PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

gxr
11th December 2010, 04:16 AM
My GU 2001 with a TB45 seems to have an oil leak that looks like it is coming from the front crankshaft oil seal! Its just a few drops/ day but enough for me to want to replace the seal, what do I need to remove off the front of the engine other than the radiator, fan and belts and the main pulley to get to the seal ? Will I need anything other than the new seal like gaskets etc?

I would appreciate any input

Thanks

YNOT
11th December 2010, 09:08 AM
There's not much to add to what you have already said above.
You will need a puller tool to get the main pulley off, and thread locking compound (we call it loctite in Oz) for the pulley bolt when it goes back together. That pulley bolt will need to be correctly tensioned when it goes back in too.
Be careful removing the old seal, you don't want to damage either the housing or crankshaft.
Inspect the sealing surface on the front crank pulley, if there is excessive wear on it (a groove where the seal lip contacts it) the pulley will need to be either sleeved or replaced.
No other seals or gaskets will be necessary.

Tony

gxr
11th December 2010, 05:16 PM
Good morning Tony,

Thank you for your quick reply, you have set my mind at ease, I was worried it would be more complicated than I thought. However, I was under the impression that the seal fits in the crank case and contacts the shaft, not the pulley? Or is it me misunderstanding the terms?

Thanks again

Marwan

YNOT
11th December 2010, 06:33 PM
Rear crank seal runs on the crankshaft, front crank seal I'm fairly sure runs on the pulley. Does not matter if it runs on the crank instead of the pulley, the job is still the same and you still need to check the surface the seal runs on.
The only thing I can think of that will complicate the job is if your puller tool won't fit between the crank pulley and the A/C condenser.

Tony

gxr
12th December 2010, 05:22 AM
hmmmm I see what you mean, I would hate to have to disconnect that! will have to find a puller that will fit .
I plan to do this on tuesday so will let you know how it goes !

Thanks
Marwan

gxr
15th December 2010, 04:44 AM
Good evening Tony,
Job done ! about 4 hrs ( I was not rushing ) you were spot on, the seal runs on the pulley not the crankshaft and thankfully there were no signs of wear on the surface.
The only tedious bit was getting all the belts off, other than that it was pretty straight forward. I did take the opportunity to change the AC tensioner pulley bearing which was much easier with the radiator out of the way.

Thank you again :Cheers:

Marwan

natourkh
16th January 2011, 10:03 PM
Im plannig to do the same job this weekend, thanks this puts my mind at ease, didnt know what to expect.

bomber
12th February 2011, 12:21 AM
guys i have an oil leak in the front of my transfer case where the drive shaft comes out to the front axle.
Is it a case of remove the transfer case and strip it to replace the seal?

YNOT
12th February 2011, 07:47 AM
guys i have an oil leak in the front of my transfer case where the drive shaft comes out to the front axle.
Is it a case of remove the transfer case and strip it to replace the seal?

The seal can be replaced with the transfer case in place.
Drain the transfer oil, remove the front driveshaft, remove the front driveshat output flange from the transfer case-you will need a puller tool to do this. You now have access to the seal. Check for wear marks on the output shaft flange where the seal runs.

Tony

bomber
14th February 2011, 06:33 AM
thank you thats a relief that its a relatively easy job

falcon
3rd November 2011, 08:36 PM
Great just what I was looking for before I buy a gu it has a leaking crank seal doesn't sound like much of a job

MudRunnerTD
4th November 2011, 12:29 PM
NO doubt about it Tony, your a bloody helpful fella. Good on you for being here. Your a true asset mate.