PDA

View Full Version : Engine cutting out

Matho
10th December 2010, 05:44 PM
Hi Matho here, I bought a 2008 - 3 Litre Turbo Diesel Nissan Patrol 3 months ago and I have an ongoing problem with the engine cutting out for a second or two when I accelerate away from the traffic lights, (normal acceleration not hard) which Nissan have tried to find but it does not play up when they try it. It will go for a 1,000 kilometres with no problems then it will do it two or three times on one day then it will not do it again for maybe 400 to 500 kilometres, it has Nissan beat.

I am hoping someone else may have had the same problem and may be able to advise me what to do, other than that, I am very pleased with it. I am going to hooking up the cravan for the first time just before Christmas and was hoping to have it sorted before it lets me down out west. I have had it back to Nissan 3 times now under warranty and they say they cannot do anything now until it stops completely. I just hope that I am not out bush with the caravn when it does stop.

I would be grateful for any advice that may help solve the problem.

Thanks - Matho

Woof
10th December 2010, 06:47 PM
Welcome Matho, just moved your post here so you can get some assistance hopefully.

Maxhead
10th December 2010, 07:01 PM
Hi Matho,

I haven't got the same issue as you describe above, it sounds like turbo lag but you shouldn't normally experience it under normal acceleration.

I have an issue with mine( pretty common on all CRD's) where you momentarily loose power when putting your foot down hard to accelerate uphill. I think the CRD's have a better boost/overboost control and it's some kind of protection kicking in.
I have now changed my driving style to suit the truck and no longer experience this issue ( or very rarely) . I can replicate the issue everytime if I try .
This was a lot more noticeable when towing my camper trailer which was only around 1t.

Sorry I can't help much more but I do know the CRD's have a habit of this type of behavior

Make sure your air filter is clean at all times and also your MAF. I notice improvement every time I change my filter and clean my MAF.

Cheers

ilikedonuts_10
10th December 2010, 07:40 PM
Hi Mate,

I have the same problem and I have a petrol gas GQ.

Any suggestions?

MudRunnerTD
10th December 2010, 10:43 PM
Hi Mate,

I have the same problem and I have a petrol gas GQ.

Any suggestions?

Hey mate your problem is likely to be the balance tube that goes from your intake to your LPG converter starving and running too lean. Cant help you with the fix but i reckon that is your problem, I have read about dampening the cross over so that it limits the lean out. or even turning your Snorkel head around may help.

To the OP... Sorry cant help ya mate. but you should find an answer here or on the net somewhere i reckon. There are some pretty switched on people online that know the 3.0lt. I am not one of them.

Matho
11th December 2010, 01:36 PM
Welcome Matho, just moved your post here so you can get some assistance hopefully.

Many Thanks for that, I am new to this and found your site by accident.

Cheers

Matho

Matho
11th December 2010, 01:42 PM
Many Thanks for that NissPat, mine is not under hard acceleration. It had a 40,000 kilometre service with Nissan not long before I purchased it, so the air filter will be clean. I have tried to replicate it so that I can tell the guys at Nissan what to look for but cannot. On one trip to the dealer I picked it up after they had it for the day and could not find any problem, then when I left the workshop it did it several times in 100 metres, so I swung straight back and the mechanic hooked his computer up and we tried for a half hour driving around but it would not do it again. It has us all beat.

Thanks for your tip.

Cheers

Matho

Matho
11th December 2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks Mudrunner TD, I don't have Gas on my unit, so I will keep looking and hopefully someone will come up with an answer.

Cheers

Matho

Matho
11th December 2010, 01:48 PM
Sorry mate, I wish I did.

Cheers

Matho

Matho
28th March 2011, 05:48 PM
Engine constantly cutting out for a couple of seconds.

Hi everyone,

I jumped onto the Nissan Facebook site and posted my problem, within 5 minutes Harm Jacob Van Dijk came back and suggested that it could be be a faulty relay supplying the ECU, the dealer in Ipswich checked it today while it was having it's 50,000 service, and sure enough it was faulty. I have only done 50 odd kilometres since it was changed, but so far, so good, hopefully it has fixed the problem with the engine cutting out.

