PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Power Steering box

Skids13
24th March 2013, 08:30 PM
Hey has anyone ever replaced the seals in the power steering box on a MK L28? Mine is leaking, would it be an easy job?

NP99
24th March 2013, 11:18 PM
Mate, short term I'd try the cheaper option of a no leak product.

MQ MAD
25th March 2013, 10:27 AM
Hey has anyone ever replaced the seals in the power steering box on a MK L28? Mine is leaking, would it be an easy job?
Havent as yet, have too soon tho, but im leaning towards a good 2nd hand unit for about $50 .....
Bolt on bleed, and away we go ...........

Skids13
26th March 2013, 09:31 PM
Have tried a no leak product to no avail, it leaks pretty bad even when not driven, can get a seal kit off eBay for $130 the question was, is it hard to to change the seals??? Can't be that hard! Either that or find a secondhand 1 and end up with the same problem down the track!

alltorque
7th October 2014, 01:32 AM
Have similar issues myself on the mk l28, did you end up going the gasket kit or the 2nd hand unit? I'm leaning towards replacing the whole unit, i think?

alltorque
7th October 2014, 11:22 PM
Have you done a pressure test, first degrease and clean the power steering unit and everything around it. Turn on engine 'go hard' oppisite lock and grind the shit out of it, left and right a couple times. Have a real good look you should be able to pin point the leak, might just be a hose (one high pressure and one low pressure return). Don't forget to check the pulley. I've heard they can leak. And it turns out my power steering unit is mint' witch may not be a good thing,

troyhaima
12th October 2014, 07:59 AM
just recently did mine and found the seal was distroyed because the bearing was falling apart. very easy to do if you have the tools. ony cost me $25 to buy seal and bearing