PDA

View Full Version : Gasmaster Butane Double Burner BBQ

wolften
16th March 2013, 08:53 AM
Just saw this (http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/18786/product/gasmaster-butane-double-burner-bbq-18818) double butane cooker for 60 bux on catchoftheday and ordered one seeing how I missed out on that other one similar to this, bugga, forgot the name of da udder one:clownredpuff:

Dominator
16th March 2013, 08:59 AM
I just upgraded to a gas (LPG) double burner. $50 from BCF, but you do need to buy a gas bottle too, I already had a 2kg bottle. I found those butane ones chew through the canisters way too fast.

MudRunnerTD
16th March 2013, 09:03 AM
Rays Outdoors now sell them for $34.95 but they don't come in a blow mould case (which is huge) normal price is $50 rrp. BCF will have the same thing.

MudRunnerTD
16th March 2013, 09:05 AM
I have the COTD one for about 18 months and its great but Rays have it all sorted now. The Blowmould case is massive!

Cuppa
16th March 2013, 10:50 AM
I know that plenty of folks have used those butane stoves for ages without problem.......... But........ During our travels around Oz I heard of several first hand instances where folks had been using them & they blew up, luckily with only minor injuries, singed hair & the like. One person had their vehicle saved by a quick thinking neighbours with a fire extinguisher. The main problem is that folk tend to put to large pots or frypans onto them, which partially sit over the top of the canister compartment.

However I removed the one I had fitted to an external drop down door on the side of our bus after the seal between the canister & the stove became leaky. First I knew was when I lit the stove the flames weren't where they were supposed to be. I reckon I was pretty lucky it wasn't worse.

I had a heap of (brand name) canisters left over, & more recently bought a blowtorch attachment for them to solder up some Andersen plugs. New canister worked just fine for the first few I did, but then started leaking. I could see the vapour escaping. If I hadn't been on the ball it could have been pretty nasty.

As a result I've now given up on any appliances which use those canisters, I just don't trust them any more. When using yours please don't get complacent with them. Check EVERY time you use them to ensure you have no leaks.

Cuppa

NP99
16th March 2013, 11:40 AM
I know that plenty of folks have used those butane stoves for ages without problem.......... But........ During our travels around Oz I heard of several first hand instances where folks had been using them & they blew up, luckily with only minor injuries, singed hair & the like. One person had their vehicle saved by a quick thinking neighbours with a fire extinguisher. The main problem is that folk tend to put to large pots or frypans onto them, which partially sit over the top of the canister compartment.

However I removed the one I had fitted to an external drop down door on the side of our bus after the seal between the canister & the stove became leaky. First I knew was when I lit the stove the flames weren't where they were supposed to be. I reckon I was pretty lucky it wasn't worse.

I had a heap of (brand name) canisters left over, & more recently bought a blowtorch attachment for them to solder up some Andersen plugs. New canister worked just fine for the first few I did, but then started leaking. I could see the vapour escaping. If I hadn't been on the ball it could have been pretty nasty.

As a result I've now given up on any appliances which use those canisters, I just don't trust them any more. When using yours please don't get complacent with them. Check EVERY time you use them to ensure you have no leaks.

Cuppa

Good advice mate, plus I'm sure all those canasters are coming out of the same factory in South Korea.

oncedisturbed
16th March 2013, 11:46 AM
I have the original U-Bute twin burner with hot plate and have never had an issue, also don't put over-size pots etc on it either. The blow mold case is very large and does take up quite a bit of room but still worth using it :)

04OFF
16th March 2013, 11:55 AM
The main problem is that folk tend to put to large pots or frypans onto them, which partially sit over the top of the canister compartment.

Cuppa

So are you saying that the hot gas is then forced over the canister ,and heats it up till it explodes ?

wolften
16th March 2013, 12:32 PM
...some good info there.
'Spose one should always check and tighten the canister before use.

Cuppa
16th March 2013, 01:34 PM
So are you saying that the hot gas is then forced over the canister ,and heats it up till it explodes ?

Yup, if oversize pots & pans are used, which although obvious when mentioned, is something that is not uncommonly done.

Clunk
16th March 2013, 02:08 PM
Also have TCOD ubute 2 burner....... Works just great and again yes the case is big but keeps it all secure

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

threedogs
16th March 2013, 03:03 PM
Has anyone ever read operating intstructions I know I haven't
They are really only for the kettle or small frypan.
Bit of common sense really ,plus why buy the twin burner for $35 when you can buy
2 singles for $12 each

Clunk
16th March 2013, 03:38 PM
Because this one also comes with a hot plate which as you know is handy for bbq's

What you tapin at!!!!!????

billy bleed
29th March 2013, 06:07 PM
I've always used these puppies when out hiking - would last me days and never failed.. plus fitted in the palm of your hand!

http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/optimus-crux-hiking-gas-stove-burner/opt00000

great little back up for the 4x4!

threedogs
29th March 2013, 06:14 PM
@ Billy bit pricey just for a single burner.
Can see its great as a space saver though,

billy bleed
29th March 2013, 06:38 PM
yeah very true re the price - but the quality of build, ease of use, and space saving meant that it was worth it when carrying a 40ltr back pack with all gear for 3-4 days out bush.. i ending up collecting all different brands of these to find out which worked best.. cost me a small fortune but i do love em.. just don't know where most of my gear is now..

BoojaBear
7th June 2013, 12:20 AM
You can get the cylinder cheap fro woolies

oncedisturbed
7th June 2013, 01:49 AM
I bought a similar kit similar to BB's on special from Anconda that had the burner, mini gas lantern, twin pot's, non scratch gauze type cleaner and carry bag for $60 that stay in the troll all the time.

The burner and lantern also come in their own plastic protective box case as well. Run like a dream and are used regularly. The lantern uses a Citronella blend gas canister I found through BCF and is awesome when the bugs are out