PDA

View Full Version : trans fluid

lufkin
13th March 2013, 10:21 PM
Hi guys tomorrow i will be fitting a trans cooler to my GU 4.5 just wondering as the i'll have to top up the trans after fitting the cooler, is DexIII ok to top it up with? i have a full brand new bottle sitting here, so thought if i could use that, it would be handy

Thanks

Clunk
13th March 2013, 10:32 PM
If it's different to what's in there already, I wouldn't go mixing it..... Just my opinion.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

lufkin
13th March 2013, 10:47 PM
That's the other problem I've had the car a week I don't know what fluids in it. Was hoping dexIII would be ok just to top it up. I also have no book for car so was wondering what oil I should be using anyways if anyone could help. Thanks

rottodiver
13th March 2013, 11:01 PM
Lurking.. Where are you fitting the trans cooler and are you removing the one that is in it?

rottodiver
13th March 2013, 11:02 PM
Sorry lufkin( predictive text on ipad changed your name on the last message)

Clunk
13th March 2013, 11:42 PM
Have you downloaded the user manual from here yet, should have what you need in there.

I know for the TB42 auto it says to use NissanDmatic but I really don't know if its the same for the TB45...............

What you tapin at!!!!!????

lufkin
14th March 2013, 11:59 AM
Lurking.. Where are you fitting the trans cooler and are you removing the one that is in it?

Not sure on exact position I'm fitting it. But it currently doesn't have one to remove. Just the normal into radiator and back out. Which is heating gearbox and water temp on hot days. And towing

lufkin
14th March 2013, 12:02 PM
Yeah heard of the nissandmatic but having no Nissan dealer here was hoping for a alternative to genuine Nissan oil

rottodiver
14th March 2013, 12:15 PM
Lufkin, mine had one standard after the radiator, I replaced it with a bigger one with thermo fan and only managed to fit it in front of radiator, I am currently looking at alternative ones that don't block the radiator as it isn't give me enough cool airflow, I am looking at getting a long narrow one that I can fit down low at the base of my bullbar, near the winch....also hoping the new valve body will keep it cooler!!'

Scotty

lufkin
17th March 2013, 04:34 PM
ok so i was wrong, my car does have a factory trans cooler, when i install new one, would bypassing the radiator be better at keep things cooler? my problem is the trans is heating the water up, so figured if i just ran lines straight to my new cooler rather then radiator then cooler it would be better? yes/no? also thought it was weird that the aircon covers the entire radiator too

rottodiver
17th March 2013, 04:37 PM
My understanding is the radiator is good to keep connected as you don't want the temp too low...

rottodiver
17th March 2013, 04:40 PM
As for the air con... My power steering cooler goes across the front and air con is to the left, maybe aftermarket?? Where are you mounting the new cooler?

twisty
18th March 2013, 12:26 PM
... when i install new one, would bypassing the radiator be better at keep things cooler? ...

My understanding is the radiator is good to keep connected as you don't want the temp too low...

I've bypassed the rad ATF cooler. The stupid plastic Nissan rad killed my auto (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8179-GU1-Auto-Trans-not-engaging). In my research I found that the ATF flows through the rad cooler particularly to warm AT fluid up in cold climates (snow in Canada). Of course it can cool the ATF as well. I don't get much snow here so ...