PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil and Filter Specifications

ripper
9th December 2010, 02:29 PM
As a new Patrol owner I was keen to get the oil change info right.

Got the details from the service manual (SAE 20W-50 for our climate & API SE or SF) and went to buy oil. Then I hit a snag, nothing matches the original API specs.

Searched here, searched on another forum, found the best info about oil specs via Google on Clevite's site http://www.stealth316.com/misc/clevite-eng-bearing-fund-p10.pdf

My verdict for the GQ TB42, SAE 20W-50, API- SG oil is the go.

Next question was filters.
Based on comments from other owners, I've decided to go with Z9 or equivalent, rather than the more expensive Z170. It seems the only real physical difference is how big they are.

Clevite's site should help with all oil spec questions, regardless of which model you drive.

MQ MAD
22nd December 2010, 03:58 PM
Z9 to Z170
Yeah just a wee price difference,but for a coupla bucks wouldnt run the risk
Many do the Z9 filters but im sure theres a difference not just physical

ripper
22nd December 2010, 04:35 PM
I'm still open to ideas on the filter (using Z9 at the moment). Everything I read indicated there was no advantage in using a Z170.

Looked at cross reference lists for different brands and got completely confused because they all disagree with each other as to what's equivalent. One thing I have decided is I that wont be using a Coopers/Wesfil filter next time, don't think their anti drain-back valve is good enough.

Do you have any links to tech data on Z170s and Z9s?

PissantPatrol
22nd December 2010, 05:12 PM
As far as the oil goes, the way I understand it at least, the latest API spec supercedes those previous and they seem to be alphabetical ... SE, SF, SG etc

MQ MAD
22nd December 2010, 05:39 PM
Ripper,
Nah no links
But i figure why change something thats right
Even the L28 (MQ/MK)Engines run the Z170,and many wont go to Z9,even on these old motors
Only ever use RYCO filters on all the toys

ripper
22nd December 2010, 10:26 PM
As far as the oil goes, the way I understand it at least, the latest API spec supercedes those previous and they seem to be alphabetical ... SE, SF, SG etc

That's what I figured in the end, just took a bit to see that that's how it works.

Thanks MQ MAD.
I just couldn't see any reason to pay the extra when is seems the only difference is size.

An L28 would be reasonably familiar territory for me. After building an L16 and using it for a few years, I ended up doing a twin carby L20 for my Datsun 1600 years ago.
L28 is the same, just an extra 2 cylinders isn't it.