PDA

View Full Version : TB42 Rocker Assembly help needed.

ripper
12th December 2010, 01:55 PM
Can anyone help?
It sounded like we had a loose tappet so I took the cover off to adjust them.
All went well until the last rocker, it looks like there's a part missing on the shaft.
The rocker can slop back and forth on the shaft about 3.5mm, as if there's a wavy washer or a spring missing.
Looked at the workshop manual but it doesn't show anything. Anyone know what I need to fix it?
Thanks.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/ripperdeals/GQ/Looserocker.jpg

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 01:59 PM
Tony, Tim, anyone???? This sounds like a question for blokes who know what they're talking about ...

ripper
12th December 2010, 02:43 PM
I was really pleased to see I got a reply so quickly. Just a pity it doesn't help me much :smile:

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 02:56 PM
I was really pleased to see I got a reply so quickly. Just a pity it doesn't help me much :smile:

Sorry china, I'm only on here for my good looks and witty humour!!! lolol ... a fair few of the others will be able to help no doubt though, wealth of knowledge amongst some of the lads on here ...

the ferret
12th December 2010, 04:53 PM
Check the width of the rest of the rocker arms, maybe someone has mixed them up, I know that on the sd33 they all look the same but they are not, maybe there is a wider one that should be there, and the spring is taking up the difference on the wrong one, if you get my drift!! That is probably why nothing is shown in any manual as a shim or spacer.
Check also that the rocker is central over the valve at the tappet side and the pushrod is vertical.

YNOT
12th December 2010, 05:38 PM
Sorry to be a bit slow responding, I've been down in the shed.

My manual shows 2 washers between the rocker and the 2 bolt pedestal, at least one of the washers is a wave washer.

Tony

ripper
12th December 2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys. Now I just have to find some. Anyone here got a collection of blown up ones?
Failing that, we've got a good engine reconditioner close, I can ask them.
Tony which manual are you using? I've got a factory one but maybe I missed the page which shows the washers.

YNOT
12th December 2010, 06:38 PM
I'm looking at a Gregorys manual.
It's also shown in the factory manual on page EM-23

Tony

ripper
12th December 2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks Tony, I see it now, though it's a bit blurry, that's probably why I missed it.

nassin
19th December 2010, 07:20 PM
yes mate wavey washer missing for sure.

Benno7
19th December 2010, 08:37 PM
hey dude i have those 2 washers pm me your address and ill post them to you if you want

ripper
20th December 2010, 03:10 AM
That's great, thanks Benno, PM sent.

ripper
6th January 2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks again Benno, they're in and working well.
Had some fun with a broken rocker shaft bolt, but all good now.