PDA

View Full Version : Extending Tray

emu
8th April 2013, 11:08 PM
Hi, i am looking at making a new tray and have a trayon camper which is 2200mm long, but i also want to have a aluminium box madeup for a engel fridge with slide.

The fridge box would need to be 450-500 wide so the tray lenght needs to be approx 2.7mtrs long, so can anyone see any potential problems with this idea.

Also thinking of mounting a removable wheel carrier on the rear of the tray directly behind the camper.
Camper weighs only 650kgs when loaded with 70% of weight slightly infront of rear wheels.

Have got the idea from Shepparton 4x4 centre, he has same setup but is on a cruiser.

Will appreciate any feedback.
Cheers

threedogs
9th April 2013, 07:57 AM
You may find you will have too much over hang,
Have you looked at extending the chassis to suit,
That would be safest way. Mate did same set up as you for a Cape trip,
without extra Fridge area, All 4 Koni Shocks failed from all the weight.

Or look at some of the guys here with Pods and see their set up. Cuppa comes to mind
As an example of an outback touring set up.

emu
9th April 2013, 11:40 AM
Hi threedogs thanks for the reply.
My intension is to headup to the cape for 3mths, have been there twice doin the telegraph and fishin, will build the patrol up to do all the hard stuff over the next 3-4 yrs cape, birdsville, tanami ect.

I have worked for telstra for yrs with a patrol upgrading remote radio systems all over OZ and she has been loaded up to the sh%&house most of the time, had extra leafs put in after an argument with our fleet mob said that doesn't matter if the springs bend back the other way, nissan set them straight.
Only big issues i had was in 07 with a new 3ltr which had 2 new engines in the first 35000kms both times the oil in the engine ended up all over the roads. the new one i got last year has improved much more response and acellerates much better, but because i am now workin around NE vic all the time they are givin me a hilux instead (cheaper for them)

Anyway a was going to place extra reinfocement into the new tray to take the overhang only issue i could see is the lenght reducing my approach angle when climbing mounds.
The steel tray on it now has a crane mounted to it (will replce will new tray) but i could still fit the trayon to it and have it overhang the 300mm just to see what the suspensions like with the weight set back.

Cheers

Old Wal
9th April 2013, 12:01 PM
G'day emu. My GU has had a chassis extension done rear of the spring hanger of approximately 400mm - gives me a tray size of 2400x1900 internally. Over hang is a bit of pain as it does reduce your departure angle- tow bar will drag at times. My ute is used for work ( mainly on road ) so I can put up with it dragging occasionally.Hopefully when I upgrade suspension I will gain a little extra clearance.Ideally a chassis extension should be done in front of the rear axle giving you a longer wheelbase - bit $$$$ though.Of course then your ramp over angle changes.

emu
9th April 2013, 07:50 PM
Hi Old Wal, i'm lookin at not putin her throught too much twistin hard stuff but then when you don't know the tracks it makes it hard to judge, so going to have to be quite strong to put up with the unknown.

Will post some pics of the potential beast.

Cheers

Cuppa
9th April 2013, 07:58 PM
On the legal aspects any extension has to conform to the 60% rule. This means that the maximum overhang from the midpoint of the rear axle to the furthest rearward point cannot measure more than 60% of the vehicle's wheelbase.

Cuppa

emu
9th April 2013, 08:06 PM
Ok so heres a couple of pics before rego transfer.
Rear tray that will be replaced
Engine bay
Front pic
Basic interior
And the trayon camper that will be mounted onto the new tray, only just fits on the au ute(doesn't like it either)

emu
9th April 2013, 08:16 PM
Hi Cuppa, being readin a few of your posts, very informative, hope you enjoy your pod............so 60% without me going outside with the tape would be ?.

I'm lookin at increasin the lenght approx 300mm, so hope it's within range will check in morning, thanks

Cheers

Cuppa
9th April 2013, 08:33 PM
Hi Cuppa, being readin a few of your posts, very informative, hope you enjoy your pod............so 60% without me going outside with the tape would be ?.

I'm lookin at increasin the lenght approx 300mm, so hope it's within range will check in morning, thanks

Cheers

Measuring is the best way, but according to wikipedia the wheelbase is 2970mm. This would allow a max overhang (including any load - spare wheels, jerries, tow ball etc) of 1782mm.

