PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Button and Light in GQ.

ripper
11th December 2010, 03:44 PM
Newbie questions here.

There's a button in the middle of our centre console and I can't see what it's for. Anyone know?
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/ripperdeals/GQ/resizedButtoninconsole.jpg

And there's a warning label near the gear sticks about a light. I've tried to get the light to come on, but I'm not sure where it is. Is it right near that warning label, or somewhere else?
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/ripperdeals/GQ/resizedATPLight.jpg

Thanks guys.

NissanGQ4.2
11th December 2010, 03:51 PM
Not sure what the button is in the first pic, I would assume it is something that has been put in by a previous owner.

And as for the ATP light as far as i know basically just means the transfer box is in neutral and if the transmission is put into park it won't hold the vehicle, just a warning light to remind you. I think the "ATP" will light up

I'm sure one of the other more brighter members will correct me :)

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 12:40 AM
Not sure what the button is in the first pic, I would assume it is something that has been put in by a previous owner.

And as for the ATP light as far as i know basically just means the transfer box is in neutral and if the transmission is put into park it won't hold the vehicle, just a warning light to remind you. I think the "ATP" will light up

I'm sure one of the other more brighter members will correct me :)

That's my understanding of the ATP - it definitely lights up under the conditons Todd mentions above, so if yours doesn't, get the switch on the transfer case checked/replaced - I had to do mine. Same goes for the other button though, haven't got a clue, and it certainly doesn't look stock (i.e. something aftermarket someone had in before you owned it and they ripped it out, or it's just not working???). Dumb question potentially as I haven't scanned through the members ride threads to see if you have displayed your vehicle, but is your patrol an aussie spec vehicle, or is it a Safari or something (import)? If the latter, it could be manufacturer installed, but as to what it would be, I have no idea .. sorry mate.

ripper
12th December 2010, 02:49 PM
Ok, thanks for that. After I get our tappet issue sorted I'll have more of a look at the ATP light. Overall the truck seems great, just a few teething problems. Ours is an aussie spec.

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 03:01 PM
Ok, thanks for that. After I get our tappet issue sorted I'll have more of a look at the ATP light. Overall the truck seems great, just a few teething problems. Ours is an aussie spec.

In that case, I'd say it's something after market that was put into it - did it have a chiller box installed in the centre console at some point?? (could be the button to turn it on/off); Spotlight switch (odd spot, but who knows) ... as you can no doubt tell, I'm simply guessing ... story of my life!! lolol ...

ripper
12th December 2010, 03:22 PM
When I saw it I hoped it was a chiller box, but now I have no idea. The electricals have had a few mods, mostly not very good ones. There's a toggle switch that I assume is for the spot lights which don't work. The switch in the photo is really neatly done, that's why I thought it was factory one.

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 03:47 PM
It does look neat - but after market can look more trick than OE sometimes ... the chiller box is the one I think most likely, but again, I'm an idiot so there is no way you should be throwing your next pay packet on that bet!! lol

MudRunnerTD
12th December 2010, 07:08 PM
Take the centre console out mate and flit it over and have a look. Really easy to do and there are a total of 4 bolts holding it in. 2 under the carpet at the front and 2 in the bottom of the console proper. See what is hooked up if anything? check if there is a circuit there.

Does not look factory.

Is it a click on and off switch or a Momentary switch?

ripper
12th December 2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I'll have to pull the console out. Wouldn't have bothered asking except that I thought it was a Nissan one.
It's a click on click off switch.

ripper
6th January 2011, 02:24 PM
Found what the button/switch does. It's a lock for the aftermarket power windows. Garbage things they are. Replacing the rear drivers side one as soon as I can get a regulator for it.

the evil twin
6th January 2011, 02:52 PM
Found what the button/switch does. It's a lock for the aftermarket power windows. Garbage things they are. Replacing the rear drivers side one as soon as I can get a regulator for it.

Good result... finding what the "mystery switch/relay/wire" or whatever that prev owners installed can be a real challenge soemtimes.

Did you check your ATP warning light yet? It's easy enough... tranny in "Park" and select "neutral" on the 4X lever IE 1/2 way between 4H and 4L and the light should come on

NissanGQ4.2
6th January 2011, 09:09 PM

strange place 2 put it, good find, so are u selling ur power window motors???

ripper
6th January 2011, 10:32 PM
Good result... finding what the "mystery switch/relay/wire" or whatever that prev owners installed can be a real challenge soemtimes.

Did you check your ATP warning light yet? It's easy enough... tranny in "Park" and select "neutral" on the 4X lever IE 1/2 way between 4H and 4L and the light should come on

I did eventually test the ATP light and it works fine. Never noticed that there's a neutral position on the transfer stick before.

strange place 2 put it, good find, so are u selling ur power window motors???

I guess because they put the window switches in the console, they figured the lock switch should be near them ???
There are only two power windows left in it, and I probably will sell the motors, but being aftermarket ones they wont suit everyone.
The rear drivers side one has broken the inner door skin where he motor is mounted, so I'm going to replace it soon.

NissanGQ4.2
6th January 2011, 10:41 PM
but being aftermarket ones they wont suit everyone.
Somebody made aftermarket motors that suited??? Have never come across them, please enlighten me with some more details

ripper
6th January 2011, 11:18 PM
I'll get some photos next time I have the door trim off.
It's not just the motors which are aftermarket, the original regulators have been chucked away and replaced.
There's a vertical channel which is roughly in the centre of the glass that has a spiral cable/flexible worm? running in it. I assume there's a gear mounted to the bottom of the glass which meshes with the cable/worm. When I pull it out I'll be able to see exactly how it works.