PDA

View Full Version : KAB411 bases in GU Patrol

commsman
20th March 2013, 05:10 PM
I might be taking something a bit big on here, but not really sure yet.

I had KAB411 bases (driver and passenger) in my GQ Patrol a number of years ago and loved them. I tried to sell the bases when I got rid of the car, but they just weren't fetching the money I wanted so I decided to hang onto them.

Now I'm about to take delivery of a 98 GU I'm wondering about dustng them off and putting them in the new ride, but from what I've been reading I can't see anyone who has managed to do this.

I know the GU seats are a one piece seat so if I can get the bases in I'll no doubt need to put new seats on top of the bases.

What I'm intersted to know though is if anyone has actually mounted KAB411 bases in a GU Patrol and how is it? Is there still good head room and what did you do for seats on top of the bases?

Thanks in advance.

Brian.

BradWill
23rd March 2013, 12:32 AM
Hi brian I am looking for a similar upgrade in my GU ute at the moment and just today spoke to the agent about the KAB411 (Seats R Us) (as I have looked at a pair for Sale) He said the bases need to be mounted sideways to get them in and was so difficult he wont do them any more. The ones I saw for sale were faceing the front but seemed to add a lot of height but did not see them fitted.
The agent could recommend the Stratos seat (very comfortable and supportive) but can only be fitted in a ute due to the suspension mechanism being mounted up the rear of the seat. Hope this helps
Cheers
Brad

threedogs
23rd March 2013, 08:39 AM
I had those bases in my last 4x4 ,I now have it as my workshop seat bit pricey back in 94 @ $1500
You'll need to make sure GU seat rails fit be suitable or if KAB sell rails to suit the GU.
I found them great on the HWY but useless off road, so I removed and fitted a saas style seat
and loved it.
Edit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mine was base and seat

commsman
29th March 2013, 02:50 PM
He said the bases need to be mounted sideways to get them in and was so difficult he wont do them any more.

Sounds messy and a bit unsightly as well. Mounting them sideways would also mean the dial guage and the lock mechanism would be dwn the side and in a tight spot. As soon as I get home and pick up the car, get settled in and find the bases I'll have a look and see what might be possible. I believe there may be a floor pan issue in the GU compared to the GQ though.

Brian.

commsman
29th March 2013, 03:05 PM
You'll need to make sure GU seat rails fit be suitable or if KAB sell rails to suit the GU.

When I had mine fitted to the GQ I had a set of Recaro seats fitted on top of the bases. KAB sold the base with an adapter for the GQ floor pan to bolt down, but of course it didn't fit, and also sold me adapters for the top to bolt the Recaro seats to. Both of the adapters were off the shelf brackets. Unfortunately neither of the brackets fitted the base and seat together. I rang them up and arranged to take the car in for them to look at; which they saw there was an obvious problem. It took about three hours, but they fashioned up a couple more brackets and we made an adapter for the bottom of the base to make it sit in the car properly and a bracket for the top of the base so it fitted the seats properly, fitted them in the car, adjusted the weight and the height was great.

They were fantastic on road and if anything off road was a little too bouncy I'd just lock them into place for a flat ride. I had both passenger and driver sides and it was always a source of entertainment for the passenger and even the people in the back watching those in the front bounce up and down.

I did find they were a little too bouncy when dialled up to my exact weight and I just used to dial an extra 20 KG's onto them above my weight to help them not bounce around as much as normal.

Brian.