Cuppa

emu
9th April 2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks Cuppa, went out in the dark and the measurement from axle to end of existing tray is roughly 1400mm, so if i'm guessin right i might be ok?
I will look further into it as i go but i must say that all the coppas i know wouldn't have a clue about tray lenghts ect, and vic roads muppets would prob be the same.

Cheers

Cuppa
10th April 2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks Cuppa, went out in the dark and the measurement from axle to end of existing tray is roughly 1400mm, so if i'm guessin right i might be ok?
I will look further into it as i go but i must say that all the coppas i know wouldn't have a clue about tray lenghts ect, and vic roads muppets would prob be the same.

Cheers

If the back of the existing tray is the rearmost point (no towball sticking out beyond that?) then you have about 382mm to play with.
I would guess that if only slightly over you might avoid detection on a 4x4 by coppers & VicRoads easier than if it were a motorhome or converted bus. I know of folks who have been over length on their RV's for years & never been checked, but I also know of plenty who have, particularly when travelling in NSW where they seem to have blitzes on them every so often. My view would be that a basic extended tray would be less likely to attract attention than one with a camper on it. Whether anyone would get a tape measure out in the event of an accident who knows? Probably depends upon whether the extension 'looks' obvious, or stock.

Legalities aside the further behind the axle any weight is the greater the 'pendulum/lever' effect & thus the greater the impact on handling, braking & stress on the chassis.

This topic came up in conversation last weeken whilst I was camped with a bunch of folks in converted buses & campervans. One person suggested that it is possible to obtain an OD (over dimension) permit which lasts indefinitely. I'm a bit suss about whether this is true or not, but might be worth investigating. (EDIT: Have just posted a query about this on a motorhome forum where I'm a member & wil feed back if I get any useful info)

On a related topic, when folks extend their chassis behind the rear axle do they get the modifications 'engineered'? Fairly recently, when getting a local fabrication company make me a gas bottle carrier to attach to a chassis rail, they made it quite clear that the method of attachment had to be achieved without welding or drilling the chassis, as they were not allowed to do so.

Cuppa

threedogs
10th April 2013, 10:59 AM
Also the slide on you're buying my mates was the Mob in South Aust, empty it weighed 800kg. so you may be looking at a GMV upgrade as well.
Again Cuppa has just done this. Superior engineering have a bolt on chassis up grade kit. If you know your way around a welder you may be able to weld in any gussett
plates required. Not sure you'll be able to tow anything as the tow hitch would be way too long even using 6mm rhs. Plus as stated your departure angle will be null and void IMO

@ Cuppa most manufactureres have a NO DRILL POLICY on the chassis more so Holden welding a big No No as well

emu
10th April 2013, 03:41 PM
If i get time over weekend will do some homework on exact size of tray required allowing for slide out engel in box, building tray with box behind cab and finding out where the centre of weight is on the trayon.

Trayon camper is 420kg empty, water tank is at front 100ltr/kg, hoping centre of weight just in the camper will be just forward of rear axle...........but will wait and see.

Threedogs, not sure about the GMV on this ute, but the rear end has 3 extra leafs that are 15mm thick each...........the local offroad exhaust joint thought they looked impressive.
Will post up some results when done.......thanks fellas

Cheers

Cuppa
10th April 2013, 05:12 PM
I think you'll find your GVM is 3400kg. It will be on the compliance plate on the firewall, under the bonnet.
I suspect that you, like me, will struggle to stay within the GVM once you take the weight of the slide on camper, tray, spare wheel(s), bullbar, side steps, tow bar, fuel, fridge, food, water, camping gear, tools, recovery gear, driver & passenger etc etc into account. Believe me it all adds up very quickly!!!
Probably not too hard to set up for short breaks in the company of other vehicles, but setting up for long term self sufficient travel & staying under the GVM is a major challenge. I will watch your progress with interest.

What style of travel & length of time away are you planning for?

Cuppa

emu
10th April 2013, 09:10 PM
Lookin at yearly trips about 3mths away at a time but could escalate into longer trips, the idea is to go into remote areas camping on beaches catchin fish & crabs and forgeting what day it is.

Biggest issue is being able to be self suficient as far as recovery gear, communiction etc which as you say can add up to a lot of weight.
Cheers

Cuppa
10th April 2013, 09:31 PM
An admirable aim that I share emu. Our limiting factor will be water, we can carry about two weeks worth. Not sure how long we can carry food supplies for yet. Power generation will allow for indefinite use of fridge & freezer. A deserted beach somewhere on the Kimberley coast & and plenty of reef fish for the eating is my fantasy.

