PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas for tray sides. Show me what you have done.

surrender
1st April 2013, 11:23 PM
Gday everyone, looking for some fresh ideas from other people as I haven't come to a decision on what to do with my tray yet.

Basically what I wanna do is build (or have built) some removable tray sides for the back of my truck, not sure what to make them out of, how to fasten them etc. Any ideas, pictures of your trays etc are most welcome, I'm just in need of some inspiration.

Here's a current picture:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/fitseries2/IMG_1137_zpsbbfd5723.jpg

Hit me with some ideas.

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2013, 11:26 PM
To be honest mate i would look at selling all your bar work as it stands. I think you will struggle to get Engineered like it is and it looks sweet!

i Reckon you might get good coin for the EXO Cage and the Comp Tray for sure. Nice tray. But if you looking to make something for touring and put sides on that then its probably way to nice to do that too. Would be easier to cash out that and buy another tray of someone and cut it up to suit your needs.

Hope that helps? Not sure it did though. just my opinion bloke

cheers MR

healy
1st April 2013, 11:33 PM
I agree with daz mate on the tray. That is one mean looking rig I wouldn't be altering that set up

NP99
1st April 2013, 11:37 PM
Mate, for what purpose?

surrender
1st April 2013, 11:43 PM
Yeah I see where you are coming from fellas but I'm already very fond of the barwork and engineers is already lined up so should be legal soon. This is how the truck is most of the time, I will be designing a frame and canvas canopy that simply bolts on and off, that will be for the touring duties and will carry all my equipment and the dog too. Was just looking for a temporary solution for when I use it just to run errands and pick things up. None of the existing work is gonna get butchered at all, the worst that will happen is maybe a few holes in the tray floor for the canopy/sides to fasten to.

I have had quite a few people say the same thing as you two, but the truck is still used properly in the bush, a long alloy tray would not suit me at all. My ultimate goal is to build something that can handle the real rough stuff but still do some touring duties. I would eventually like to be able to drive around Oz and all the tracks on the way. I'm sure I will come up with something.

megatexture
2nd April 2013, 12:14 AM
Get a custom alloy box/canopy made up that you can bolt down and has a large door at the back for access .the bar down the sides will make it more difficult to work something out

threedogs
2nd April 2013, 08:18 AM
The only way I can see it working is if,,,,,
You make those braces from top of roll bar to the deck removable.
Those tie off rails you can radius down and weld onto deck.
Maybe look at a product called "ROPS" that way you could probably
bolt a pod straight on. ROPS is for roll over protection system,
IMO easy as still safe as ROPS will pass engineering,

You also need some air activated lights for top of your roll bar too.
Thats my 2cW
Nice job BTW

Maxhead
2nd April 2013, 08:26 AM
You also need some air activated lights for top of your roll bar too.

Is this one of your products TD? Pics please as I've never heard of these;)

threedogs
2nd April 2013, 08:36 AM
You go by 4" or 6" air piston rods like bonnet struts but air.
compressor with a oneway valve some 6mm push fittings for
teflon hose . set it up on a bench weld on tabs for air off/air on to stop lights flipping over.
I'll put pics up of air manifolds, filters ,fittings and hose later.
And no not a product of mine, CCMDA require this on all comp trucks I think

Just reading his intro its on his to do list