PDA

View Full Version : Replacing GQ Rear Sliding Window Frames

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 02:07 PM
Howdy

how hard is it to swap these yourself? Mine are somewhat dated, and happy to get some new frames, but have never swapped them on any car before, so before I launch into it with my trusty hammer, just wanted to know of any pitfalls.

Thanks a million in advance.

Woof
12th December 2010, 03:46 PM
Scotty, I've got no idea but when you launch into it with a hammer and then work out how to do it can you let the rest of us know matehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/
PS photos mate, don't forget the photos....lololol

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 03:48 PM
Scotty, I've got no idea but when you launch into it with a hammer and then work out how to do it can you let the rest of us know matehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/
PS photos mate, don't forget the photos....lololol

Well, its sorted then ... hammer out, frames on order, and let's just see what comes of it!!!! Oh ... and you'll have photos my furry little friend ... I'm not ashamed of my cock ups!!! lololol ...

NissanGQ4.2
12th December 2010, 04:08 PM
if you cock up, just cut the back off and turn it into a 4 door + tray. Then pretend thats what you meant 2 do in the first place *L*

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 04:09 PM
if you cock up, just cut the back off and turn it into a 4 door + tray. Then pretend thats what you meant 2 do in the first place *L*

but the toolbox will get wet!! I didn't weather proof the b@stard!!! lololol ...

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 04:12 PM
But seriously though ... anyone got any tips/tricks to assist? I'm hurting here people!!! lolol ..

Woof
12th December 2010, 04:59 PM
This is all that I could find here mate: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1462-rear-side-window-rubbers

YNOT
12th December 2010, 05:06 PM
I've never done it myself but it looks like you just start by pushing on one corner of the window from the inside while releasing the "U" shaped rubber surround from the body if that makes sense. Work your way around but have someone on the outside to catch the window.

To fit the new window, put a length of about 4mm diameter rope in the "U" of the rubber surround, wrap it right around so both ends finish is the same corner. Put the window up in position on the outside and starting from the corner where the ends are, start pulling one end of the rope to pull the rubber to the inside of the frame (body). Work slowly and keep pressure on the window from the outside.

I've never done it myself but I've seen it done.

Tony

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks mate - trying to get some information on the process of removal and the proper sealant etc to use when putting back in ... happy to do it, just want to make sure I do it good and proper like!! No doubt there will be the usual concealed rust spots behind them, so will hit those whilst I have the frames out also ...

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 05:09 PM
I've never done it myself but it looks like you just start by pushing on one corner of the window from the inside while releasing the "U" shaped rubber surround from the body if that makes sense. Work your way around but have someone on the outside to catch the window.

To fit the new window, put a length of about 4mm diameter rope in the "U" of the rubber surround, wrap it right around so both ends finish is the same corner. Put the window up in position on the outside and starting from the corner where the ends are, start pulling one end of the rope to pull the rubber to the inside of the frame (body). Work slowly and keep pressure on the window from the outside.

I've never done it myself but I've seen it done.

Tony

Thanks mate - I'm going to give it a go ... will order the frames this week, and let's see what damage I can do!!! lol

Woof
12th December 2010, 05:32 PM
Found this site: http://www.patrolapart.com.au/gq_patrol_09_88-9_97_specific_items.html

YNOT
12th December 2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks mate - trying to get some information on the process of removal and the proper sealant etc to use when putting back in ... happy to do it, just want to make sure I do it good and proper like!! No doubt there will be the usual concealed rust spots behind them, so will hit those whilst I have the frames out also ...

The rear quarter windows are not bonded on, just held in by the rubber. Some people may use sealant as well.

Tony

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 06:05 PM
Found this site: http://www.patrolapart.com.au/gq_patrol_09_88-9_97_specific_items.html

Thanks mate - that's where I'm getting them from - have dealt with Dayel and Adam there previously.

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 06:05 PM
The rear quarter windows are not bonded on, just held in by the rubber. Some people may use sealant as well.

Tony

May as well I figure - couldn't hurt is what I am thinking ... unless it makes the job more painful than it needs to be ... in which case, out comes the hammer again!!!! lolol ...

Bigcol
3rd January 2011, 10:35 PM
hey BigRig, how did you go with this???????
I've only just seen you question, as I did mine a few months ago

I couldn't be ar$ed with the rope / string on the inside of the rubber , so I just used a heap of dish washing liquid and a small screwdriver....... and plenty of time.... about 20mins per side I think it was
just eased the lip over the metal with the screwwy, gently, and as I said, LOTS of dish washing liquid to lube the whole thing

cheers

MudRunnerTD
4th January 2011, 11:34 PM
hey BigRig, how did you go with this???????
I've only just seen you question, as I did mine a few months ago

I couldn't be ar$ed with the rope / string on the inside of the rubber , so I just used a heap of dish washing liquid and a small screwdriver....... and plenty of time.... about 20mins per side I think it was
just eased the lip over the metal with the screwwy, gently, and as I said, LOTS of dish washing liquid to lube the whole thing

cheers

Yep X2.

It is not that bad a job mate, did you buy new rubbers too?

Should have seen me trying to put mine back in the GQ after the paint with old rubber. had to be very very gentle but went OK.

Getting the old ones out is frighteningly easy!! Jump inside and lever some of the rubber over the seal and then just start pushing it out mate. you will have each frame out in under 3 minutes a side mate!!

If you really needed to you could push that frame through from the outside if you ever locked the keys in and desperately needed to get back in. Dont tell anyone though ;-)

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 02:15 PM
Haven't done this as yet, as I haven't bought the rubbers and frames - but will happen in the coming weeks no doubt that I am back from hols ... stay tuned and hopefully I won't need need sliding glass also (i.e. I don't drop the b@stards !!!!) lol ...

mackayboi
19th January 2011, 03:02 PM
I was probably silly to buy two genuine window brackets when my old brackets were so badly rusted...
It cost me over 500 AUS dollars!

The taking out the old frames were very easy, as it was so rusted that they crumbled out.....
The new frames were not as easy as one likes a job to be. I used a flat head screwdriver to painstakingly slide the seal over the metal trimming...

I reused the glass windows BTW...

twinotter600
3rd February 2012, 01:25 PM
I used soapy water and the new ones slipped right in.