rant and disrespect to the forum. They are in fact exploiting us so a reply to their rant is justified without hiding it in PM's. They asked a question and or had a rant and they will get a reply.

I have tried my best to educate visitors of the rule so they do not "waste their time" when they come to the forum. If you go the forum not logged in it is plastered at the top of the page highlighted in yellow and as a sticky in the manuals section and no doubt 400 other pages throughout the forum.

The forum is just too big to handle that kind of download. The Y62 manual is free to download as a test I ran and only last month it racked up 2TB of resources in only one month. If I opened up all the Y60/GQ and Y61/GU manuals than the user experience (being the members) that I care about would be extremely frustrating with the speed of the forum pages loading.

Anyways back to your second question...lol

I wondered if any other potential newbies would divert somewhere else for fear of being seen in the same light as a “manual exploiter “As rude as this may sound on text...If any potential members divert somewhere else for fear of being seen in the same light then do we really want that type of person on our forum?

If you have been bought up with respect to people and can follow a simple 5 minute rule for very justified reasons then you will not find any of this disrespectful nor feel any reason to be scared of joining the community. As explained above with the extreme measures I have put in place to advise potential members of the manuals rule inside that explains a very simple way to get them...

Intro = Hi my name is XXXX, I love Patrols and I have a XXXXXX
Welcome 24 other members, job done, get your manual and I hope they come back.

This brings down the downloads greatly and also eliminates the 4 billion other websites that want to direct link to the manuals URL on our servers.

If anyone can't simply follow that rule which takes about 5 minutes than good luck to them.

to initiate the discussions by way of PM’sUnfortunately mate this has been tried a million times with PM's and they simply do not read PM's. They are on here for 1 minute to "exploit" the forum because they are pissed off they can't get something because they have to put a tiny bit of effort in.

Lazy and disrespectful in my book!!!!

This forum was built on respect for each other and whilst there has been politics lately due to my lack of absence I am back on board now and respect will be given!

Good post though mate, I enjoyed writing that and I hope that answered some of your questions!

hershal
13th June 2013, 08:01 PM
Although I am only still a newbie here at this forum, I totally agree with the 25 post amount. The fact that you need to post 25 posts before getting a manual shouldnt really be an issue. I mean whats the main reason for signing up to a forum anyways? Advice, general Chit Chat etc. I must admit I did search for the manuals online, mostly or the fact I wanted to know what was in them before I bought one for $50 to see if it was relevant. However once introducing myself, and asking a few questions and getting into discussion with other forum members, I wasnt even at my 25 posts and I already had my answer. Kind of made the idea of getting the manual useless. I did however download it once I was up above the 25, noticed that the gregorys one had the relevant info, and now I have a hard copy from ebay too.

Plus the forum is the biggest manual you are going to find anyways, its a living breathing, ever advancing knowledge base. Best thing is, if you cant find the answer you can always ask. Most of the time you get a good response and the answer you were looking for. Cant get that in a hard copy manual. If its not in there, its not gonna change.

Anyways my rant on the matter. :)

AB
13th June 2013, 08:04 PM
Although I am only still a newbie here at this forum, I totally agree with the 25 post amount. The fact that you need to post 25 posts before getting a manual shouldnt really be an issue. I mean whats the main reason for signing up to a forum anyways? Advice, general Chit Chat etc. I must admit I did search for the manuals online, mostly or the fact I wanted to know what was in them before I bought one for $50 to see if it was relevant. However once introducing myself, and asking a few questions and getting into discussion with other forum members, I wasnt even at my 25 posts and I already had my answer. Kind of made the idea of getting the manual useless. I did however download it once I was up above the 25, noticed that the gregorys one had the relevant info, and now I have a hard copy from ebay too.

Plus the forum is the biggest manual you are going to find anyways, its a living breathing, ever advancing knowledge base. Best thing is, if you cant find the answer you can always ask. Most of the time you get a good response and the answer you were looking for. Cant get that in a hard copy manual. If its not in there, its not gonna change.

Anyways my rant on the matter. :)

Good reply mate and thanks for your support!

menace 2
13th June 2013, 08:04 PM
Cheers AB..as I said , I have no idea of what it takes to run a forum like this and the protection needed to the availability of products...obviously all avenues for communication have been tried by the experts ...
I had no issues with the reply to the one post approach that came , I could definately understand the frustrations of the blokes...I would be the same if a long termer.. to defend an area I have been a part of for a long time..
By the PM.s and oher means I meant for you blokes to use to formulate a solution to it ...but that is ok ...lolol
Thanks for your reply AB
Cheers Menace

steven69
23rd July 2016, 05:04 PM
hi guys
I am a new member as of today but I have used this fantastic forum to rebuild a rb30 nikki carb for a friend using you valuable words of wisdom and experience.
I agree 100% about the joining of the forum just to download the manuals but would like to suggest that new members could open these manuals so they could look up there problems.
I have just purchased my own first 4x4 which is a GU st 4500 1998 which has a 100% Nissan service history and has a couple of little things that requires some work and over the next week or so I will be posting for the guys and girls on the forum to help me out.
keep the good work all
steve

Dhuck
23rd July 2016, 05:30 PM
Dang. I want the manual, but I have only been here 6 years and thousands of posts. Yes I have downloaded a couple but have had better results from those that have been here for a while. Rant rant rant! Can I now say some explicits.

the evil twin
23rd July 2016, 05:36 PM
hi guys
I am a new member as of today but I have used this fantastic forum to rebuild a rb30 nikki carb for a friend using you valuable words of wisdom and experience.
I agree 100% about the joining of the forum just to download the manuals but would like to suggest that new members could open these manuals so they could look up there problems.
I have just purchased my own first 4x4 which is a GU st 4500 1998 which has a 100% Nissan service history and has a couple of little things that requires some work and over the next week or so I will be posting for the guys and girls on the forum to help me out.
keep the good work all
steve

You are now good to go download the manuals as/when you need them... this thread is about 3 years old

growler2058
23rd July 2016, 05:56 PM
Just download em maaannnn