PDA

View Full Version : Boat trailer tie downs

gaddy
3rd April 2013, 06:07 PM
Hi all
I have just been fined for not having tie downs on the rear of my boat , $256 the two safety chains on the front do not count , and the straps are to be rated for the boat and trailer weight , just a heads up at least for the QLD guys

Cheers
Gaddy

Hope this is in the right section ??

threedogs
3rd April 2013, 06:13 PM
Bit confused as not a boatie , is that what some ppl use turnbuckles for???

Alitis007
3rd April 2013, 06:21 PM
Yeh thats what i thought TD, in Vic i have never heard of that ever happening!!

gaddy
3rd April 2013, 06:22 PM
Sort of the front chains on mine are turn buckles one chain fwd and one back to stop fwd and rear movement , then as the nice copper informed me today I need rear tie downs in case of a accident to stop the back of the boat from leaving the trailer

Gaddy

NP99
3rd April 2013, 06:38 PM
I have a ratchet tie down on the rear.....I best check its rated, then again, most cops wouldn't know! Sounds like you we're unlucky mate.

threedogs
3rd April 2013, 06:46 PM
There was a thread a few months back about having rated shackles or chain ,but shackles make sense.
Trying to remember what mate does hand winch and hook on the Bow and turnbuckles or rachet strap over the rear.
I'll ring and find out.

Rang mate he has a seperate safety chain at the front, and 2 x straps on the rear, plus hand winch locked on bow

gaddy
3rd April 2013, 06:47 PM
He informed me they had caught quite a few ,it was a rbt I have been pulled up in the same place quite a few times with the boat behind , it's near the manly hotel first time they have checked the trailer for straps ,

NP99
3rd April 2013, 06:48 PM
Yeh thats what i thought TD, in Vic i have never heard of that ever happening!!

That's because VICPOL are chasing the real bad guys.....

NP99
3rd April 2013, 06:50 PM
He informed me they had caught quite a few ,it was a rbt I have been pulled up in the same place quite a few times with the boat behind , it's near the manly hotel first time they have checked the trailer for straps ,

Chances are he is a boatie too and knows the rules a bit better, the average cop would not pick up on it.

threedogs
3rd April 2013, 07:24 PM
Thinking NP99 maybe right do boaties use that road a lot??
combo RBT and RWC stop maybe next week motorbikes and trucks

MEGOMONSTER
3rd April 2013, 07:31 PM
Makes sense as you can get fined for not having stuff tied down in a trailer so would be same with a boat.
But it is a bit petty of him to give a fine like that. And that much also.

NP99
3rd April 2013, 07:42 PM
Thinking NP99 maybe right do boaties use that road a lot??
combo RBT and RWC stop maybe next week motorbikes and trucks

The Manly boat harbour is very close, so yes, many use it.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd April 2013, 07:58 PM
We legally I don't think they have a case

Read page 170 of the below document, I don't see it stating it must be tied down to the rear

http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/LoadRestraintGuide2004FullCopy.pdf

NP99
3rd April 2013, 09:15 PM
We legally I don't think they have a case

Read page 170 of the below document, I don't see it stating it must be tied down to the rear

http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/LoadRestraintGuide2004FullCopy.pdf

The boat should have a strap over the stern, attaching it to the trailer. That's the quote out of page 170

NissanGQ4.2
3rd April 2013, 09:20 PM
Sorry I confused myself with someone else's post and thought he had a rear tie down.

Yeh mate rear needs to be tied down

NP99
3rd April 2013, 09:22 PM
Sorry I confused myself with someone else's post and thought you had a rear tie down.

Yeh mate rear needs to be tied down

Only if the cops are about :)

gaddy
3rd April 2013, 09:45 PM
yep its just one of those things , always had safety chains , guess i have been lucky , off to get some straps tomorrow , they also gave the patrol a once over as well ,

gaddy

Alitis007
3rd April 2013, 10:36 PM
Over all i rekon thats a load a bull dust!! I know for the safety of your boat you should strap down the transom to the trailer and have the safety chain incase the winch lets go for some reason BUT not a fine at least a warning or a heads up!!

gaddy
3rd April 2013, 11:17 PM
No heads up or warnings anymore , I'm a rep so on the road all day , 14 years with no fines picked up 2 before Xmas 3 points $325 each both at the bottom of hills , find I spend more time watching the speedo than the road these days , but what gets on my goat is for 1 of them the car beside me was on the phone and drinking a coffee and I get done for 10 k over in a 4 lane road

Gaddy

NP99
3rd April 2013, 11:19 PM
Over all i rekon thats a load a bull dust!! I know for the safety of your boat you should strap down the transom to the trailer and have the safety chain incase the winch lets go for some reason BUT not a fine at least a warning or a heads up!!

