PDA

View Full Version : Fitting 2 inch lift

twiggsy
17th March 2013, 04:58 PM
Am thinking of making the purchase......finally..... Of a 2 inch lift for the troll. Is it something I would be able to fit myself or should i take it to get installed. Also if I fit it myself is there anything I should look at upgrading replacing at the same time. As far as I know for 2 inches all I really need is the springs and shocks no need for break lines etc.

Cheers.

Twiggsy

93patrol
17th March 2013, 06:10 PM
Should be all good when you do it drop the sway bar links off and the the shocks and you'll be able to pull the old springs out and drop the new ones in without spring compressors. Don't forget to adjust your steering wheel when finished

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Dam355
17th March 2013, 06:15 PM
It's very easy. Did mine a few months ago - should take about 20mins a wheel.

I also used a bottle jack to push the front diff down from the chassis. The springs fell out.

Make sure you disconnect the sway bar.

Tank
17th March 2013, 07:30 PM
If using the bottle jack just make sure you get it square on. I helped a mate do his VX cruiser a couple of years back this way and we had awe woops and the jack came flying out at a million miles an hour and broke his arm, so do be careful.
Also just keep an eye on your brake lines when you drop the diffs down. It also pays to extend the mounting for the front brske lines where they attach to the diff which is real easy to do with a bit of tin or SS

GU4PLAY
17th March 2013, 07:35 PM
also you can get swaybar correction brackets. they fit where your swaybar link connects to your chasis on the rear helps to correct diff position and swaybar angle

benno77gu
17th March 2013, 08:30 PM
hi mate, easy job i suggest you buy some new spring saddle rubbers when i did mine they were worn out , and when i did the front i undid the little brake line tee on the diff and the steering damper it made things a little easier,jack up the vehicle place stands under the chassis so the wheels are off the ground and use your jack to support diff, i took the opportunity to rotate the wheels and check the brakes as well plus it made it a bit easier to fit the new springs and shocks, and undo the sway bars too, it me about two hours but i took it steady and had a little trouble with the front top shock nuts, cheers hope it helps a bit

Lieney
17th March 2013, 08:55 PM
If ya can get hold of a 4 post hoist it will be quick as.

MudRunnerTD
17th March 2013, 09:27 PM
If you grab the lift kit before Easter you are welcome to drive to Lara and fit it in my driveway. I will be doing a diff swap and will be busy but if you get stuck I will be 10m away.

Really easy job though mate.

04OFF
17th March 2013, 10:31 PM
hi mate, easy job i suggest you buy some new spring saddle rubbers when i did mine they were worn out ,

Good advice, its hard to tell how shagged they are till you get them out, then its too late to order some, made the same mistake myself.

twiggsy
19th March 2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks all for the advice. Very helpful. Lets see how things go!!!

jack
19th March 2013, 09:14 PM
If you grab the lift kit before Easter you are welcome to drive to Lara and fit it in my driveway. I will be doing a diff swap and will be busy but if you get stuck I will be 10m away.

Long drive Daz, he's in Williamstown SA

MudRunnerTD
20th March 2013, 12:04 AM
Long drive Daz, he's in Williamstown SA

Lol!! I was thinking just down the road from me!

Oh well! He is still welcome to come for a drive!! Unlikely but he's welcome!

Lmao

lorrieandjas
20th March 2013, 12:26 AM
Easy as mate. Trick is get a trolley jack and do left or right side first then the other side - easier than front then back or back then front. Also - rather than mucking around with disconnecting the brake line on the front (rear will be fine) just get a crowbar and lever the tee it is mounted to up a little (be gentle) and you will be right. Also - the tip with the bottle jack is a good one - but be careful!

Jas

Punderhead
20th March 2013, 12:57 AM
for the front just pull the front bolt out of the radius arm (only one), disconnect the swaybar and shock, and it will drop enough that you wont need the bottle jack. You can jack up the radius arm after the wheel is back on to line it up easily!

Well, thats what I did on my mates and my dad patrols!

Cheers!

Parksy
22nd March 2013, 08:28 PM
Just did this job myself. The rears are a lot easier than the front. The shocks were the hardest part. When you go to put the rear shocks on, put it on the bottom first. Then using brute force, you can then place the top of the shock into position.
Fronts springs are abit more difficult, but lots of good pointers here which I used and helped a lot. On the front shock, there is a small flat on the threaded section, I think it's a 6mm flat, I just used a shifter to stop the shock turning when undoing the nut.