PDA

View Full Version : Noisy barn doors on my wagon.

Baileys
10th December 2010, 04:03 AM
Hoping someone has a remedy for me.
I have a 94 GQ wagon and the rear barn doors crack and creak when the vehicle flexes. It's so noisy especially on rough or dirt tracks that it drives me nuts. Everyone that gets in for a ride asks what the noise is and I can't stand it anymore.
I've tried lube-ing it up and I stuck felt on the top rubber stop. Iv'e even tried to unscrew to bump-stop so it doen't touch the door and it's worse...any suggestions or is it common.
Baileys.

YNOT
10th December 2010, 07:14 AM
You might need to adjust the doors tighter to stop them moving, but check the condition of the rubbers first, they may need to be replaced. The problem could also be worn hinges or body flex. Not much you can do about body flex.

Tony

Baileys
10th December 2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks Tony,
I'll try tightning it all up. Is it common?

YNOT
10th December 2010, 12:29 PM
GQ doors and windows rattling, yes, very common! It really depends what condition your car is in, how much hard work its done.
Tightening the door adjustment may not fix it, it's just something to try that won't cost anything.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
10th December 2010, 10:47 PM
Have you got a Body lift? If you do check your rear most mounts behind the rear wheels and make sure they are tight and not broken mounts. This will allow the back of your wagon flex about quite a bit. Mine were like this and the amount of independent movement of the rear shell verses the chassis was crazy.

Baileys
16th December 2010, 02:20 AM
Have you got a Body lift? If you do check your rear most mounts behind the rear wheels and make sure they are tight and not broken mounts. This will allow the back of your wagon flex about quite a bit. Mine were like this and the amount of independent movement of the rear shell verses the chassis was crazy.
Hi MudRunnerTD, I had a look at these mounts......All good. I did some fidling and adjusting...sprayed some WD40 on all the parts...problem solved. It has been a couple of days now and still no creaking...I think it's fixed. I'll keep up the WD40.
Thanks guys........................"Baileys"

jado
24th January 2011, 03:06 AM
i have a gu with barn doors that dont reall rattle to much but they make a nasty sound when i open them and the seal has rubbed paint through to metal along the top of the door opening, my car is in pretty good nik for its age i think its a fairly commmon thing on wagons that get opened from the back alot.

Bigrig
24th January 2011, 11:33 AM
i have a gu with barn doors that dont reall rattle to much but they make a nasty sound when i open them and the seal has rubbed paint through to metal along the top of the door opening

Had the same thing on my GQ - I got some duco paint, cleaned the area and resprayed about 3 coats on it ... hasn't worn back through at all (will over time I know), but an easy fix and cleans the trims up (I did them on every door frame when I got mine just to tidy it up and stop chance of rust spots developing ....