Cuppa

emu
10th April 2013, 10:33 PM
Normally i camp near streams of some sort but i quess up on the beach (except Fraser Is) fresh water ain't that plentiful.
I might just have to keep up with my 10 375ml beers to a glass of water regrime

emu
15th April 2013, 09:36 PM
Was a bit slack on weekend but did have a good measure up of the tray, after changing the coolant.
looks like i need to extent about 280mm for a 50 lt engel and will also lift tray to suit spare wheel under tray.
I'm taking her into abbeyard on weekend with my dirtbike for a ride with 250 other nuts.

Cheers

Cuppa
15th April 2013, 10:03 PM
Was a bit slack on weekend but did have a good measure up of the tray, after changing the coolant.
looks like i need to extent about 280mm for a 50 lt engel and will also lift tray to suit spare wheel under tray.
I'm taking her into abbeyard on weekend with my dirtbike for a ride with 250 other nuts.

Cheers

Rntension sounds ok then.
Have fun riding. I used to do a few enduros but gave it away when it took me a week to stop aching afterwards.

Cuppa

emu
2nd November 2013, 09:26 PM
Hi all, it's been a while sold the old tray with the crane for $2500 a few months ago and have been busy on other projects, but i have finally started to build the new tray 2 weeks ago, its 2500 x 1980
I"m having an aluminium box made up for behind the cab that will be 450mm wide to accomodate the slide out engel fridge on one side and a slide out draw on the other, should be ready for pickup next week.
I have lowered the fuel tank to make way for a spare wheel under the tray, just need to weld up the wheel hanger and then make up an under tray battery box.
The floor of tray will be 3mm aluminium checkerplate.

Hoping to have it all finished within the next 3 weeks so will post some more pics when done.

emu
3rd December 2013, 04:34 PM
Here's a couple more pics of the tray painted, should be finished soon.
The battery box is for a 200ah Lithium LIFEPO4 setup, will go into that later.

threedogs
3rd December 2013, 06:09 PM
Are you gooping and then riveting on the alloy checker plate.
Looking good BTW, you may want to look into strengthening
the rear shock towers as they have a tendency to crack.
You could also mount some more batteries under the tray to keep weight down low.
Too much waisted space under a tray IMO, large pull out drawer at the rear??

emu
5th December 2013, 10:21 AM
Hi TD, i used stainless rivets and sikaflex which appears to have done the trick.

Now it's looking flash, going to have to wear the sunny's at night.
Just waiting on the box now.

threedogs
5th December 2013, 11:59 AM
That's come up a treat gotta be happy with that.
Bling it on LOL

macca
5th December 2013, 12:14 PM
Very tidy. Well done.

threedogs
5th December 2013, 02:20 PM
Out of interest is the tray frame sprayed with 2 pack or enamel ?

emu
5th December 2013, 10:04 PM
Hi TD, i just used an enamel because it was easier to use.

sparrow
7th December 2013, 06:51 PM
Very nice Emu!
Did you use anything to isolate the aluminium checkerplate from the steel frame? Or does the sika and enamel take care of that?

love ke70
16th December 2013, 08:28 PM
three dogs, how do the batteries fair under the tray when you put them under water?
I used to have mine under there but moved them into the canopy when I built my canopy.
2500 is a nice length I reckon.
Mine is 2580 and on a coilcab. I am very very seriously considering shortening it up to about 2100, its very ass heavy

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/arowland2/GQ%20patrol/IMG_3584_zpsaf8aafb0.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/arowland2/media/GQ%20patrol/IMG_3584_zpsaf8aafb0.jpg.html)

Have moved the tent right forward and changed springs and shocks since this (to a very stiff spring) will see what happens when the motor goes back in, if I still dont feel safe in it I will be shortening it up.

emu
19th December 2013, 09:27 PM
Hi Sparrow, by the time eletrolosis does the job she'll be in the graveyard and i'll probably be in there with her.

emu
19th December 2013, 09:40 PM
Ok i'm all done, and very happy.:bananarock:

And just in time to go camping over xmas, will post a couple of pics to show the setup.
Thanks for all the info you have shared on this website.