PDA

View Full Version : Centre console too low to use as arm rest. (GQ)

ripper
11th December 2010, 04:35 AM
Does anyone else find the centre console way too low to use as an armrest?
Seems crazy to me that Nissan didn't make it heaps higher.
Not so bad for the driver because they have the wheel to hang on to. Not good for the front passenger though.
I'm thinking of doing something to make the lid higher. Has anyone done something like this?

my third 256
11th December 2010, 04:52 AM
hi ripper i had this problem in my gq the wife keept complaining so i said if you dont like it we had better get a different 4x4
she liked the armrest in the gu so that was that what a way to upgrade the patrol
she also used to put a pillow on the centre consol this helped a little but every time the jack russle wanted to sit on her lap or visit the kids in the back it had to be shifted
hope this helps on any decision you make
stephen

YNOT
11th December 2010, 08:55 AM
Around '96 or '97 (the last of the GQ's) Nissan changed the console lid and made it about 30mm higher.

I'll get photos later but I made my own raised console lid out of MDF and had a trimmer cover it with leather, the armrest part had a layer of high density foam under the leather.

Tony

ripper
11th December 2010, 01:40 PM
Not ready to update My Third, we only got this one this week. Thanks anyway :-)
Thanks YNOT, didn't know that about the last of the GQ's. Photos of yours will be great.

YNOT
11th December 2010, 06:59 PM
Here are the photos of the console lid that I made. It looks a bit the worst for wear now from a couple of years of driving home from the workshop with a dirty left arm.

It used the original hinges and limiting straps, didn't need the latch as it was heavy enough not to move.
The hole in the front was for my Uniden AM CB.

Tony

ripper
11th December 2010, 08:18 PM
That's great Tony. I hadn't thought of just making a box to go on top, I was thinking of remaking the whole console.
Still might one day, but I'll definitely slap together a new lid to try out first.

Finly Owner
12th December 2010, 11:31 PM
Just a thought , take Tonys' idea one step further and put floor in higher lid and double hingeit and have to compartments.

Tim

GQ UTE
2nd January 2011, 11:06 AM
Few great ideas here!
I dont have photos but my last gq i had the lid trimmed by a mate of mine, it had about 40mm of foam put on the lid that was quite dense yet still comfortable and then trimmed in leather!
Was a great little addition ill see if i can find an old photo!

ripper
3rd January 2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks GQ Ute. Now that I've sorted a couple of other issues, it's probably next on the list. Depending on whether some other parts arrive tomorrow.

Previously I thought something like Tony's (YNOT) and about 100mm high would be good. Sitting in the passenger seat today I decided even higher. 100mm on top of what's there already, and I think I'll extend it further forward too.