PDA

View Full Version : Sd33 to sd33t

Ferret
1st April 2013, 04:33 PM
Hey guys just gonna be changing motors from standard to factory turbo one just wonder if the change over is going to be easy ECT is the wiring loom going to be the same such as all the other bullshit involved or is it a pretty much straight swap ? Any ideas and information will help alot thanks

MQ MAD
4th April 2013, 09:59 PM
MK SD33 n/a to Sd33 T ,failrly easy,needs bugger all to do
MQ 24 V to SD33T 12 V , bit more stuffin around

Bit more info what you have

sickshorty
1st January 2014, 05:48 PM
Hi guys sorry to dig up an old post but, im doing the same thing, swapping an sd33 na to a factory sd33t. Are the looms the same? Is anything else needed for the conversion?

james008
2nd January 2014, 12:34 AM
Hi guys sorry to dig up an old post but, im doing the same thing, swapping an sd33 na to a factory sd33t. Are the looms the same? Is anything else needed for the conversion?

If your NA is in an MK then it will be a simple swap, but if your swapping into an MQ the wiring loom is different.
The MQ wiring plugs are rounded, MK are more square, and I can't exactly recall, but i think there may have been a couple of small changes as well, but nothing in the engine bay to my knowledge.

sickshorty
2nd January 2014, 10:50 AM
Ive got a parts car with a sd33t in it. Its an 84 mk wagon 12 volt with a 5 speed. My patrol is an 84 mk shorty with a sd33 na also 12 volt and also 5 speed. I want to keep the shortys gearbox in it and put the sd33t out of the donor car.

james008
3rd January 2014, 04:11 AM
Since your car is an MK it should be a very easy conversion then.
You will need to change the thrust bearing and carrier though, due to the turbo and NA motors running different clutches.

sickshorty
4th January 2014, 12:24 PM
Otherwise the 5 speed gearbox/bell housing and diff are the same?

james008
4th January 2014, 05:13 PM
N/A gearboxes also had a lower first gear than turbo boxes, but N/A gearboxes are sought after because of this. A bit better for low speed off road.
N/A's also had 4.6 diff ratios, turbo's had 4.3... Up to you which ones you prefer, personally I like 4.3's because of the lower revs at highway speeds and they're still fine for the offroading I do.
Other than that they are the same as far as I know.