PDA

View Full Version : The VKS-737 Radio Network

NP99
19th March 2013, 12:15 AM
http://www.vks737.on.net/

The VKS-737 Radio Network is a Public Benevolent Institution (Established 1993)
Committed staff and volunteers, provide information and support for Australia's remote travellers
on land, at sea, or in the air.

OUR MISSION STATEMENT
To provide emergency and general radio communications assistance services to people who live, work or travel in rural
and remote areas of Australia, and to be the pre-eminent provider of high frequency radio
communications services throughout rural and remote areas of Australia.

threedogs
19th March 2013, 12:33 AM
Think John Cullen from Time Plus in Melb is right into this Network
Could be wrong ,it is med day

BigRAWesty
19th March 2013, 01:46 AM
Have jumped on a few times for the evening reads when out with the father in-law. Great service and hopefully they continue to get funding to operate.
They convey some very good info to very remote areas..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

oncedisturbed
19th March 2013, 02:00 AM
Haven't utilised them yet as I don't have an HF radio at the moment. Graham Cahill from 4WDA speaks very highly of the staff there

DX grunt
19th March 2013, 08:51 AM
Glad you brought this subject up.

I'm VKS737 Mobile 3748.

I absolutely love the service this organisation provides, and can't speak highly enough of the operators. I always give them a call when I go camping and sometimes call them when I'm doing local things.

When I was in the Navy, HF radio was my 'bread and butter' It can be challenging, but when you hear the operator talk back from miles and miles away, it's a great feeling. They have 2 skeds a day and it's good to find out where other members are and what they're doing.

I normally go through Meekatharra - in the middle of WA, for all my radio skeds. When down south, near Albany WA, I've gone through Adelaide - mostly got through on the first call.

I also subscribe to HF Tel. It costs me $13 a month and I get 10 mins worth of free phone calls. You have the option of continuous subscription or connect/disconnect when you want. I found it more convenient to pay for 12 months, and know it's available 24/7.

Even though I've got a mobile phone with external aerial, I find it more re-assuring to have Plan B in place.

If anybody subscribes to VKS 737, please feel free to give me a call. I have my HF radio turned on 'scan' mode when ever I'm on the move.

The general rule is high frequencies during the day and low at night.

Catch you on the airwaves. Mobile 3748.

If you see a vehicle with a big thick aerial base with a fibreglass or wire 'whip' aerial, it's probably a HF radio. They come in different size and shapes.
and can be manually tuned (get out of the car and change plugs) or auto tuned (automatically tune the aerial for you). Here's my auto tune on the front left of the bull bar.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/HF%20radio/MelbournevisitMay2012400.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/HF%20radio/NGTAR-HFRadiohandset-1.jpg

Take care out there.

Rossco

NP99
19th March 2013, 02:05 PM
Glad you brought this subject up.

I'm VKS737 Mobile 3748.

I absolutely love the service this organisation provides, and can't speak highly enough of the operators. I always give them a call when I go camping and sometimes call them when I'm doing local things.

When I was in the Navy, HF radio was my 'bread and butter' It can be challenging, but when you hear the operator talk back from miles and miles away, it's a great feeling. They have 2 skeds a day and it's good to find out where other members are and what they're doing.

I normally go through Meekatharra - in the middle of WA, for all my radio skeds. When down south, near Albany WA, I've gone through Adelaide - mostly got through on the first call.

I also subscribe to HF Tel. It costs me $13 a month and I get 10 mins worth of free phone calls. You have the option of continuous subscription or connect/disconnect when you want. I found it more convenient to pay for 12 months, and know it's available 24/7.

Even though I've got a mobile phone with external aerial, I find it more re-assuring to have Plan B in place.

If anybody subscribes to VKS 737, please feel free to give me a call. I have my HF radio turned on 'scan' mode when ever I'm on the move.

The general rule is high frequencies during the day and low at night.

Catch you on the airwaves. Mobile 3748.

If you see a vehicle with a big thick aerial base with a fibreglass or wire 'whip' aerial, it's probably a HF radio. They come in different size and shapes.
and can be manually tuned (get out of the car and change plugs) or auto tuned (automatically tune the aerial for you). Here's my auto tune on the front left of the bull bar.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/HF%20radio/MelbournevisitMay2012400.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/HF%20radio/NGTAR-HFRadiohandset-1.jpg

Take care out there.

Rossco

Do you need a HF licence?

NP99
19th March 2013, 04:42 PM
Just found the answer...........................................

The ACMA has responded to reports of interference being caused on licensed HF radio networks by unlicensed users and non compliant equipment. Over the past six months, Inspectors from ACMA’s Field Operations Section have uncovered a broad range of breaches of the Radiocommunications Act 1992. These include suppliers offering non-compliant HF radio equipment for use in the HF Maritime and HF Land mobile bands and individuals possessing or operating HF radios unlicensed, or not having an appropriate third party authorisation. In response, the ACMA has initiated a range of compliance action including education and issuing of warning notices.

An individual must only use HF radio equipment on HF land mobile bands that is compliant with Australian Standards. This equipment must carry an Australian regulatory compliance marking such as a C-Tick. The owner of the equipment must then be licensed for all the transmit frequencies programmed into the radio. If the radio also has frequencies for the Royal Flying Doctor Service, then the owner must also hold or obtain an Outpost Licence.

No single radiocommunications licence covers operation or possession of an HF radio for multiple uses such as the Royal Flying Doctor Service, 4WD Radio Networks and the maritime or amateur services. Separate licences are required for each of the above categories. Further information on licensing can be found on the ACMA website.

Equipment suppliers have an obligation to ensure that radiocommunications equipment is only supplied to persons who hold an appropriate licence to operate the equipment.

The ACMA operates an Australia wide HF direction finding network that is controlled from Quoin Ridge in Tasmania. As a result, the ACMA has the ability to identify–and respond to–unauthorised use of the HF radio spectrum.

Users of non compliant or unlicensed HF radio equipment have the potential to cause harmful interference to other licensed HF users, such as the Airservices Australia or State and Territory emergency services. Unlawful possession or unlicensed operation of radiocommunications equipment, including HF radios, can attract substantial penalties of $165,000 or 2 years imprisonment.

DX grunt
21st March 2013, 12:06 AM
It cost me $120 to renew my HF licence with VKS737 this year - money well spent.

My radio passed with flying colours as it's a Codan HF NGT AR. lol

I did my apprenticeship with HF radio in the navy as a radio operator for 8 years. Time to go automatic. lol.

Rossco

NP99
21st March 2013, 11:04 PM
it cost me $120 to renew my hf licence with vks737 this year - money well spent.

My radio passed with flying colours as it's a codan hf ngt ar. Lol

i did my apprenticeship with hf radio in the navy as a radio operator for 8 years. Time to go automatic. Lol.

Rossco

an/prc 77 ? :)

oncedisturbed
21st March 2013, 11:09 PM
Haven't used a 77 set in years

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

NP99
21st March 2013, 11:14 PM
Haven't used a 77 set in years

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

You would be surprised what's in use today!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/PRC-152

TPC
21st March 2013, 11:30 PM
It cost me $120 to renew my HF licence with VKS737 this year - money well spent.

My radio passed with flying colours as it's a Codan HF NGT AR. lol

I did my apprenticeship with HF radio in the navy as a radio operator for 8 years. Time to go automatic. lol.

Rossco

I did an apprenticeship with HF radio too, mine was with Traeger Communications in Adelaide.
It was a fascinating place to learn the radio trade.
Have often thought I should get another HF, bloody handy and good insurance for trips.
Agree the service VKS737 provide is great, lots of volunteers giving their time for other peoples safety.