PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Coast camping spot

NP99
26th March 2013, 12:07 AM
On the Obi Obi rd heading from Mapleton down toward Kenilworth on the right hand side. Right on the obi obi river free camping, about halfway to both towns. No facilities but its free.

Squalo
27th March 2013, 01:38 AM
I always see people camping there, but I'm sure there's a 'No Camping' sign... will have to double-check next time I pass through the valley. It is a nice spot for sure. It's just past the Obi Obi hall (recently restored) when you are heading west.

You can also camp in the showgrounds at Kenilworth, not sure if that is free though. And if you have kids, the children's play park in Kenilworth (opposite the cheese factory) is about the best park I've ever seen, lovely and green, lots of shade and tables and bbqs, and more cool kids play equipment than you can shake a stick at.

NP99
27th March 2013, 02:12 AM
I always see people camping there, but I'm sure there's a 'No Camping' sign... will have to double-check next time I pass through the valley. It is a nice spot for sure. It's just past the Obi Obi hall (recently restored) when you are heading west.

You can also camp in the showgrounds at Kenilworth, not sure if that is free though. And if you have kids, the children's play park in Kenilworth (opposite the cheese factory) is about the best park I've ever seen, lovely and green, lots of shade and tables and bbqs, and more cool kids play equipment than you can shake a stick at.

Never used to be no camping, maybe changed. Show ground is good but costs.

Squalo
27th March 2013, 04:38 AM
OK found something on it while looking into something else :) From the hall hire web page:

CAMPING

Camping at Obi Obi number 2 creek crossing, 48 hr camping allowed, toilets only.

http://kidobi.wordpress.com/obi-obi-hall-hire/

So looks like what I saw on the sign was not exact... I had to wonder as I only drove by it yesterday on the way home from a weekend at LMCP, but I guess that explains it - I will look a bit more closely next time I'm up there though. But as said, great spot to prop, suppose you'd just need a Plan B as it's not a big area. I'll report on that too, will try to give a rough estimate of the site capacity.

Dominator
27th March 2013, 07:36 AM
I might have to go check this out. Looks pretty good and it is on the creek. I have got a hot shower in the patrol so I don't need amenities.

NP99
27th March 2013, 10:00 AM
The toilets are across the road near the farm road entrance. I used to dump fire wood on the camping spot as my property is only a few km up the road. Most campers are good, some are grubs. There was an old fella that passed away who had a house in a pretty bad state, campers started pulling wood from his house for fire wood!

Dominator
27th March 2013, 10:27 AM
So I assume you can have fires there then. Do you know if dogs are allowd?

NP99
27th March 2013, 10:35 AM
So I assume you can have fires there then. Do you know if dogs are allowd?

Yes mate, it's just a big paddock next to the creek. At times it is crowded, first in best dressed sort of thing. Fires, dogs, beer it's all self regulated. There is a council rubbish bin near the road and council mows the paddock on a regular basis. Kids jump off the bridge into the creek, so cars need to be on the look out.

NP99
28th March 2013, 01:22 AM
Plus no mobile phone reception - that's. good thing!

NP99
8th September 2013, 11:17 PM
Noticed recently that a rural fence has one up blocking a fair bit off :(