PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system Upgrade

BradWill
22nd March 2013, 11:57 PM
Just looking for your thoughts on Radiator upgrade - I have an "06 4.2 td and considering everything hanging in front of the original radiator _ Bull bar , spotties , winch, number plate am wondering if more can be done to ensure a save , uneventful crossing of the Simpson desert. Have only had this ute 6 months so I am definately pulling the original out for a clean at least, but may look at larger radiator if available in this model and am considering removing the viscus hub fan for thermoelectric fan/s.
An advice or your thoughts welcome
Cheers

macca86
23rd March 2013, 12:24 AM
The bigger the better keep away from alloy.also getting your td42 tuned and pump tweaked will keep temps down plus give you heaps more power

nissannewby
23rd March 2013, 12:59 AM
The standard one will be fine with a standard turbo and intercooler setup. As for the fans stick with the engine driven fan these far out flow an electric one.

Ill add to Macca86, keep away from cheap alloy units. A high quality unit (which you will pay for) are heavy duty high quality items, if not a fan of the alloy a heavy duty copper/brass unit is the go.

BradWill
23rd March 2013, 01:00 AM
Is that alloy radiator ?Have had pump tweeked but not tuned,

nissannewby
23rd March 2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah radiator.

Get it tuned so the fueling can be set accordingly, this will ensure egts are kept at a safe level. If you know someone who can tune it for you then you will save some coin.

BradWill
23rd March 2013, 01:04 AM
Thanks Nissannewby will keep this in mind, Where does one go for a larger good quality radiator

BradWill
23rd March 2013, 01:06 AM
I was quoted up around a grand for tuning so havn't gone ahead with that part.

nissannewby
23rd March 2013, 01:07 AM
ADRAD is highly recommended. I have a build thread on my 04 GU in the members ride section. I have a heavy duty alloy radiator fitted to mine, it has 35% more capacity than the standard unit and there are comparison pics in there so you can see the difference.

I had to go to a larger one due to towing 2.5T + and also the want to push about 25psi through it. ( at 23psi at the moment.)

nissannewby
23rd March 2013, 01:08 AM
I was quoted up around a grand for tuning so havn't gone ahead with that part.

If I remember correctly your in QLD yeah? Have you got any gauges?

BradWill
23rd March 2013, 01:44 AM
Yep in Brissy - and no gauges but understand if going to increase turbo will need to get some gauges. I think the 3" exhaust that is fitted may already have a port !