PDA

View Full Version : RD28 Patrol

luke taylor
12th March 2013, 07:54 PM
hey guys i am looking at buying a patrol/safari , and was wondering what the RD28 motor is like?
are they as bad as i keep hearing they are?
any help wold be much apreciated

taslucas
12th March 2013, 08:00 PM
Gday Luke, welcome aboard. If youve got the time, can you jump over to the introductions thread and say hi. Its just something we like all new members to do:). No harm done and in the meantime you can also use the search function in the top right corner of the screen to help find lots of threads regarding the rd28.
Not sure what you've heard but they are a strong little motor and although definately not a power house, with a bit of maintenance will last for high kilometres.

Hey mods, maybe this thread can be moved to the correct place?

trekster
12th March 2013, 08:03 PM
pffft bad motor, who told you that? Mine has 305k kms on it and going strong, I'm sure others have alot more on thiers as well.... Maybe you thinking of the early ZD30 3litre motors that self destruct.

kevin07
12th March 2013, 08:20 PM
one of my mates has got one with 370000 ks and he wants to put a bigger turbo on it he wouldnt dream of a different motor

fracster
13th March 2013, 02:24 PM
Mine is just run in at 130,000 miles.

MudMac
14th March 2013, 08:19 PM
RD28T isn't so bad ..... but if I would have a choice (on our market, other engines are very rare) I would choose something bigger. If good tuned 2,8 can be nice ..... but it has bad fuel economy compared to the power and torque it's offering. It has aluminium head which require a perfect condition cooling system ... otherwise it's easy to blow it up. If stock .... it can be good for a light SWB with smaller tires. It's not very good for towing as well.
One of it's advantages is weight. Engine with a tranny is about 200kg lighter than TB42 with tranny.