I cannot "Thank" Harm enough for his tip on the problem as Nissan Australia told the dealer that they had no idea what the problem was. So if you ever have this problem with your 3 litre turbo diesels, get your dealer to check the relay supplying the ECU.

Cheers and safe motoring. I can now go to Cape York with peace of mind.

Matho (Snr)

Bigrig
28th March 2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks for taking the time to let us know mate - greatly appreciated and glad you're sorted for your trip!!

Matho
29th March 2011, 04:07 PM
No worries Bigrig, I hope it is of some help to anyone else who may have this problem, as Nissan were unable to help me because they had not come across this problem before. Cheers Matho.

Bigrig
29th March 2011, 06:04 PM
No worries Bigrig, I hope it is of some help to anyone else who may have this problem, as Nissan were unable to help me because they had not come across this problem before. Cheers Matho.

You're only down at Camira mate - should organise a catchup for a couple - happy to come down your way.

Matho
30th March 2011, 05:20 PM
Hi Bigrig

Anytime mate, looking at what you have done to your vehicle, you sound like my son, (John Jnr) he has a 4.2 litre Nissan Patrol ute with a 5" lift and a rollcage on the rear in a specially built tray. If you go up to Landcruiser Park you would see him as he spends a lot of time up there. Two of my daughters and their husbands also have 4WD's, one has a 2010 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel, and the other one has a 2010 Pajero Turbo Diesel.

We are all going up to Landcruiser Park for the weekend of the 8th - 10th of April. I tried to attach a photo of my sons Patrol on this but I don't know how to.

Cheers

John (Matho)

Bigrig
30th March 2011, 05:43 PM
Hi Bigrig

Anytime mate, looking at what you have done to your vehicle, you sound like my son, (John Jnr) he has a 4.2 litre Nissan Patrol ute with a 5" lift and a rollcage on the rear in a specially built tray. If you go up to Landcruiser Park you would see him as he spends a lot of time up there. Two of my daughters and their husbands also have 4WD's, one has a 2010 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel, and the other one has a 2010 Pajero Turbo Diesel.

We are all going up to Landcruiser Park for the weekend of the 8th - 10th of April. I tried to attach a photo of my sons Patrol on this but I don't know how to.

Cheers

John (Matho)

Champion! I'll PM you my mobile - give me a buzz when it suits and we'll organise a couple of cold ones!

We have been to LCMP twice this year, but will keep the eyes peeled for your sons rig - sounds like a weapon!!

lg 91
24th July 2011, 09:16 PM
gday sorry for bring up an old thread but mine has developed a simalar problem. when i hit the acclorator when about to take off it does nothing for 10 or so secconds the car will just idle then comes good i thought it could be the thottle postion switch would this log a fault code. i might just drop it of to nissan 2morro and see what thay come up with.

chears lg91

Matho
25th July 2011, 05:12 AM
Hi lg91, mate I wish I had an answer for you, but my Patrol is still having the same problem with the engine cutting out, I have been recording the date, time, location and speeedo reading ever since it started after I bought it in September last year, so far I have 7 A4 pages of dates on when the engine cut out. Neither my local dealer in Ipswich or Nissan Australia know what the problem is. It has been back to the dealer on several occasions which have ben unsuccessful. I recently did a trip to the tip of Cape York and I was concerned that it would let me down on the side of the road, but it did not. However it still kept cutting out, sometimes two or three times in the one day then nothing for a week or so. It only happens when I am taking off from the traffic lights or pulling out of my driveway, it does not happen at speed. I just wish Nissan could find the problem as sometimes it cuts out in scary situations. Changing the air filter did not make a difference and neither did the changing of the faulty relay on the ECU. I wish I had an answer for you. Cheers Matho (Snr)

lg 91
25th July 2011, 03:55 PM
well i took the car into nissan today and they found a fault code its the throttle postion sensor

Matho
26th July 2011, 08:11 AM
Many Thanks lg 91, I will let my local dealer know as it is almost due for it's 60,000 service and get them to check this during the service. I hope this has fixed your problem and I hope it fixes mine. If it does I will post the result for everyone to see. Cheers Matho.

