PDA

View Full Version : 2" lift, what parts?

outback
9th April 2013, 11:38 AM
Just had the patrol suspension redone with standard height King springs and Ironman Nitro shockers.

This improved the ride but after a bit of a run in the Quorn area I feel I need to move to a 2" lift with some constant load springs.

On going through threads on this the implications is that this only requires springs, shockers and caster bushes to be replaced.

Some placed advertising 2" lift kits also list steering dampeners, sway bar extensions and a brake proportioning valve bracket

So my problem is: what are the parts needed for a 2" lift?
It’s a 2005, ST patrol with ZD30 engine

The current new springs and shockers in the GU wont be wasted as they can go into the Maverick.

ozzymalone
9th April 2013, 01:03 PM
From my understanding you should only need springs and coils with a 2inch and no caster bushes. Any higher and the caster can be a problem.
If fitting larger tyres, a steering damper might be worth considering but not 100% needed. Swaybars will still be fine and I believe the brake proportioning valve bracket will be fine too.

Hopefully one of the 'experts' can re-assure me here....just going off what I've read/heard.

threedogs
9th April 2013, 01:30 PM
X 2 with above you'll only need coils and shocks

outback
9th April 2013, 02:01 PM
Won't be fitting bigger tyres. The castor bushes were the biggest bit of confusion. I read somewhere on one of the company's selling 2" lift kits said you should also include castor bush changes even for a 2" lift. Other places only consider them as a possible addition if you feel like it.

Still got to make that final decision on spring and shocker brands as well as the foam vs gas shockers.
Ah decisions!!!!

lorrieandjas
9th April 2013, 02:04 PM
Hi mate - I recently put in a 2" lift and did not do anything other than springs and shocks. The rest is stock standard. If you go to 3" or more you will then need to start swapping other bits out. If you are doing it yourself one trick is that the brake line on the front may be stretched when you are at full flex - however where it attaches you can lever the bracket up an inch or so and it won't be stretched any more!

Jas

Biscuits
9th April 2013, 05:16 PM
Springs and shocks, and i would be wary about putting the constant load in, they are VERY stiff, I have them in mine and wish that I went softer.

outback
9th April 2013, 11:31 PM
Springs and shocks, and i would be wary about putting the constant load in, they are VERY stiff, I have them in mine and wish that I went softer.

That was one thing I am a bit cautious about. I don't run big loads in normal day to day work so constant loads could be an over kill.

As it is this is not a 'got to do tomorrow' project. So I will do a bit more background into this anyway.

04OFF
10th April 2013, 01:08 AM
If you want to retain your swaybars, and like to go doing serious 4wding, id suggest longer link pins, on full flex you will be stretching the rotational travel of the swaybars (especially the rear) and you may bend or break a link pin as i did.

Your swaybars should sit pretty level so they have equal travel (or swing up and down), after the 2 inch lift they will be pointing "up" as if the suspension is at half flex already, so on full flex it puts great strain on the links and bushes.

As the others said, you dont "need" to do it if you dont do anything hard, but just be aware of it just incase.

megatexture
10th April 2013, 01:13 AM
You can get brackets to extend your chassis/ sway bar mounts from arb I paid 15$ 3 yrs ago and they make front and rear ones cheaper option then longer links that will set you back a few more $ unless you like the idea of dislocating ones

GU4PLAY
10th April 2013, 01:13 AM
i used to work for ARB as an installer doing alot of suspensions first question what sort of bullbar steel or alloy ,winch? what sort of load are you thinking of carrying the last thing you want is for it to sag when loaded when your going away? sales guys you to sell everything castor bushes swaybar extension brackets. when i did my own i went for heavy fronts springs i think 150kg and 200kg constants in the rear ,steel bullbar and winch to come and carrying camping gear for a family . even without winch and a full load still handles great offroad .OME suspension . a good retailer should ask you what your intentions are and be able to work out something that will suit exactly what your looking for.

outback
10th April 2013, 11:17 AM
I went through that sort of calculation about loadings. Surprisingly few sites offering lift kits etc actually consider this.
I went to one of the Adelaide 4WD repair/maintenance places and these were the first questions beside questions re off road work I would do.
As it is this is a project in working. seems the $$ bit is getting in the way.

Beni C
14th May 2013, 02:29 PM
Good thread!

I have been doing a heap of research as well and the difference in information for a 2" lift is huge!!
So from starting with only the springs and shocks to worry about, I am also looking at a steering damper, castor correction bushes, adjustable drag link, sway bar extensions and a brake valve proportioning bracket!

I am also struggling with the spring rates as I am wanting to utilise a 2" kit while adding all the accessories and then move to a 4". The list of gear I want is pretty huge plus I want to be able to tow a camper as well.

I am the kinda bloke that likes to do things once and properly, not piss fart around playing with heaps of set ups.

BigRAWesty
14th May 2013, 02:35 PM
In your case Beni and your future plans I would start with maybe +100kg springs.
Just get springs and shocks. Then build slow with all the adjustable stuff and when ready throw the 4" in there the rest is done..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Beni C
14th May 2013, 02:57 PM
Cool thanks Kallen! Sounds like the go!

BigRAWesty
14th May 2013, 03:04 PM
If you can try and keep stock radius arm bushes.. ever car is slightly different. Mine was to much caster and needed the correction bushes, but many run without them.
If you can do without them then its a matter of just fitting drop boxes when the 4" goes in.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Beni C
14th May 2013, 04:33 PM
Will try mate, I suppose its just a matter of bolting it in and see how she handles.

BigRAWesty
14th May 2013, 04:54 PM
Will try mate, I suppose its just a matter of bolting it in and see how she handles.

When you get a wheel alignment the guys will tell you if its needed or not..
But after doing a 2" lift I'd get springs, shocks and adjustable drag rod (if the gu8 doesn't come stock with them..) so you can centralize the steering box and steering wheel..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of