Yeah, it's called discretion...........not widely used these days. :(

rottodiver
3rd April 2013, 11:33 PM
That sucks but let me tell you a true story that you had to see to believe.......
I was riding a push bike down the cycle path along the kwinana freeway about 8 pm( a main hwy that head into the centre of Perth 100km/h speed limit )about 12 years ago and watched a chain of events occur that amazed me...so here goes and visualise this.
There was a car that pulled in front of a truck that was carrying plastic chairs, a pile of plastic chairs fell off the truck all unbeknown to the car and truck) a car that was towing a small boat( dinghy) was not far behind and then that car swerved to avoid the chairs, the boat then flipped almost on its side while on the trailer( the trailer stayed as it should but the boat was not tied down on the back). Because of the sudden flip a fuel tank came out of the boat( a metal 20 litre one that outboards plug into). Then the next car that came along hit the fuel tank and it got wedged under the car creating a hole in the tank and with the sparks the fuel tank caught alight under the car.the car with a woman ( about 30 years old on memory) driving pulled over and got out of the car and when she was a safe distance turned and watched the car burn to a shell. By the to time the fire brigade got there it was all over.
So ever since this day, I have tied the stern of every boat I have had and towed.

Scotty

Alitis007
3rd April 2013, 11:36 PM
Thats like a real life Final destination movie mate!!

Alitis007
3rd April 2013, 11:44 PM
No heads up or warnings anymore , I'm a rep so on the road all day , 14 years with no fines picked up 2 before Xmas 3 points $325 each both at the bottom of hills , find I spend more time watching the speedo than the road these days , but what gets on my goat is for 1 of them the car beside me was on the phone and drinking a coffee and I get done for 10 k over in a 4 lane road

Gaddy

I'm not sure how you have spoken to the copers but some times if they are half decent they will give you a warning unless they have a quota to fill. If the coper that booked you was a boatie he would have given you a warning coz they have a better understanding but it looks like you've had a bad run mate

gaddy
3rd April 2013, 11:46 PM
Paints a all to clear picture . Most of my mates all tow boats regularly and only those with small Tinnies used a strap as a result of this there will be a shortage of tie downs in Capalaba this week , look out BCF. Order up LOL

Gaddy

gaddy
3rd April 2013, 11:48 PM
Always polite at the end of the day I was in the wrong and you can't argue with that

Nmcswan
7th April 2013, 08:41 AM
I've never heard of that.
I didn't realize it was a law to strap down the rear.
I have always done it, though only to stop the rear of my boat from jumping around if I hit rough roads etc.

Yabb
10th April 2013, 10:42 PM
Bugger about the fine but the rear should always be tied down not only for safety but to protect the boat from possible damage with it jumping around on the trailer.
Here in SA quite a few guys have been fined for not having rated shackles and safety chains between the vehicle and the trailer.

NP99
11th April 2013, 04:30 AM
Bugger about the fine but the rear should always be tied down not only for safety but to protect the boat from possible damage with it jumping around on the trailer.
Here in SA quite a few guys have been fined for not having rated shackles and safety chains between the vehicle and the trailer.

A run away boat would not be much fun!

gaddy
12th May 2013, 09:09 PM
This would have avoided my fine , no trailer and boat still garaged !

Steve

NissanGQ4.2
7th November 2013, 06:59 PM
Also trying to keep mentioning this as often which possible until power turns become a thing of the past.While your skier falls,there is nothing need to floor the gas and rip out a big turn.

Ummmmm I'm lost, can someone translate this for me.........must be the beers again!

jack
7th November 2013, 08:58 PM
Just read his other posts, I think spammer.............

NissanGQ4.2
7th November 2013, 09:25 PM
Just read his other posts, I think spammer.............

I think you may be right also considering his location has US and his IP addy puts him in Pakistan , I checked his posts out before I posted. Will give it a few days 2 see what happens before banning and removing his post

my third 256
8th November 2013, 08:53 AM
also dont forget that orange flag on the prop of the motor
i use the bunnings one thanks bunnings for donating it

threedogs
8th November 2013, 10:53 AM
Regardless of law I think if I owned a boat I would one either throw a Rachett strap over the stern to hold it down .
Or get some rated chain for the rear made up for me , stainless chain would not be my choice as not rated as far as I know,
it just looks pretty,,,,,,, What rating is applied for the rear tie downs, that would mean any lug protruding from the hull would need to
be rated, No point putting rated gear onto none rate fitting, ,,, What size rachett strap too as boats are very heavy, again point on trailer would need to
be rated or its all just nonsense, think its a donation to the xmas party IMO

Oldmate1
11th November 2013, 04:42 PM
Hi Gaddy
i have been told by the fisheries that you also need a cargo net on you boat now and cant have rods in the rod holders while on the road as things can bounce out

Ron

gaddy
11th November 2013, 06:29 PM
Hi Gaddy
i have been told by the fisheries that you also need a cargo net on you boat now and cant have rods in the rod holders while on the road as things can bounce out

Ron

Yeah I'd never travel with rods in the holders anyway ; and a mate was talking to the water police and apparently the net rule starts on the 1st of december .already doing it , ss for fisheries they sre a total waste of time , we got pulled up the other month comeing home from a pro trip , had a bit over 100 kg of snapper they spent a hour or so with us measured evey fish and all was good , we pointed out 3 black market boats that we knew had illegal fish on board ., and not licened comerical fishers , could not have given a rats a$$
And for those that dont know a fish will shrink by 5 mm once on ice for more than a couple of hours .
Also the sure catch crab measures are measureing under size fisheries use calapers

fxst78
2nd December 2013, 07:30 PM
Is all this as a result of an actual documented issue or is it purely revenue raising?
I am in Canberra now but just left Townsville and no-one was getting pulled over for insecure loads!