PDA

View Full Version : Horn on GQ

Nanango
14th December 2010, 07:10 AM
If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Just picked up my patrol, but the horn does not work. Have not reached my 25 posts so am unable to download the service manual. Can someone please assist with telling me where the fuses and or relays are for the horn circuit. A wiring diagram for the circuit would also be appreciated. The patrol is a 96 RX GQ with a TB42E engine / manual transmission.
Thanks in advance
Rick

YNOT
14th December 2010, 08:08 AM
The fuse should be in the fuse box hidden behind a cover in the RH kick panel (beside the accelerator pedal). The relay is under the black cover beside the battery.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
14th December 2010, 04:52 PM
Check that you have power to the Horn mate, it may be the horn itself. The horn is just behind the grill and you should be able to take the wire off the back and check that you have a circuit there, if you do scrap that crap one and buy another and plug it in.

You may find the relay around near the washer bottle also??

If you do find that you have a horn circuit then at least the switch in your steering wheel works and you can establish a new circuit if you need to and run a new relay and horn back to that switch circuit and power the relay off the battery.

Cheers

Nanango
15th December 2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the help, will get onto it tomorrow as just got back home a couple of hours ago. Saw where the horns are (there are two of the beasts). Tony, had a look at the fuses where you said, but none were labeled as belonging to a horn circuit. Same thing with the relays next to the battery, no mention of Horn on anything.

Nanango
15th December 2010, 08:50 PM
Will start by checking all the fuses and the horns as well, and see where we go from there. Once again thanks
Rick

Nanango
16th December 2010, 02:02 PM
Tony,
You got it thanks mate. Both the fuse and the relay for the horn circuit were under that black cover you mentioned beside the battery. Was not expecting to see them hidden away under a cover that was screwed down. Turned out to be a blown fuse.
- Thanks everyone now I have another question that someone may be able to help with, namely running lights. Will check the threads then may post a new enquiry.
Regards Rick

vixim
11th April 2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks for this post. I finally found the horn relay under the black cover by the battery. Alas it was not the problem, nor the fuse, the horn itself or the switch. No, my problem must be the wiring between the steering wheel and fusebox, or fusebox and relay. Its all thats left. FWIW, I had no fuse under the black cover (89 GQ), just the relay.

MudRunnerTD
11th April 2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks for this post. I finally found the horn relay under the black cover by the battery. Alas it was not the problem, nor the fuse, the horn itself or the switch. No, my problem must be the wiring between the steering wheel and fusebox, or fusebox and relay. Its all thats left. FWIW, I had no fuse under the black cover (89 GQ), just the relay.

check the kick panel beside your right foot then for the fuse mate. Definitely a fuse from factory.

Check the switch function on the actual steering wheel then bud, even an Ohms check of the steering wheel switch circuit will tell you whether you have a full circuit or break?

Good luck mate

vixim
11th April 2012, 02:23 AM
Thanks MudRunnerTD. Fuse is def. okay and switch seems okay too. Took steering wheel centre out and wired directly to horn via battery and woke up the neighbours no worries (oops). Will run a wire outside from steering wheel to relay tomoz to see if that works.

BTW, saw some of your pics through mudholes on Otway. Nice work!!!

vixim
17th April 2012, 12:44 AM
I wonder if anyone has any more advice? Problem is certainly between the steering wheel and the the relay (under the metal plate near the battery) as if I bypass that with test lead the whole circuit works.

The steering wheel switch receives a single wire to its centre. This wire disappears into the steering shaft, but where it goes from there i can not tell. Also the wheel itself appears to provide the earth, so maybe its not brushing correctly to the chassis? I'm really not sure.

Anyway, managed to pass the roadworthy check so its not too drastic :)

Yendor
21st April 2012, 05:00 PM
I wonder if anyone has any more advice? Problem is certainly between the steering wheel and the the relay (under the metal plate near the battery) as if I bypass that with test lead the whole circuit works.

The steering wheel switch receives a single wire to its centre. This wire disappears into the steering shaft, but where it goes from there i can not tell. Also the wheel itself appears to provide the earth, so maybe its not brushing correctly to the chassis? I'm really not sure.

Anyway, managed to pass the roadworthy check so its not too drastic :)

This should be a Light Green wire with a Black trace.......if you touch this wire to earth does the horn work?

Yes the horn switch provides an earth to complete the horn circuit (it gives an earth to the Light Green wire with a Black trace).

There is a little pin that runs on a metal plate on the back of the steering wheel, this pin can wear out. Have a look and make sure the pin is still making contact with the back of the steering wheel.

Do you still have the genuine Nissan steering wheel fitted?