PDA

View Full Version : MK Fuel Solenoid and Relay problem

Skids13
23rd March 2013, 02:16 PM
Hi my names Greg, I've just removed a lpg system from my L28 Mk Lwb coz it runs better on petrol, after removing the Gas to fuel switch inside the car and the wiring for the lpg, I'm left with a wire that's running through the firewall to the solenoid on the fuel line under the bonnet, so the solenoid isn't getting power to open and close to allow fuel to the carby, I've tried plugging into the relay near the steering column (under bonnet) with no luck! Any idea where this wire should go? Any help would b much appreciated!!

Yendor
23rd March 2013, 03:46 PM
You would be better off removing the fuel cut off solenoid from the fuel line.

If you do want to leave it in place the solenoid just needs a good ignition feed to switch on. Just mount a relay and wire to switch on with ignition.

With a hidden switch this would also make for a good engine immobiliser.

Skids13
23rd March 2013, 04:38 PM
Thanx for the idea yendor! Do I even need the solenoid? I hav just bypassed the solenoid and running fuel straight from the pump to the carby, she will start and run, but blowing very thick black smoke and smells very rich, I think the weber carby that's on it might be shagged, adjusting the fuel and air mixture screws doesn't seem to make a difference, at least it'll start now! :)

Skids13
23rd March 2013, 04:41 PM
Thanx for the idea yendor! Do I even need the solenoid? I hav just bypassed the solenoid and running fuel straight from the pump to the carby, she will start and run, but blowing very thick black smoke and smells very rich, I think the weber carby that's on it might be shagged, adjusting the fuel and air mixture screws doesn't seem to make a difference, at least it'll start now! :)

Carburettor is off an XF falcon which is a 4.1 litre engine, would this carby pump more fuel than need for a L28 maybe?

Yendor
23rd March 2013, 06:04 PM
The fuel cut of solenoid is only there to stop fuel from getting to the carby when running on LPG.

You don't need it when not running LPG. Best to bypass it.

Sorry, I have no idea about carbys, hopefully someone else can help you with that question. Do you know what jets the carby is running?.

Skids13
23rd March 2013, 11:00 PM
Cheers heaps mate!

Skids13
23rd March 2013, 11:04 PM
No I don't know what size jets are in it, I was thinking maybe putting smaller jets in it, need to give it a rebuild kit I think! Will get there eventually haha trying to get in rdworthy condition

MQ MAD
24th March 2013, 06:14 PM
Being a ford carb on the L28 ,it isn't a common conversion so not many have info on them .....
If the engine is up to it,throw it on a dyno and get it properly tuned,rather than guess
But we warned these aren't cheap to run,never have been

Skids13
24th March 2013, 07:26 PM
Do u mean fuel wise MQ Mad? Or mechanical?

MQ MAD
25th March 2013, 09:25 AM
Do u mean fuel wise MQ Mad? Or mechanical?

Mechanically good robust engines, but they love the juice .............
Some have got good economy from them, but not often

Skids13
26th March 2013, 08:34 PM
With a weber carby on it, it's feeding way too much juice!