PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: fitting winch rope

Cuppa
16th March 2013, 02:49 PM
Saturday arvo.
I have just removed the wire cable off the winch drum of my Warn winch. It was secured to the drum with a very short bolt with a rounded head with a 5/8ths hex key hole. (see pic). Problem is, is that the bolt is too short to attach the synthetic rope onto the drum & the only bolt I have of the right thread has a standard hex head. (Also in pic).

What I need to know is whether I should use my hex head bolt or whether this is likely to damage the synthetic rope. I suspect that this is the case, but am hoping otherwise, as it will be Tuesday before I can get to the bolt shop.

Cuppa

threedogs
16th March 2013, 02:52 PM
File off any sharp edges But IMO it should be ok,

GUtsy ute
16th March 2013, 03:05 PM
Dome the head with a grinder leaving enough of the spanner flats to tighten it.

Cuppa
16th March 2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks TD & GU,
I have now found a stainless allen bolt (hex key) of the right thread lurking in the recesses of the shed, ground it down a bit , including bevelling the edges of it's head & polished it up. Should do the job.

Cuppa

megatexture
16th March 2013, 04:04 PM
I had the same issue cuppa and like you it happened at an inconvenient time .I did the same fix as your referring to with intentions to fix it later, after not fixing it later and 9 months passing and a few winches I've had no issue with it lol.

Cuppa
16th March 2013, 04:22 PM
Reassuring to hear, thanks MT.

Cuppa