PDA

View Full Version : A question from newbie - how big is stock Y61 axle diameter?

lurker
31st March 2013, 12:26 AM
And do they differ from GU/GR versions? I would appreciate answers a lot!

MudRunnerTD
31st March 2013, 12:45 AM
Axle diameter is identical across the GQ - GU range. They are the same. Different lengths but the same diameter.

Please head over to the intro section and say hi before asking more questions thanks mate.

Cheers MR

lurker
31st March 2013, 02:37 AM
Done! Sorry, forgot to introduce first, my mistake.
Thanks for the info. But maybe you happen to know the diameter?

Ben-e-boy
31st March 2013, 03:02 AM
Not sure of the exact measurement but the rear is 33 spline and the front is 31 spline

lurker
1st April 2013, 03:49 AM
Thanks, it is at least some sort of heard start.

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2013, 09:59 AM
What exactly do you want to know mate? And why?

I have a front and rear axle for both a GQ and a GU here right now. The front for the GU/GQ use the same inner axle seal. The back of the GQ/GU use the same inner axle seal which is different from the front.

All models and all engine variants.

lurker
3rd April 2013, 02:20 AM
Well i want to calculate how strong is the axle(how much torque it can handle)..and for that i need an axle diameter(and material from what it is built).

Parksy
5th April 2013, 04:45 PM
I've just ordered a new axle seal for the rear diff on the gq. Measured the inside diameter at around 40mm on the seal. Actual axle would be similar.

lurker
10th April 2013, 07:07 AM
So it's axle inside diameter or the housing of the axle diameter? Sorry if i didn't understood properly.

Parksy
10th April 2013, 10:10 AM
The axle diameter, the long rod that transfers torque to the wheels has an outside diameter of 40mm. Pretty sure they are solid. If you are referring to the actual axle housing, then I don't know.

lurker
10th April 2013, 05:01 PM
Yeah i'm referring to the axle, because i'm reading a manual and i saw that axle has it's own housing, so i thought i'll ask to clear a little bit. Thanks for answer.

1MadEngineer
11th April 2013, 01:04 PM
from memory there are 5 different axle combinations and each of those have different diameters or steps along the shaft. 33/34 and 37 spline are all available (have even heard of 31 spline rears OS). The material you will have to work out for yourself as from what I have been led to believe they use 2 different grades with different hardening. I wish it was easy like 1050, but they are propriety made. Then take into account that some have the outer skin skimmed for balancing which can affect the hardening depth.

HTH