PDA

View Full Version : Pedders vs Iron man vs Emu

Gypsy_Pete
26th March 2013, 09:58 PM
Hi my Patrol GU 7 wagon is used for towing a caravan most of it's time on the road. The front suspension now sits 30mm lower than standard and the rear sits 40mm lower than standard. Front and rear shocks are all soft.

Given that I do not need a lift kit for wheel clearance and 90% of our driving is on what pretends to be bitumen roads in Australia, I'm hoping to just return the Patrol to standard height with slightly stronger springs and much better shocks. Ride comfort without the caravan is paramount since my wife and I both have bad backs. We can't be getting tossed around.

So far, I have identified three options. Pedders make stronger but standard height springes and can supply foam shocks. I've read on this forum that Old Man Emu have standard height springs as well. Then there is Iron Man's 50mm lift, non-constant load springs, again with foam shocks. If I go Iron Man's springs though, the car would sit 50mm + 40mm = 90mm higher than it does now. I don't know if I could get used to that.

So, of those three paths, can I have some feedback from members with regard to the pros/cons from their experience?

MudRunnerTD
26th March 2013, 10:06 PM
you are comparing a Niva Lada (steel man) with a HSV Grande ( Old Man Emu) and Pedders Ridepro are OK for what you want to do with it.

For my money it would be Old Man Emu standard height springs and Polyair airbags in the back for towing. Best of both worlds.

pearcey
26th March 2013, 10:45 PM
Talk to King Springs I think they do variable rate springs which give you a soft ride when empty and stiffen when loaded.. shockers I run Monroe 4x4 with no problems

happygu
26th March 2013, 10:58 PM
Pete, the shocks won't give you any extra lift.....

It is only the springs that will give you lift, and you can choose from a range of aftermarket springs in standard or 2" lift heights.

I will let you know my bias towards Kings Springs and Koni Shocks from the front, as I think they are the best compromise, but out of the ones you have picked, I would put them in the following order from favorite to least favorite....Old Man Emu, Iron Man, Pedders.

I haven't asked, but I am sure you can get Old Man Emu springs in standard height if you want them, but a nice 2" lift gives you a little bit more body clearance if you decide to go offroad at all.

Mic

happygu
26th March 2013, 11:01 PM
Also go the variable rate springs as mentioned ( Often called Progressive Rate Springs ). I had them previously, and they were great for comfort.

The way the shocks are set will alter the comfort of the ride too. I would look for adjustable Shocks such as the Koni's, as they can dial them in to give you a more compliant ride.

Mic

jack
27th March 2013, 12:44 AM
Pete, I'm running Kings springs and Koni shocks and very happy with them. Have a chat to Dale at Tru Line in Latrobe St. He's full of useful advice and independent, tell him what you're after and he can advise.

NP99
27th March 2013, 02:08 AM
Google Pedders first!

cgm
27th March 2013, 02:39 AM
Pete, I'm running Kings springs and Koni shocks and very happy with them. Have a chat to Dale at Tru Line in Latrobe St. He's full of useful advice and independent, tell him what you're after and he can advise.

If you're anywhere near Ballarat, another vote for Dale from me. He set up my Rodeo last time. Went with Koni shocks. Very happy with them and the service.

tapatalk on galaxy note

Gypsy_Pete
28th March 2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks to your advice, this morning, I have been down to ARB and Tru-Line. Dale (Tru-Line) checked out the Patrol and deemed the shockers to be the big problem. They were way too soft.

He has recommended a set of Koni shocks but did not see the need to replace the original Nissan springs because he thought the ride height looked normal. He suggests that I fit a set of Firestone air bag inserts to boost the rear whenever we have the caravan attached. That way, we can maintain a softer ride when touring without the load.

Of all the solutions, Dale's solution sounded the most practical so I think that's the way I'll go.

I guess I'm also impressed by someone who could have sold me more gear but chose not to offer anything I really didn't need.

Thanks again for all your help.

jack
28th March 2013, 05:33 PM
Of all the solutions, Dale's solution sounded the most practical so I think that's the way I'll go.

I guess I'm also impressed by someone who could have sold me more gear but chose not to offer anything I really didn't need.

Good to hear mate, and I'm not affiliated in any way with Dale. Just found him to be helpfull and honest.

Gypsy_Pete
13th April 2013, 10:59 PM
The new Koni shockers were fitted front & rear yesterday. The difference was apparent immediately. Now the Patrol feels as though the suspension is firmly attached to the chassis instead of bouncing at each bump. The missus is really impressed. Had the Firestone airbags fitted too just to allow the rear suspension to cope when the van is attached. Dale did a wheel alignment and found the front near side to be 4mm out. So now it tracks true. Its just like a new car.

Thanks Appollofish and others for your advice.

jack
13th April 2013, 11:13 PM
Good to hear, enjoy the ride.

MEGOMONSTER
13th April 2013, 11:19 PM
Great to hear, I'm thinking going with Koni's eventually.

cgm
14th April 2013, 05:36 AM
Thanks for closing the loop. Nice to get the positive feedback.

tapatalk on galaxy note