pjhicks3
11th January 2013, 12:38 PM
Hi Matho, I have a 2008 CRDI Patrol (auto) and I think mine does a similar thing.. I have been looking everywhere for a solution, but haven't found one yet. i am a Mechanic by trade and have done several tests myself, however it doesn't do it regularly enough to bother me enough if it doesn't get worse.. I have sort of let it go a little, and I don't mind so much unless it gets worse, or unless it is causing some other sort of damage, but i've been putting up with it for 18 months, and it's not getting worse. My thoughts are it is a computer/electrical delay and have sort of left it at that. Mine mainly does it if I am cruising along - say 40-60km/h and I put the foot down to accelerate up a hill, it seems to have a small flatspot before it kicks in, or before it changes gear etc.. Just wondering if your's is an Auto?
I seem to be able to replicate it easily if I am out 4wdriving and I notice it on the high range 40-60km/h sort of roads when going up hills..
still interested to find out what it is, so would be interested if anyone else manages to fix it...

WogsRus
11th January 2013, 12:48 PM
Almost sounds like limp home mode?

Matho
12th January 2013, 05:52 AM
Almost sounds like limp home mode?

Hi WogsRus

Thank you for your e-mail, we sold our house and have moved so I have been out of action for a while, I am not that computer savy, so I hope I am replying to you in the right place on this forum.

Yes my 2008 Patrol is a 3 litre turbo model with auto transmision.

I have a list of 21 A4 pages of dates, times, speedo readings and what I was doing when it cut out on me, unfortunately it never plays up when Nissan try to locate the problem, I can go weeks sometimes without it cutting out, then it will cut out 2, 3 & sometimes 4 times in the one day, or it may cut out several days in a row, then nothing for a few weeks again.

It can be hundreds of kilometres between cut outs, or it can be within a couple of kilometres of each cut out. I once did around 900 kilometres going to Cape York before it cut out, then as I left the Jardine River ferry it cut out on me.

It mainly cuts out when I leave a carpark for instance in first gear, but it has cut out in reverse and sometimes changing from 1st to 2nd, but it mainly cuts out in 1st gear as I am starting off, or if I am pulling out of a servo for instance, stop at the kerb, then go to accelerate into the traffic, it cuts out, but I cannot make it do it. Nissan have basically washed their hands of it because they cannot get it to do it when they test it.

It is driving me nuts and at times it has given me a scare when I have been towing my caravan.

I am at a loose end as to what the problem is, when I first bought the vehicle Nissan changed several things including the limp home node you talk about, but the problem is still there.

The warranty runs out in December 2013, so I am hoping it will just stop altogether before then so that it can be fixed. I am headding off to Gladstone in a couple of hours for about 10 days, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

Matho

greynomad
2nd March 2013, 01:48 AM
Had a similar problem with a 2010 3.0 litre CRD auto, it was a faulty stop light switch, it turns the engine to idle when it thinks the brake pedal has been depressed, it's a normal feature that no one knew about until it was diagnosed by a sharp operator, then nissan admitted to it. F&^* scary when it does it in the middle of a busy intersection!!!!!.

greynomad
2nd March 2013, 01:55 AM
Had the same problem with a new 2010 3 litre CRD, it was a faulty stop light switch which shuts the engine to idle, a design feature which Nissan found out about 2 years after I complained bitterly. Scary when you cross an intersection

Matho
3rd March 2013, 12:53 PM
Unfortunately the problem was not a faulty relay supplying the ECU, Nissan replaced it but it is still cutting out. Very intermittent unfortunately, it will cut out three or four times in a wekk, then go for three or four weeks before cutting out again. Nissan Australia have basically said until the engine stops completely, they cannot do anything about it.:blowup:

Matho
3rd March 2013, 12:58 PM
Thank Greynomad, unfortunately mine cuts out (Most times) when I leave a car park in i1st ger for 2 to 3 seconds. Howevr it has happened a couple of times in reverse and in the early days it used to be when changing from 1st to second on the auto. I have 19 A4 pages of when it has cut out on me that I have sent to the dealer in Ipswich. But because it is so intermittent they cannot find the fault, Nissan Australia said they cannot do anything until it stops on me. Cheers Matho