PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Stop for GQ

ilikedonuts_10
10th December 2010, 06:54 PM
Hi all,

I need to get a new set of bonnet stops for my GQ and have been looking around a bit on ebay. I was talking to a guy who suggested using 80 series bonnet stops as he found the nissan rubbers kept breaking.

Would anyone suggest this or should I stick to the nissan makes?

ilikedonuts_10
10th December 2010, 06:54 PM
Also I can't seem to find the 80 series ones online, does anyone know where I could get these from?

my third 256
11th December 2010, 04:21 AM
hi i replaced mine with scannia ones off a fire truck they are a universal thing hunt around they a very cheep dont pay ebay prices ripoff
even try truck dismantelers

gec
11th December 2010, 11:50 AM
I use the rubber chair stoppers that you buy from Bunnings at 2 bucks for a set of four and they last for a couple of years http://www.stopfloorscratching.com/images/CT716_thumb.gif

MudRunnerTD
15th December 2010, 06:33 PM
I did the Chair stop for few years but during the last build i replaced them with Genuine Nissan ones and am very happy with them. I got them off Ebay and would buy them again. I think they will outlast me though.

Baileys
15th December 2010, 06:37 PM
I use the rubber chair stoppers that you buy from Bunnings at 2 bucks for a set of four and they last for a couple of years http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/
I have done this same thing and they have lasted over 8 years and still look good.
"Baileys"

PissantPatrol
18th December 2010, 04:05 PM
I have done this same thing and they have lasted over 8 years and still look good.
"Baileys"

I used cloth tape which has held for about 6 months but looks horrible. Luckily no one gets to look at them too often. I like the chair leg rubbers idea. Any mods necessary or just slip on?

Cheers
Rick

gec
18th December 2010, 04:36 PM
I used cloth tape which has held for about 6 months but looks horrible. Luckily no one gets to look at them too often. I like the chair leg rubbers idea. Any mods necessary or just slip on?

Cheers
Rick

Nah mate no mods needed, just slip it on and your ready for action LOL

PissantPatrol
19th December 2010, 12:33 AM
And do you have any probs with the bonnet sticking? I currently have to give it a thump while pulling the release cable to get it off the bonnet stops.

gec
19th December 2010, 01:51 PM
Nah no probs with sticking, maybe ya release mechanism needs a bit of lube

nismat
19th December 2010, 04:48 PM
Rubber chair stoppers seem like a great idea, unfortunately I just ordered a set off ebay yesterday... $22 :-(

red92gq
19th December 2010, 05:45 PM
Pull the original bonnet stop apart an slip an old shock rubber onto it follwed by a panel washer.
Then just do the nut up until the rubber mushrooms over the bonnet stop an screw the whole lot back onto vehicle .
Costs nothing an works great.

Chris72GQ
19th December 2010, 06:08 PM
i also used the chair stops, got the black ones for about $4 a pack of 4. when i put them on they sat a little to high, so just had to adjust the rod down a little bit, then once it was all sitting right used asmall dob of sika to hold the stoppers on. been on over 12 months now and they still look good

PissantPatrol
19th December 2010, 06:13 PM
Nah, I've tried that but I guess perhaps bonnet alignment, though it looks alright. Fore and aft perhaps?

GQ UTE
2nd January 2011, 09:54 AM
I used a rubber i found in bunnings to re-do mine!
Was like a small door stop rubber and just sikaflexed them onto the original mounts.
Never had a drama since!

adamg
20th January 2011, 04:41 PM
I like the shock rubber solution, changing the shocks today, perfect timing.

Col.T
20th January 2011, 04:59 PM
I used a rubber i found in bunnings to re-do mine!
Was like a small door stop rubber and just sikaflexed them onto the original mounts.
Never had a drama since!
Way to go. Mine were attached using the original metal thread holder
Col.

scrawn
22nd January 2011, 01:56 PM
rubber chair stops that a great idea you found going to try that myself now

Bigrig
23rd January 2011, 01:30 PM
As most who know me know, I'm all good for the 'home fix' as it were, but seriously, for about $20 you can pick up a set of original looking ones ... Yep, some are extortionate, but mine were brand spanking new ones and from memory (I'll drag the receipt out) they were $11 each ... Allowed me to adjust them which keeps the bonnet/quarter panels lined up, unlike others you see where the bonnet sits up or down (normally down) from the quarter panel line and just looks cheap and nasty ...

No offence intended before anyone goes on the defence ... Just my two cents worth ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Col.T
24th February 2011, 03:51 PM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Biggy
Man, am I impressed!
Reckon you're gonna have to stop that though before you go blind!
Tappy tap on your ibone. Strewth mate, that's wild.
Just wish I was as technically advanced.
All the best
Col
p.s. better late than never.

cnw351
8th March 2011, 06:10 AM
Great info about the chair stops, thanks. My brothers bonet has been moving around for a while cause he couldn't find original.

boggy2006
8th March 2011, 11:19 AM
Great info about the chair stops, thanks. My brothers bonet has been moving around for a while cause he couldn't find original.

there's lots on Ebay, not sure how long they will last, but fitted them a couple of months ago, so will find out.

HILLBILLY BOY
9th March 2011, 12:00 PM
I was going to buy genuine ones but ended up using the chair leg rubbers instead, I figure by the cost of genuine there are heaps of chair stoppers for the price.

So far I am very happy with them and another mate and his uncle use the chair rubbers aswell so I will keep using them and recommending them to others.

simongnz
25th March 2011, 09:16 AM
I'm off to Bunnings this afternoon now! Great tip re: the chair rubbers.

WHITEGQ
17th April 2011, 09:50 AM
Hi,
I just removed the old broken rubbers and slipped some heater hose over the steel part then cut hose about 5mm longer than the steel, has been on there over 12 months now, no rattles, no sticking bonnet, if you cut hose to long then just adjust the height of the stops. Did it to my MQ that had before buying current GQ were on there for 3 years and still on there when I sold it. Mightnot look as good as chair rubbers, but if you have a bit of heater hose lying around it is free.

growler2058
17th April 2011, 12:33 PM
Hi,
I just removed the old broken rubbers and slipped some heater hose over the steel part then cut hose about 5mm longer than the steel, has been on there over 12 months now, no rattles, no sticking bonnet, if you cut hose to long then just adjust the height of the stops. Did it to my MQ that had before buying current GQ were on there for 3 years and still on there when I sold it. Mightnot look as good as chair rubbers, but if you have a bit of heater hose lying around it is free.

Onya mate headin out to the shed shortly.

timbar
17th April 2011, 12:35 PM
the old rubber door stops work well

timbar
17th April 2011, 12:43 PM
cut them down and screw on easy 5 mins job
Bunnings or a hardware less than or close to $2 each

duane1234
18th April 2011, 12:40 PM
Can u get them through repco

Col.T
18th April 2011, 06:55 PM
Hi,

Gotta say Whitey, that's bloody good thinking. Even the door stops I used do compress and break down over time but I reckon while the hose may compress a bit but hold it's form longer. Worth a try for sure.
Col

Silver
18th April 2011, 11:25 PM
G'day Big Rig - you can still adjust - the chair stopper just slips over the metal parts of the original - I had to trim mine a bit. And I have yet to use a wad punch to make a hole for the #2 phillips.