PDA

View Full Version : GU Rear Diff Lock

strawbs
13th December 2010, 11:41 PM
Hi all,

I have a 98 GU TI with rear diff lock. When I purchased the vehicle the diff lock never worked.

I found out recently that one of the vaccuum switch's (lock) was not working. I purchased a replacement switch for it (a non nissan aircon sys vaccuum switch), it works that same as the original.
The problem I have is that when I have connected the new switch into the harness and switch the diff lock switch to "Lock" the unlock (the old switch that still works) switch opens and the new switch remains closed. I found that when I remove the new switch the unlock switch closes as it should in the lock mode, but when the new switch is reconnected, the old switch opens again. ??????

Could it be that the Diff lock controller (what ever computer it is) finds the new switch to be different and keeps the unlock switch open so the diff can not lock as a safety thing????

I have 12v to the new switch when in Lock mode. I also noticed that there is 2v going to the new switch when in Unlock.

If some one could help me that would be great. I have a worshop manual but there is no wire diagram for the diff lock. :(

Sorry for the long post (its getting late). If you need it better explained, let me know and I'll have a go earlier in the night. :)

Cheers,

Strawbs.

YNOT
14th December 2010, 05:55 AM
I assume the vacuum switches you are referring to are the solenoids that control vacuum to the locker? It is common for these solenoids to fail from lack of use.
It sounds from your description like the new solenoid you are trying to use is not compatible. Try swapping the unlock solenoid to the lock circuit and see what that does.

Tony

strawbs
27th December 2010, 10:47 AM
Looks like its all fixed. I played around with all the connections and it seems to work. Must of been a loose wire.